Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 01:39 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

The man has been in the US for 23 years and he can't speak English?
Neither can Americans. (Sorry folks...couldn't resist )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I'm learning Spanish and will be teaching my son the language when he starts to talk.
Muy bien!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I will be teaching my kids english, you know the language of international business, science, medicine, politics. And if they wanted to learn a foreign language it would be mandarin chinese. I read somewhere once that if a German guy wanted to talk to a Italian guy in europe they spoke english.
I trust you will teach them that 'english'(sic) has a capital 'E' as does 'Europe'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 01:46 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
It's "place" is at the border while dumping the illegals off on the Mexican side.
If you say so.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:48 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
No, you're wrong. The idea that all birds can fly is untrue ... as some cannot. But to say that most birds can is an accurate statement. Is it a stereotype? Of course it is ... "fly like a bird". Is it true, of course it is.

It's funny how the word "stereotype" has been relegated to the status of being automatically false, negative, and untrue. The reality is, stereotypes are very legitimate in many of it's common usages. Then there are some that aren't.

Here in central Texas, the Latino community speaks Spanish amongst themselves more than they speak English. I see this in the grocery store every time I'm there ... I often feel as if I'm in a foreign country with the chatter all around me. In fact, it's the EXCEPTION to hear English spoken. That's a fact.
Why is that an issue as long as they speak English to you?

Old 06-17-2011, 01:55 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post

Muy bien!

I trust you will teach them that 'english'(sic) has a capital 'E' as does 'Europe'.
Thank you Mr. English teacher. I thought I got rid of you back in High School!

Old 06-17-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Thank you Mr. English teacher. I thought I got rid of you back in High School!
Nah mate! I'll be right beside you for the rest of your life.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:06 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post

Muy bien!

When do Americans address the court using interpreters?

Old 06-17-2011, 02:11 PM

15,061 posts, read 8,622,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why is that an issue as long as they speak English to you?
They don't. That's the point. Not in the grocery store, nor even in the DPS as they take their drivers exams in Spanish. Next, we'll have to make every traffic sign in Spanish.

But more dubiously, you might be astounded by the talk that transpires around you by those who don't think you speak their language! Some of it quite insulting and despicable ... and such things are encouraged by this type of division and separateness. You'd be surprised by some of the things said openly on Spanish radio ... literally discussing the takeover from the gringos. And the signs in Spanish areas that say derogatory things about Anglos, as the poor stupid Anglos patronize the very stores that have signs that insult them. Now that's a nice recipe for building a cohesive community, isn't it?

I don't expect you to agree ... we don't seen to agree on much.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:12 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Good for this Senator.

The man has been in the US for 23 years and he can't speak English?

Outrageous.

That is ONE of the problems with the Hispanic immigrant community - they are more likely to NOT acclimate to the traditions, customs and language of this country.
You're not from around here (S. Florida) are you?? We've got more than a few Cuban residents who have been here since the early 60s and still speak only Spanish.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:22 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,095,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
You're not from around here (S. Florida) are you?? We've got more than a few Cuban residents who have been here since the early 60s and still speak only Spanish.
Husband was given dirty looks for speaking English in Munchies, a hole in the wall Cuban take out in South Beach. He also knows of a black American girl who was denied rent there because she did not speak Spanish.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
When do Americans address the court using interpreters?
No idea!! Perhaps he felt that whatever he was in court for was so important that he didn't want to risk his level of English and thought it better to use an interpreter. I have lived in Spain for 8 years and my Spanish is reasonably good but if I ever have to deal with very important matters then I use an interpreter, just to be sure that both sides fully understand, in their own language, what is being said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies