Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 09:17 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,008,695 times

Advertisements

We pay for them when we encourage "multiculturalism" and use of their native language since it's harder for them to get decent paying jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 09:30 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,897,466 times
Maybe American citizens should learn how to speak proper English first...just sayin'

Old 06-17-2011, 09:39 AM

15,086 posts, read 8,631,560 times
We may not get everything right ... but in the greater scheme of things, Texas tends to inject a larger dose of common sense more frequently than a lot of other states.

My spouse lived in Sicily while in the Navy, and she lived off base in the general community. Of course, when she arrived, she didn't speak a word of Italian .... and the locals were very accommodating for a reasonable length of time ... such as allowing her to point to items she wanted to buy in the market. And this particular market that she always shopped at ... this Italian lady finally crossed her arms, and would no longer allow her to just point to items (this happened within the first few weeks), but made her call the items by name, in Italian ... or she didn't get the items! The lady wasn't being mean about it ... but was making a point, and educated her in the native language which ultimately was like receiving free language tutoring. And it wasn't long after that that my spouse could go anywhere and converse on a very basic level ... be it a shop, restaurant or what have you. After two years there she spoke decent Italian ... not fluent, but passable, and the locals treated her like a member of their family.

The moral to he story is that it is arrogant and unacceptable to live in a community and refuse to adapt, expecting everyone else to accommodate you, while you do nothing to acclimate to them.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:44 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Good for him, hopefully he stands firm on his comments.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:46 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
I don't see where it says that he can't speak English, just that he chose to express himself in Spanish for this occasion. Maybe he knew that people express themselves best and most accurately in their native tongue, and a professional interpreter can translate that into another language more easily and accurately.

It's a common phenomenon that first-generation immigrants have more trouble learning a new language (no matter what it is). Of course, there are exceptions; there are linguistically talented individuals in every culture. I personally know a man who is fluent in SEVEN languages. He is originally from Iran, and his family left before Khomeini took over (he was fifteen at the time) and emigrated to Canada. On th e other hand, my husband's grandmothers, who immigrated to the US from Poland in the 1910's and died in the 1970's, never learned enough English to really get along. It was very broken, very heavily accented, and so they went out with people who could translate Polish to English and vice versa.

So I think this senator's outrage is just a put-on, a show for his constituents who hate the immigrant population. While I don't think people should be here illegally, I don't think we need a political circus to deal with the problem.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:47 AM

2,962 posts, read 3,530,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Good for this Senator.

The man has been in the US for 23 years and he can't speak English?

Outrageous.

That is ONE of the problems with the Hispanic immigrant community - they are more likely to NOT acclimate to the traditions, customs and language of this country.
This is a stereotype that isn't true. While many Hispanics advocate for illegal immigrants, there are many others that are against them.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:00 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,769,934 times
I'm learning Spanish and will be teaching my son the language when he starts to talk.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:13 AM

15,086 posts, read 8,631,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
This is a stereotype that isn't true. While many Hispanics advocate for illegal immigrants, there are many others that are against them.

No, you're wrong. The idea that all birds can fly is untrue ... as some cannot. But to say that most birds can is an accurate statement. Is it a stereotype? Of course it is ... "fly like a bird". Is it true, of course it is.

It's funny how the word "stereotype" has been relegated to the status of being automatically false, negative, and untrue. The reality is, stereotypes are very legitimate in many of it's common usages. Then there are some that aren't.

Here in central Texas, the Latino community speaks Spanish amongst themselves more than they speak English. I see this in the grocery store every time I'm there ... I often feel as if I'm in a foreign country with the chatter all around me. In fact, it's the EXCEPTION to hear English spoken. That's a fact.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:18 AM

589 posts, read 376,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
English is OUR language, forever.But what's the problem with Spanish ? It's a cool language, me gusta esta idioma

Old 06-17-2011, 10:24 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,145,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I don't see where it says that he can't speak English, just that he chose to express himself in Spanish for this occasion. Maybe he knew that people express themselves best and most accurately in their native tongue, and a professional interpreter can translate that into another language more easily and accurately.

It's a common phenomenon that first-generation immigrants have more trouble learning a new language (no matter what it is). Of course, there are exceptions; there are linguistically talented individuals in every culture. I personally know a man who is fluent in SEVEN languages. He is originally from Iran, and his family left before Khomeini took over (he was fifteen at the time) and emigrated to Canada. On th e other hand, my husband's grandmothers, who immigrated to the US from Poland in the 1910's and died in the 1970's, never learned enough English to really get along. It was very broken, very heavily accented, and so they went out with people who could translate Polish to English and vice versa.

So I think this senator's outrage is just a put-on, a show for his constituents who hate the immigrant population. While I don't think people should be here illegally, I don't think we need a political circus to deal with the problem.
Then he shouldn't be the spokesperson for a organization thats based in the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies