Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2011, 08:53 PM

15,089 posts, read 8,631,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Oh, I agree with you! (WOW! We agree on something! It was bound to happen some day.)
They call that making progress

I knew you had it in you all along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 08:56 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
This man failed to learn the English language after how many years? How ridiculous that this man was chosen to testify. Learn English, assimilate, or go home. Duh!
I saw the video, the guy speaks English, although Spanish is his first language and he stated that he feels more comfortable speaking Spanish.

I didn't realize speaking Spanish was a criminal activity in the US.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:07 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,098,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
People should be free to speak whatever language they want, including sign or pigeon English, whatever. If they need an interpreter to communicate, then they should provide one. Someone who objects to the other person wanting to communicate, has a problem that has nothing to do with language.
Try living in Mexico for 22 years, go to a public forum and speak English in a room full of Mexican locals. See how that goes.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:21 PM

275 posts, read 836,446 times
jeez, the guy CAN speak english. he actually did in the video. it is understandable that a person who lives in the country for 20 years could speak english but not feel that his level of eloquence and preciseness in english is good enough to TESTIFY in front of senators. this guy is not going to meet you on the street and speak to you in spanish.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Try living in Mexico for 22 years, go to a public forum and speak English in a room full of Mexican locals. See how that goes.
Have you ever been to Mexico? If not, how would you know? English is spoken in many places in Mexico.

There are even small towns in Mexico that have plenty of business that operate in English.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Did they say the interpreter was hard to understand? If not, no issue here, case closed. Well, not as far as the guy testifying is concerned, now the Senator on the other hand, has some things to work out.
Why do you feel that I shouldn't speak English in America after living here for 22 years. Am I too stupid to learn it? What exactly is your reason against us learning the language of the land?

Ironically as the poster above you said, we are more adamant about speaking the language than native born American liberals. That's prety odd to me.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Have you ever been to Mexico? If not, how would you know? English is spoken in many places in Mexico.

There are even small towns in Mexico that have plenty of business that operate in English.
5 times. Ironically many mexicans there can speak passable English. So if Mexicans who have never been to the states can learn the language, then why can't one who has been here for 25 years?

Old 06-17-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
5 times. Ironically many mexicans there can speak passable English. So if Mexicans who have never been to the states can learn the language, then why can't one who has been here for 25 years?
The guy in the video responded in English stating that he does speak English. If you have been to Mexico 5 times and claim that Mexicans respond unkindly if you speak English, you are either lying or they just didn't like you. My experience and observations have been the complete opposite.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:37 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,967 times
Quote:
If English was good enough for Jesus Christ, it is good enough for me!
It's believed Christ spoke Aramaic.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:44 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,505,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
whats your point? our major laws, declaration of intependence and constitution are in english. why cant others at least make an effort to learn it?

i say we adopt mexicos immigration laws since people seem to love that place so much!

/your grandma sounds lazy.
Here we go, what does your post have to do with san antonio? I know we are all entitled to an opinion but you sound like a shallow, angry person, has life really treated you that bad to be a complete and total d bag towards a 91 year old woman?, that you have never met, but you feel like you got to pass judgement on her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendsley View Post
If your grandma has been living in the usa for 91 years then am i to assume that she never went to an american school and learned english (which is against the law) or that she immigrated to the usa after the age of 17 which would make her 108 years old? Dishonesty? I smell BS!
Maybe if you cleaned up your point of view it wouldnt smell that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies