Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 02:14 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFPeak View Post
You have it exactly right.

Once again... whenever the right takes power, they begin by bloating the defense budget, cutting taxes for the top percentages so that all the advantages go to the wealthy ruling class of bankers, corporate CEOs and their lobbyists, while working/middle class folks are told:

nothing is free, there is no obligation to provide any safety net, you are on your own and no owes you anything, no matter how hard you work. You don’t need a minimum wage, minimum health care insurance, a safe workplace, clean environment, old age pension or an education if you can’t provide those things at prevailing market prices on your own.

Why?

Because we interpreted the constitution for you and those things aren’t in there. Including any guarantee of help saving your house from being burned down to the ground.
Couldn't agree more.

And while I can buy insurance to protect me from my house burning down, what exactly can I do when the Local Government keeps raising property taxes until they exceed my income? Which is happening in NH today, now that instead of volunteer firefighter force, we have a huge number of "professional firefighters" getting paid crazy inflated salaries with super-generous benefits, but only having to work 2 days a week (paying them for sleeping plus 8 hours of overtime!), and retiring to insane pensions after only 20 years of work.

How did we get to this point? A friend of ours (who is a local Town Official) told us that he once publicly questioned the constantly-increasing budgets of both the police and fire departments, when the population of the town hadn't increased in years. Late one night shortly after he heard noises outside, and went outside and was physically assaulted. The thugs wore hoods but told him unless he wanted a fire to start late one night and burn him and his family, he wouldn't oppose any more firefighter's increases. They told him no fire truck would respond to his address; they'd pretend they got lost. Our friend, still naive at the time, went to the police to file a report. The cops took him aside and told him that cops and firefighters were "brothers" and that they had each other's backs. Also, that the cops would retaliate in their own ways if he persisted in questioning THEIR budget increases.

This is how local government now works in NH, and probably everywhere else. And this is why I believe ALL levels of government MUST be reduced to levels that can once again be controlled by the citizens, which will require gutting all levels to about 1% of their current size and budgets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 02:16 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFPeak View Post
You have it exactly right.

Once again... whenever the right takes power, they begin by bloating the defense budget, cutting taxes for the top percentages so that all the advantages go to the wealthy ruling class of bankers, corporate CEOs and their lobbyists, while working/middle class folks are told:

[color=black][font=Verdana]nothing is free, there is no obligation to provide any safety net, you are on your own and no owes you anything, no matter how hard you work. You don’t need a minimum wage, minimum health care insurance, a safe workplace, clean environment, old age pension or an education if you can’t provide those things at prevailing market prices on your own.
Because we interpreted the constitution for you and those things aren’t in there. Including any guarantee of help saving your house from being burned down to the ground.
Excellent post!

Old 06-15-2011, 02:25 PM

The middle class conservatives are kept in a constant state of agitation and anxiety by their beloved and trusted sources. These sources also jab at their audience with various tales that discredit minorities. Just to increase the blood boiling point. The sources bash and bash, the audience is very sympathetic to the sources and believes it all. Like frenzied hounds on a trail, the middle class conservatives are always searching for scapegoats.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:26 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm middle class and black and I've gravitated towards to Conservatives because their message is a lot more consistent with American ideals than the Dems. Who seem to think folks are not allowed to be responsible for themselves. Now do I agree with everything the GOP does of course not.

Dem policies are in direct conflict to the policies that allowed our country to become number 1 in the first place. Their view of the world would curtail development, ingenuity and ambition. Look what their policies have done to the black community for example. Where you have about 40-50% who think the government is there to support them. We saw the disastrous results of this dependency during Katrina.
How many people affected by Katrina were registered voters. A small margin i think.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:31 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
They vote against themselves because they use information from sound bytes and then have a knee jerk reaction to it and because there family always has and the people in their community as well including their local church.Typical SHEEPLE.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:32 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Well I consider myself middle class, albeit the upper middle class. Certainly not wealthy. The post I was responding to was the post about all of these free things that people get. They are not actually free if you have to give up something for them. If the trade off is to be poor to get the free stuff, I would rather not get the free stuff. Only the absolute truly lazy would do that, I just don't think there is a very large percentage of those people.
I think you'd be surprised at how many lazy and/or dishonest people game the system when they think they can get something for free.

These are the same people who ruined the great merchandise return policy Walmart had. You used to not even need a receipt to return an item for a refund, so people would buy a used Nintendo game system for $150 and return it to Walmart for $500, or just sell back their stolen goods.

As to government safety net programs, they are necessary, but they should only be available for the truly needy. The problem with libs, is they kep expanding these welfare programs to get even the well off middle class addicted to government dependency, the S-CHIP program is a good example.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:36 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
They vote against themselves because they use information from sound bytes and then have a knee jerk reaction to it and because there family always has and the people in their community as well including their local church.Typical SHEEPLE.
Yeah, that's it. I don't buy into turning over my life to a tyrannical, power hungry, nanny state government, because some church tells me so??

Old 06-15-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
The fear to march out of step.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:52 PM

93 posts, read 73,786 times
How is voting Libertarian in MY best interests? Most libs like Paul would just put the corporation in power "unfettered" with regulation...

Not a very good balance IMHO.

In the nineteenth century, libertarians were at the forefront of various causes considered “left-wing” today, including the labor movement, the feminist movement, the abolitionist movement, and the antiwar movement; the causes of libertarians’ long rightward detour and the left’s long stateward detour are a long debated topic but in any case it is long past time for libertarians and the left to slough off their respective authoritarian accretions and rediscover their common radical heritage.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:29 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Yes, I always thought poor/middle class voted more often than not, Democratic,
because they were the recipients and proponents of social
programs like welfare, medicaid, federal/state unions,
federal school grants & loans - Have I been missing
something?
If that were the case, and everyone voted, we would have a landslide for the Dems every election with the Dems getting at least 90% of the vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies