Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 07:36 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times

Advertisements

Climate Progress » Blog Archive » Did Climate Change Contribute To The Minneapolis Bridge Collapse?

I really thought they were being satirical at first, and as I read on I realized they weren't.

So far, when the mainstream media is brought into this, it is Bush's fault first, the war in Iraq second, and global warming third as the causes for the bridge to fall.

Oddly, an overwhelming number of Minneapolis's record temperatures occured prior to 1960, and the bridge was built in 1967. Imagine that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 07:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Without even bothering to read the blog I can say that global warming did not have any effect on the security or the collapse of the bridge. Irresponsible lack of maintenance did have a significant effect. However, the primary cause of the bridge collapse was simply gravity acting on corroded and fatigued metal.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:56 AM

I'm not from the north, but I would think all the salting in the winter would lead to corrosion of metal portions of the structure, and therefore, milder winters would lower the amount of salting needed. But again, I'm not from the north so I haven't heard much regarding bridges up there until this collapse happened.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:29 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
It's entirely possible that over the years that EVERY summer, not just this one, cause extreme expansion. This would gradually stress the metal more and more until it simply could not take an additional stress. Metal becomes "tired" from repeated expansions and contractions from extremes in temperature. This wasn't a new bridge and there seems to have been a minimum amount of upkeep done.

I doubt that they will find an explanation that will suit everyone.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:34 AM

592 posts, read 2,810,000 times
Sadly, as our politicians continue raising taxes under the guise of road improvements, more and more of our tax money (in this state) is headed towards mass transit for metropolitan areas instead of road and bridge improvements and maintenance issues. It would appear if GWB isn't to blame for any particular event, someone will make a case for global warming, will go full circle and will end up blaming GWB for global warming anyway. Until and unless a definite cause is ever determined, I have no desire to blame anyone or anything for the tragedy that will affect many families and travelers for years to come..global warming causes bridge failure?? Come on now

Old 08-07-2007, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaneyland View Post
Sadly, as our politicians continue raising taxes under the guise of road improvements, more and more of our tax money (in this state) is headed towards mass transit for metropolitan areas instead of road and bridge improvements and maintenance issues. It would appear if GWB isn't to blame for any particular event, someone will make a case for global warming, will go full circle and will end up blaming GWB for global warming anyway. Until and unless a definite cause is ever determined, I have no desire to blame anyone or anything for the tragedy that will affect many families and travelers for years to come..global warming causes bridge failure?? Come on now
There are a long list of politicians to blame for the current state of our infrastructure. Personally, I would start at about Carter, and then run the list right through the Reagan, Bush1, and Clinton years too. And Bush2 has not done anything about it either. We are a good 30 years behind on this issue and we are likely going to be bit in the a$$ again by the problem.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:50 AM

202 posts, read 271,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
I'm not from the north, but I would think all the salting in the winter would lead to corrosion of metal portions of the structure, and therefore, milder winters would lower the amount of salting needed. But again, I'm not from the north so I haven't heard much regarding bridges up there until this collapse happened.
I was surprised when I moved to Minnesota from Illinois that they used sand on icy roads rather than salt...I'd grown up with salting. But Minnesota, at least where I was, slightly southwest of the Twin Cities, did not use salt, period. This may not be the case anymore, however.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:04 AM

Yeah, I lived in Dallas for 6 years and they used sand instead of salt. So thats why I wasn't sure about what they used on that bridge.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:04 AM

592 posts, read 2,810,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbler View Post
I was surprised when I moved to Minnesota from Illinois that they used sand on icy roads rather than salt...I'd grown up with salting. But Minnesota, at least where I was, slightly southwest of the Twin Cities, did not use salt, period. This may not be the case anymore, however.
They use a salt / sand mix, as well as mixtures of urea, salt, and sand. Salt does no good below -15f, I've never seen plain old sand used except when it is below the temp that salt doesn't work...that is why cars tend to turn to rust buckets here in a matter of a few years.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:34 PM

122 posts, read 385,261 times
Why does this terrible tragedy have to be someones fault?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies