Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 05:45 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Then you have to pay him shift pay.

Like my company, I can't say "Oh no, I won't take the overtime or shift pay", its against the companies policy to do that.

Like I said, I feel for the guy, but I'm not going to bash the employer for making a business decision. If you don't like what they've done, don't purchase any of their product.
Could you elaborate on that? Why can't they just pay him the equivalent amount per hour that he earns in his salary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 05:51 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
If the state law is "right to work" they can fire you for a wrong hairstyle. Florida, S.C., many southern states ascribe to this.

However, the law changes when an employer is using personal medical information to actively discriminate against the employee, under Federal and state law.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:04 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Could you elaborate on that? Why can't they just pay him the equivalent amount per hour that he earns in his salary?
Many companies have policies that won't allow them to change.

For instance, my companies policy. I can't work 9 hours and get paid for 8, I have to get paid for 9 or its against company policy. I can't work 2 hours at midnight and 6 hours during the day and not draw the mandated shift differential. I can't tell my boss that I will work over today, and just take off early tomorrow, nor can he ask me to do that.

Thats because it opens them up for lawsuits. Even though the employee agreed to it, it could be said that the employee felt pressured to do that or they thought they'd lose their job.

Then there is court, and settlements, etc.

Like I said, if it were my company, I'd let the guy off. But its not my company, and I can't say whats best for someone elses company. If you don't like what they did, then don't purchase anything they are connected to.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:06 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
The company policy can still be sued in state or federal court. They are not immune.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:31 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I am very lucky I work where I do- I was diagnosed a grand total of 4 months into my career with cancer (what contracting could I possibly do?) with those 4 months of savings from an underpaid job. My coworkers and supervisors bend over backwards to help me. On the other hand, my mother's company wouldn't give her a few days off to travel across the country to be with her 23 year old daughter who could very well die before she sees 25. I've had to face cancer 100% on my own and have had to be my own caretaker. Still have 4 more long months of chemo left.

On the other hand, I am involved in the Young Adult Cancer community and have heard of dozens losing their jobs when they were diagnosed. We're talking about 22, 23, 24 year olds. Our parents aren't given time off to be with us. We aren't protected by FMLA because we haven't been working long enough or we're contracting, part time, etc etc. Many of us don't have insurance.

What this man's company did to him is despicable.
Will you be sending him some money to help???

Old 06-16-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Unless my business were on the verge of collapse I would continue to pay that guy even if he hardly showed up at work anymore at all. I couldn't look at myself in the mirror if I stabbed that family in the back like that.
What about your other employees when you lose the business due to poor management???

Old 06-16-2011, 07:02 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,492,508 times
The Company in question not that small of a business. It doesn't seem to be a Mom & Pop type organization at all. It's a Commercial Real Estate company that leases business locations in the Boston area. It has an annual sales reportedly of $2.1 million dollars with 35 employees. There is also an associated non-profit organization also valued at several million dollars. (Wonder what they do?)

I would think a company of that size could stand to pick up the slack for a few months while this man's wife is in all likihood is dying. His job was the head of accounting, surely someone or several someone's in that department could pick up any slack with him being there as much as possible. Also shouldn't the VP who fired him also be capable enough to ensure that the jobs were being done? Or wasn't she capable of this? I've worked in office settings, when someone is out, the work still gets done. That's how it gets done, people get cross trained and the work gets done. And no, they don't get more money or even necessarily much overtime if any.

I'm curious whether this company has had any prior employees who had medical issues, such as pregnancy, car accidents, appendicitis, and what became of them.

The company's website is down. Right now, they are getting a lot of publicity, bad publicity and they deserve every bit of it.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:10 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
What about your other employees when you lose the business due to poor management???
- They had just given him a raise, but then all of a sudden they said they were planning of firing him anyway
- He found a job vacancy for exactly the same job
- His wife only has a couple of months left to life. If that company couldn't afford to stay afloat that long (which is not the case), it would deserve to go under anyway.

You can twist and turn it as long as you want, it is simply disgusting behavior on the part of that company. And I find it embarrassing that some people here come up with twisted attempts to defend it. Dollar-fascism...

I just wanted to check that company out, but it seems their website is down, maybe someone hacked it or launched a DOS attack

Old 06-16-2011, 07:15 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
- They had just given him a raise, but then all of a sudden they said they were planning of firing him anyway
- His wife only has a couple of months left to life. If that company couldn't afford to stay afloat that long (which is not the case), it would deserve to go under anyway.

You can twist and turn it as long as you want, it is simply disgusting behavior on the part of that company. And I find it embarrassing that some people here come up with twisted attempts to defend it. Dollar-fascism...

I just wanted to check that company out, but it seems their website is down, maybe someone hacked it or launched a DOS attack
It is possible that the situation was costing the company more money. The company should have just said "We're firing you." and left it at that without giving any more information. Then it would have been fine.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:

Then you don't care about the other workers there???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies