Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2011, 10:58 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,850,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
The only that what you're saying works is as if those policies and attitudes didn't carry into the modern era. They did though.
According to who? The people who have a victim mentality of course, that's who.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:02 AM

499 posts, read 405,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
According to people who experience racism. If someone is racist towards you and you note their racism, how is that "having a victim mentality"?

Old 06-16-2011, 11:10 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Dude. The **** we see these days? That is not fighting for a meager helping. You are very clueless if you think that's what it's about. It is absolute senseless violence about 80% of the time. Don't give me that BS.

Good example: I know a guy who got shot in the face for $200 worth of weed. He lived. His friend was not so lucky. I can promise you that pulled off successfully, that $200 worth of weed would be smoked, sold, and used to buy a pair of shoes or some dumb **** like that.

I'll have to disagree with you on that, but okay. We don't see overt racism against blacks these days for the most part. The Irish 100 years ago did not have welfare, food stamps, affirmative action, section 8, minority grants, minority scholarships, I could go on for days.

I don't know why it exists. Hell, maybe it is absolute 100% white racism, even if so it still doesn't justify the **** we see today.

Stereotypes. Arising from massive waves of violence in the black community.

Right. But the poor whites were left alone right? They couldn't get away with ripping off the poor whites?

No, I understand very well. I understand you're mixed or whatever and I'm white, but your view of things is not realistic at all, in my personal opinion. I have seen this **** with my own eyes for my entire life.
Right because the average Black family makes 50k like the average White family (no they actually make closer to 31K, 19,000 a year difference). Right because Blacks with a bachelors make the same as their white counterparts (haha...they make as much as Whites with a high school diploma) Right it's not as if Whites account for nearly 90% of the people in the highest tax bracket.

You are using anecdote as your evidence? Really? That's it? That's all you got? You dumb stoner buddy?

Well there is a correlation between poverty and drug dealing. You don't really see a lot of drug violence in Yorba Linda, CA...but you do in Compton. I would bet that the drug use is roughly the same. In fact at my university a study showed that Whiter and richer you were at UCSB, the more likely you were coked out.

You have to disagree that Black SLAVES had it worse than the Irish? That's dumb. The Irish in the US had a lot less racism overall. Sorry, but they were never slaves to the extent that Blacks were. They could live wherever they wanted to in the 1950s even. You are making a fallacious comparison. You have to compare the SAME time periods. I can make the opposite comparison then and say that (insert group) has it made since they weren't slaves like the Blacks in the 1800s. You generally stay in historical context.

Poor Whites were given more benefits than poor Blacks. Actually are still given more benefits than poor Blacks.

It has nothing with me being mixed. My family on my grandfather's side has been here for a LONG time. We've been middle class for pretty much as far back as we can remember (my last name was given to those that were not serfs and owned a meager amount of land during the middle ages...thus the medieval equivalent of the middle class). I'm not African American, I'm Ivorian American. It has more to do with the fact that I actually studied this and took the time to understand as opposed to using my friends stupidity as a point of trivializing disparities .

Old 06-16-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Yes because it's okay to make less than Whites (with all things being equal). It's all a question of looking at like being a victim or not.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:21 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,561 times
Quote:
Right because the average Black family makes 50k like the average White family (no they actually make closer to 31K, 19,000 a year difference). Right because Blacks with a bachelors make the same as their white counterparts (haha...they make as much as Whites with a high school diploma) Right it's not as if Whites account for nearly 90% of the people in the highest tax bracket.
You keep repeating this. I've already acknowledged this. I fail to see how this justifies the senseless violence that goes on all around the country every day.

Quote:
You are using anecdote as your evidence? Really? That's it? That's all you got? You dumb stoner buddy?
Jesus dude. Listen to me. It's a shining example of the kind of **** that goes on every day in the black community. You want more? I got more stories. And not one single one of them was somebody trying to get a "meager helping". It was ALL senseless violence.

I would appreciate if you backed off though, see now you're insulting both a scarred guy and a dead guy. They were black and poor if that helps.

Quote:
Well there is a correlation between poverty and drug dealing. You don't really see a lot of drug violence in Yorba Linda, CA...but you do in Compton. I would bet that the drug use is roughly the same. In fact at my university a study showed that Whiter and richer you were at UCSB, the more likely you were coked out.
I don't doubt that, white kids love their drugs. I don't blame this on society. I blame it on them for being idiots.

Quote:
You have to disagree that Black SLAVES had it worse than the Irish? That's dumb. The Irish in the US had a lot less racism overall. Sorry, but they were never slaves to the extent that Blacks were. They could live wherever they wanted to in the 1950s even. You are making a fallacious comparison. You have to compare the SAME time periods. I can make the opposite comparison then and say that (insert group) has it made since they weren't slaves like the Blacks in the 1800s. You generally stay in historical context.
Way to twist it man. I was NOT comparing the Irish to black slaves. I was comparing the Irish back then to blacks now in 2011.

Quote:
Poor Whites were given more benefits than poor Blacks. Actually are still given more benefits than poor Blacks.
Right.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollymixture View Post
According to people who experience racism. If someone is racist towards you and you note their racism, how is that "having a victim mentality"?
When a person of any color experiences racist today it doesn't automatically have anything to do with slavery. If you live your life looking for racism that you can then relate to and blame on slavery which you never experienced then you live with a victim mentality.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
You keep repeating this. I've already acknowledged this. I fail to see how this justifies the senseless violence that goes on all around the country every day.

Jesus dude. Listen to me. It's a shining example of the kind of **** that goes on every day in the black community. You want more? I got more stories. And not one single one of them was somebody trying to get a "meager helping". It was ALL senseless violence.

I would appreciate if you backed off though, see now you're insulting both a scarred guy and a dead guy. They were black and poor if that helps.

I don't doubt that, white kids love their drugs. I don't blame this on society. I blame it on them for being idiots.

Way to twist it man. I was NOT comparing the Irish to black slaves. I was comparing the Irish back then to blacks now in 2011.

Right.
You haven't. All you said was "I don't know, but it's not because of previous precedents". That's it. That's not acknowledging it. It's simply wanting to move on.

It's like me saying my drunk friend who crashed her Mercedes is a shining example of the rich. You aren't looking at the global picture. Again if you acknowledged the unemployment rates in these communities you wouldn't put what you posted up. It was stupid to post that as a means of illustrating your point, regardless the race and economic status.

People don't live in vacuums. We are social beings. We make decisions because of others. The drug use of Whites is not the point, the point is that Blacks are far more likely to be prosecuted and receive a harsher sentence.

If you feel like I twisted it...it's because I'm illustrating what YOU'RE doing. YOU'RE comparing Irish people from a particular point in history to Blacks from today.

One example of a benefit is that poor White communities have more nutritional foods and teachers actually stay longer than in poor Black communities.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Yes because it's okay to make less than Whites (with all things being equal). It's all a question of looking at like being a victim or not.
So some blacks make less than the overall average white population, does that then explain and justify the larger than average crime rate among blacks?

Old 06-16-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
When a person of any color experiences racist today it doesn't automatically have anything to do with slavery. If you live your life looking for racism that you can then relate to and blame on slavery which you never experienced then you live with a victim mentality.
No, it could be because of Jim Crow or modern racism today. People aren't looking for racism. Sometimes it finds you.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
One example of a benefit is that poor White communities have more nutritional foods and teachers actually stay longer than in poor Black communities.
So what does that say about you? A black man who left his country and his people to teach in Korea? If black people won't help each other why should anyone else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies