Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 08:22 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
LOL, I clearly enjoy chatting on the internet with the impaired. But I am generous that way. Only a buffoon or the impaired, believe their opinions are facts.
Took you a long time for that one. I guess you were playing with your cat. I am done with this conversation since we have gone off topic. Have a nice night. Thank you for generous contributions to the needy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 08:25 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
Just a quick question......is acting (or voting) in your personal best interest really the best ideal all Americans should espouse to ?

I think at appropriate times not voting your personal best interest could quite possibly be a fine character trait to have.....I certainly would not denigrate it as a stupid thing to do.

For instance....I may vote for a school bond issue even though my kids are already done with school....is that stupid of me ? I don't think so even though it's costing me money and not providing me a direct benefit right now. There are people who are higher minded and think much longer term that our immediate self interest.

I am not sure I follow you. Are you suggesting that you would vote for something that would harm you? Voting for a school bond because you don't directly benefit from it certainly provides some benefit to you (increase or maintain property values for example) isn't a good example. Can you provide me with another example of something you would vote for that provides no benefit for you? I am really intrigued by the idea. I really can't think of anything I may vote on that doesn't affect me in some way, directly or indirectly.

Last edited by shorebaby; 06-15-2011 at 08:34 PM..

Old 06-15-2011, 08:26 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Took you a long time for that one. I guess you were playing with your cat. I am done with this conversation since we have gone off topic. Have a nice night. Thank you for generous contributions to the needy.

I am happy you have benefited.....

Old 06-15-2011, 08:28 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
i am happy you have benefited.....
bff

Old 06-15-2011, 08:31 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
I definitely understand why rich conservatives (koch brothers, etc) are in love with republicans. But what I don't understand is why joe the plumber's number one priority is to funnel his tax dollars up the food chain to the richest americans.

Yes, I understand a lot of conservatives hate gays, minorities, women, etc, but is it really worth the economic garbage that goes along with electing republicans?
Voting for Democratic economic policies, which feature long-term stagnation, increased bureacratic power and reduced individual freedoms, a less prosperous society for our children and grandchildren, massive growth of entitlements, penalizing success and rewarding sloth...is in NO ONE'S best interest. Middle and lower income earners understand this even if you do not.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:11 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Voting for Democratic economic policies, which feature long-term stagnation, increased bureacratic power and reduced individual freedoms, a less prosperous society for our children and grandchildren, massive growth of entitlements, penalizing success and rewarding sloth...is in NO ONE'S best interest. Middle and lower income earners understand this even if you do not.
This is what fox news does to their followers,..Also to OP's post it really all comes down to lack of intelligence.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:04 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
This is what fox news does to their followers,..Also to OP's post it really all comes down to lack of intelligence.
I think we see the answer to the OP's query right here. Why should we put our trust in those who hold us in such contempt?

Really now.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:31 AM

4,904 posts, read 3,361,298 times
Maybe the same type of principle and behavior that leads battered women to go back to their abusive husbands/boyfriends...

They don't know any better and/or have gotten so used to the bad treatment they think that's just the way it is...

Old 06-16-2011, 06:23 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,046 times
Quote:
I am not sure I follow you. Are you suggesting that you would vote for something that would harm you? Voting for a school bond because you don't directly benefit from it certainly provides some benefit to you (increase or maintain property values for example) isn't a good example. Can you provide me with another example of something you would vote for that provides no benefit for you? I am really intrigued by the idea. I really can't think of anything I may vote on that doesn't affect me in some way, directly or indirectly.
Fair enough. How about a person who doesn't drive supporting street improvement projects or conversly, the people who own cars and always drive supporting expanding the city bus routes to help those who don't drive.

To address one poster who said supporting tax breaks for the "rich" is foolish and to my own detrement.....what if I'm a young person making very little money and I believe that if I work hard, one day I'll be successful myself. I can only believe that what inspired this comment is the thought by that poster that few if anybody will ever be more successful than than they currently are and raise their living standard....in other words, this is my lot in life and there is nothing I can to do change it.....kind of sad really to have given up any thought of improvement.

It's not the I think the "rich" shouldn't pay their fair share....but I get real tired of the mantra of those who are less well off always bereating those who are better off and attacking them with hands in their pocket. It just kind of reminds me of school kids who are always pointing at someone else as the source of all of their problems and that someone else should be doing more. We're always pointing fingers it seems. It's real easy to pass off all our financial problems by telling everyone that our neighbor should be paying more....certainly not me.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:18 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,075,318 times
Economic garbage of electing republicans? That is so delusional when every liberal vote is a vote against the best interests of the country - free speech, the free market - if it has anything to do with freedoms of any sort the libs are against it. If it doesn't lead to excessive growth of government and the destruction of the private sector they don't have any use for it.

Bloat the government and take from those that have actually achieved something to
throw money and loans at those that will never be able to pay it back. Overspend, overregulate and overtax - that's not the way to grow the economy, but the liberals don't seem to be able to comprehend that.

I'd rather see my money be funnelled up - to those that have created jobs, businesses, products - than to see it used as a handout to the segment of society that will never produce anything except an open hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies