Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 09:54 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,535,738 times

Advertisements

I saw a photo of this map recently (I did not take it, an acquaintance of mine did) that showed the number of states that currently allow gay marriage versus the number of states that currently allow first cousin marriage.

I will provide this photo in this post.

A couple of things that interested me:

1. Some states that you'd think would allow first cousin marriage do not.

2. Some states that you'd think would not allow it, do allow it (I always knew about NY).

3. AAAAAAND of course it's kind of sad how many states allow first cousin marriage but not gays. Just sayin'...

I WANT TO KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS!!! Discuss.
Attached Thumbnails
States that allow gay marriage VS. Cousin marriage-1308235948.chrissawyer_opng.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 10:04 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,192,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I saw a photo of this map recently (I did not take it, an acquaintance of mine did) that showed the number of states that currently allow gay marriage versus the number of states that currently allow first cousin marriage.

I will provide this photo in this post.

A couple of things that interested me:

1. Some states that you'd think would allow first cousin marriage do not.

2. Some states that you'd think would not allow it, do allow it (I always knew about NY).

3. AAAAAAND of course it's kind of sad how many states allow first cousin marriage but not gays. Just sayin'...

I WANT TO KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS!!! Discuss.
I think the issue is that incest seems so rare or foreign to people; the whole issue is ignored. Gay marriage is a hot topic; while cousin marriage isn't.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I think the issue is that incest seems so rare or foreign to people; the whole issue is ignored. Gay marriage is a hot topic; while cousin marriage isn't.
And yet more incest goes on in this country than most people realize.

I think it all comes down to what's cool to hate because of some ancient mistranslated book.

Not saying there is no God (in fact, I believe there is). Just saying that the bible cannot be accurate at this point. After all, it was written by the hand of man. According to it, everything we do is flawed.

Disclaimer over.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:26 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,867,805 times
My thoughts?

I was shocked that West Virginia and Kentucky don't allow cousin marriage.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
My thoughts?

I was shocked that West Virginia and Kentucky don't allow cousin marriage.
I was surprised about Kentucky as well. And equally shocked that New Jersey DOES allow it.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:33 AM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times
What an appalling thread. Let's bait some Southerners yet again.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:38 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,971,439 times
Most of the states that bear the brunt of the cousin-marrying jokes (West Virginia, Arkansas, Kentucky) don't actually allow cousin marriage.

The vast majority of cousin marriages today come from new immigrants who follow the traditional practice of first cousin marriages back from their home countries.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:06 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,651,651 times
Default boredatwork

Back in the day interfamily mating was necessary as part of human evolution and survival but that was 2000 years ago.....its 2011 there's enough ppl now....2.everything we do is flawed but its not held against us....the bible isn't written by god himself

Old 06-16-2011, 11:33 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,985,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
The vast majority of cousin marriages today come from new immigrants who follow the traditional practice of first cousin marriages back from their home countries.
Good point. Cousin marriage for instance is still acceptable in Indian society and it isn't seen as being icky like it is in American or Anglo culture.

Personally I think it is icky (cousin marriage) and just a sign of how ignorant/backwards the view of society at large has on the matter allowing two gay people to get married.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Good point. Cousin marriage for instance is still acceptable in Indian society and it isn't seen as being icky like it is in American or Anglo culture.

Personally I think it is icky (cousin marriage) and just a sign of how ignorant/backwards the view of society at large has on the matter allowing two gay people to get married.
I personally have nothing against incest in general (consensual). But the fact that we as Americans feel it is taboo, and despite that, many states allow first cousin marriages, yet we do not allow gay marriages, does not sit well with me.

It shows that by and large, our priorities are mixed and tangled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies