Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2011, 01:02 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,262,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
That's not slavery, that's racism. There is a big difference between a kid being teased and his great grandfather being a slave.

I don't know where you live, but I've never seen black kids "teased" for slavery. If it was, it was an isolated incident. White people have been attacked solely for being white, but don't take these isolated incidents and act like they are the norm.
I didn't use the word slavery, I used the word traumatic like you did. Why are you putting words in my mouth?

My point was it's a traumatic expericne, and yes it's racism. You have never seen black kids teased about slavery, ok? It happens, especially in white communities with young kids whose parents are probably racist. A lot of kids pick up the stuff at home then bring it to the elementary school yard.

And no, these are not isolated incidents, it happens a lot. If you don't believe it, fine, I can't convince you. You are free to think it's rare if you'd like.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:04 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,849,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
No. They lived in peace and harmony with nature. Their only enemies were other tribes that wanted to enslave them or the random rogue elephant or lion on the rampage.
This is not true either. But if you want the truth, read The Interesting Narrative of Olaudah Equiano and/or Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe if you really want to know what pre-colonial Africa was like...

Old 06-15-2011, 01:05 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
As a disclaimer, this post by nature of the topic will contain generalizations and not cover all possible influences.

There is no singular cause; there are multiple that played out over time. Slavery obviously didn't get things off to a good start. The racism that existed for generations following slavery certainly didn't help either. The reaction against the racism in the form of government programs combined with a reluctance toward standards and accountability has aggravated the situation and prolonged the struggles.

The people that had it right were the civil rights activists in the 60's and like-minded people that just wanted a chance and wanted to perform if given the chance. The people that held that mindset did fairly well for themselves and went on to have kids that are doing well for themselves today.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:11 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,757,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
What school system introduces slavery to elementary school kids?

It really shouldn't be touched until High School.

I think I remember learning about it in 10th Grade (AP American History class).

Why is that?

Old 06-15-2011, 01:11 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
I didn't use the word slavery, I used the word traumatic like you did. Why are you putting words in my mouth?
I was referring to trauma over slavery...

Quote:
My point was it's a traumatic expericne, and yes it's racism. You have never seen black kids teased about slavery, ok? It happens, especially in white communities with young kids whose parents are probably racist. A lot of kids pick up the stuff at home then bring it to the elementary school yard.
You're not hearing me. Kids being teased about slavery may very well be traumatic. You can claim trauma for that, but you can not claim trauma for something that didn't happen to you.

What about my aunt who was killed? Am I a murder victim?

Quote:
And no, these are not isolated incidents, it happens a lot. If you don't believe it, fine, I can't convince you. You are free to think it's rare if you'd like.
I think it's rare. Feel free to show otherwise. And even if you can, I can counter it with examples of violence and discrimination against white people. This type of **** happens, but elementary school teasing is not what's holding back the black community.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
First of all, I don't buy the "no collective unity" bull shiite. Black people are the shining example of "collective unity." 95% of one race don't vote one way out of simple happenstance. Open your eyes.

Second of all, the Welfare State championed by Democrats for the past 50 years is to blame for holding black people down economically. Not the white man. And black people have sucked it up without abandon and with no end in sight....while blaming the White Man for their ills.

Third, all it takes is ONE person to stop the revolving door. ONE! Yet it continues to spin, family after family, until there's barely any semblance of a "black family" anymore. "My Baby Daddy" and "My Baby Mama" has replaced "My Mother" and "My Father."

Fourth, if slavery still continues to hold black people down in today's America, then one can only assume that black people on the whole are weak-willed and absent any apparent fortitude. The truth hurts, but if the "slave" excuse is still used 150 years later, then I truly have zero sympathy for the plight of black people in America. An excuse like that just doesn't jive with the logical mind.

Try the Jim Crow "excuse" or the Southern Strategy "excuse" or the CIA-backed crack epidemic "excuse".

Old 06-15-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
First of all, I don't buy the "no collective unity" bull shiite. Black people are the shining example of "collective unity." 95% of one race don't vote one way out of simple happenstance. Open your eyes.

Second of all, the Welfare State championed by Democrats for the past 50 years is to blame for holding black people down economically. Not the white man. And black people have sucked it up without abandon and with no end in sight....while blaming the White Man for their ills.

Third, all it takes is ONE person to stop the revolving door. ONE! Yet it continues to spin, family after family, until there's barely any semblance of a "black family" anymore. "My Baby Daddy" and "My Baby Mama" has replaced "My Mother" and "My Father."

Fourth, if slavery still continues to hold black people down in today's America, then one can only assume that black people on the whole are weak-willed and absent any apparent fortitude. The truth hurts, but if the "slave" excuse is still used 150 years later, then I truly have zero sympathy for the plight of black people in America. An excuse like that just doesn't jive with the logical mind.
This sounds more like complacency and ignorance than "collective unity". You mention 95% that vote one way... but what percentage of blacks do not vote at all?

What would you do (as a Black person) to address these issues?

Old 06-15-2011, 01:20 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
What would you do (as a Black person) to address these issues?
This is a good question. My absolute first step would be to forget about the past, and refuse to let history get in the way of future success.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
This is a good question. My absolute first step would be to forget about the past, and refuse to let history get in the way of future success.
That's easy to say for somebody whose culture tells them that they have a future. What do you think the cultural impact is of a media that spends an inordinate amount of time focusing on the dregs of the black community (see "Cops", "Gangland", "Gang Wars", Blaxploitation films, Hood films, etc. etc.)? What do you think the cultural impact of said media is on white people's perception of blacks (and particularly on those who don't know any)?

Old 06-15-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
But you know they say that those that forget about the past are doomed to repeat it. It's like a Jew telling his child, "Forget the Holocaust, let's just move forward..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies