Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 04:01 PM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,362,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyMcGarley View Post
The Jetsons foretold this dire situation nearly 50 years ago! Didn't any of the President's economic advisors pick up on this?????
They're too busy watching reruns of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles...

Or was it the Mighty Morphin' Flower Arrangers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 04:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Well it's not entirely bogus. Automation has been eliminating jobs forever.
It's not quite eliminating. Someone had to write that automation software.
Someone had to build that automated machine. And people have to service both. It shifted the job to a more high tech type that are behind the scenes that you don't see.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:16 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,379,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Obama Blames ATMs for High Unemployment

President Obama explained to NBC News that the reason companies aren't hiring is not because of his policies, it's because the economy is so automated. ... "There are some structural issues with our economy where a lot of businesses have learned to become much more efficient with a lot fewer workers. You see it when you go to a bank and you use an ATM, you don't go to a bank teller, or you go to the airport and you're using a kiosk instead of checking in at the gate."

Add this to the list...
Well he is partially right.

How many bank and paper work employees did companies need to have in the past?

Automation leads to less employment. Its one reason why some who follow the economy and world events believe that we are going to have to get used to a 10% unemployment rate from here on out.

Automation also leads to cheaper items.

But the question begs an answer, when most things are automated, and there are half of the jobs that we have today, what to do with the massive unemployed?

Automation is both a blessing and a curse.

Police officers face layoffs with traffic cameras. Store clerks face massive cuts because everything can be bought online. Even planes can be fully automated, imagine if only one pilot was needed per plane?

He didn't blame it on ATM's, he blamed it on automation, and its a viable argument. Specifics would help to understand if its really a major issue.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:43 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,565,449 times
It's extremely obvious that he hasn't been on a commericial flight in well over a decade, since he has no proof whatsoever that self-service kiosks at airports have put thousands of folks out of work, since you still have to check in somewhere before you board your flight.

This brings back equally hilarious images of Bush Sr. recoiling in shock as if he'd been electrocuted the first time he ever saw a grocery store scanner.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:53 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,025,674 times
since the invention of the air powered nail gun my hammer sees less action too, dont even bring up my poor handsaws. But my piece work profits sure have gone up. You use new technology to your advantage just the way it is

Old 06-15-2011, 06:03 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,379,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
since the invention of the air powered nail gun my hammer sees less action too, dont even bring up my poor handsaws. But my piece work profits sure have gone up. You use new technology to your advantage just the way it is
But what happens when they can build a house fully automated?

Less home builders and repairmen will be needed.

Sooner or later, its likely to catch up to more people than you think. You would already be paid more for the jobs you do, because you would do them slower, it would take you longer to do them.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:13 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,747,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Well it's not entirely bogus. Automation has been eliminating jobs forever.

Automation has been creating jobs forever!

Old 06-15-2011, 06:15 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,025,674 times
dont see that happening in my lifetime. since the bubble I have lots of repair,remodel work as folks cant sell and are making improvements instead and hanging on to their homes. how can you possibly automate that. you cant. I can change with the times,I have to

Old 06-15-2011, 06:16 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,044,413 times
"Idiot in chief" strikes again!

I can't wait to see HIS emails!

Old 06-15-2011, 06:17 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,438,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
This is just really sad. The POTUS blaming everybody and everything but his own policies for the nonrecovery under his watch.

I guess they must realize blaming BOOSHBOOSHBOOSH will not work.

I know if i were not reading this and responding, it would be almost too funny, would it not. Appears Obama can blame Bush, and others, for the economy, and now add ATM'S what is it going to be tomorrow.

Face it Obama, no matter what spin you put on our depressing economy, you have had something to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies