Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 04:50 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,327,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
A lawyer will have a field day with this one. I'd sue their sorry arse when I was done caring for my wife.

It's attitudes like this why our country is going down the toilet. A lack of empathy or simple human compassion.
This employer is NOT responsible for his problems.

People hire others to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 04:51 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,327,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Makes self employment that much more enjoyable to me.

I get up when I want.
Schedule jobs when I want to.
I charge what I feel my talent and time are worth and always make it worth my time and talent.
I can take a day off when I wish and take a month or 2 vacation if I want.

Yep, self employment is so much better, than someone else dictating my worth in this world.
100% agree!!!!

Old 06-16-2011, 04:54 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,435,269 times
Business is business as some have said, and it is not a game for the weak of heart. I feel bad for both, but is this the reality of what is happening across America. There is still compassion, and i think his fellow employers if they chose to do so, could do something for their fellow employer, who is in dire trouble. Compassion i still believe in it, just wish in times as this, we can bend the rules. I feel very bad for this gentlemen. I have known under this administration 14 familes who have lost jobs and a home, not only in my State, but in the E. C. a lot, and in the South. Thank goodness none of them had to experince what this gentlemen has had to deal with. Times if you look at it, really are tough!

Old 06-16-2011, 05:07 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,729,600 times
Unless my business were on the verge of collapse I would continue to pay that guy even if he hardly showed up at work anymore at all. I couldn't look at myself in the mirror if I stabbed that family in the back like that.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:11 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,584,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
I'm sure you'd say that if it was your wife dying, right?
yeah its not in their backyard yet...

Plenty of EEOC rules and attys work pro bono to protect the mans rights here. Its discrimination...

Top Lawyers: Employee Discrimination Lawyers - News & Features (washingtonian.com)

Frequently Asked Questions - Law Office of Susan B. Mindenbergs

DM me if you need a pro bono one against nursing home abuse

Old 06-16-2011, 05:12 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Unless my business were on the verge of collapse I would continue to pay that guy even if he hardly showed up at work anymore at all. I couldn't look at myself in the mirror if I stabbed that family in the back like that.

That is why you don't have a successful business.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:13 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,426,103 times
I am very lucky I work where I do- I was diagnosed a grand total of 4 months into my career with cancer (what contracting could I possibly do?) with those 4 months of savings from an underpaid job. My coworkers and supervisors bend over backwards to help me. On the other hand, my mother's company wouldn't give her a few days off to travel across the country to be with her 23 year old daughter who could very well die before she sees 25. I've had to face cancer 100% on my own and have had to be my own caretaker. Still have 4 more long months of chemo left.

On the other hand, I am involved in the Young Adult Cancer community and have heard of dozens losing their jobs when they were diagnosed. We're talking about 22, 23, 24 year olds. Our parents aren't given time off to be with us. We aren't protected by FMLA because we haven't been working long enough or we're contracting, part time, etc etc. Many of us don't have insurance.

What this man's company did to him is despicable.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:21 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,729,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
That is why you don't have a successful business.
I prefer to be the humble one-man business I am to being a businessman like that

Old 06-16-2011, 05:40 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,637,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Hopefully sooner than later, tragedy strikes those w. no compassion for the employee here.
It will... illness, longterm unemployment and other calamities hit everyone at some point. Once these selfish conservatives are mugged by reality they will be the first people screaming for their "fair share" from the government... grabbing it with both fists as their "right" for paying into the system, unlike all of the other supposedly undeserving slobs they had to carry all of these years.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:44 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,584,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
It will... illness, longterm unemployment and other calamities hit everyone at some point. Once these selfish conservatives are mugged by reality they will be the first people screaming for their "fair share" from the government... grabbing it with both fists as their "right" for paying into the system, unlike all of the other supposedly undeserving slobs they had to carry all of these years.
hopefully they will get some karma...like a child with terminal illness. No wonder SAW VI was popular with generation Y, lol. My students told me the main victim was a health insurance CEO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies