Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 07:43 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,148,176 times

Advertisements

KHOU: Texas senator calls Spanish ‘insulting’ during hearing | Newswatch | a Chron.com blog

I agree with the senator 1000%!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 07:58 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Good for this Senator.

The man has been in the US for 23 years and he can't speak English?

Outrageous.

That is ONE of the problems with the Hispanic immigrant community - they are more likely to NOT acclimate to the traditions, customs and language of this country.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:09 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Good for this Senator.

The man has been in the US for 23 years and he can't speak English?

Outrageous.

That is ONE of the problems with the Hispanic immigrant community - they are more likely to NOT acclimate to the traditions, customs and language of this country.
Didn't you know? All others are supposed to change to accommodate them. They never have to change. And this view is apparently supported by 0bama and his henchmen.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:11 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Didn't you know? All others are supposed to change to accommodate them. They never have to change. And this view is apparently supported by 0bama and his henchmen.

That's definitely what I have experienced after working with them for over a decade.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:12 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
That's definitely what I have experienced after working with them for over a decade.
Who is "them?"

To me Spanish has it's place...and polite people know when and where that is.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:15 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
I don't like it when people speak nonsense either. But look above, they have a right.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:30 AM

589 posts, read 756,954 times
Only the dumb ones dont learn English after 20 years. I hate to generalize but I have seen it time and time again, the immigrants who learn English fast are motivated to succeed in a new country and want to do their best to earn money and live a good life. The dumb ones are content with picking tomatoes for 1$ a hour, collecting free medical and never learning English. They also tend to complain and blame their failure on society at large.

One of the most successful people I know is a Armenian who you would never know didn't speak English as a first language. He has almost no accent and is a large business owner. Yet his neighbors who are also Armenian are of the dumb variety who have lived in the US for 15 years and are angry "no speakas" still. They blame discrimination for their failure...which is a huge Lol when you realize their neighbors who made a effort to become familiar with the US are so much better off. Massive contrast right there, its not hard to see why the latter has a hard time doing well in a mostly English speaking country.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:32 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
Only the dumb ones dont learn English after 20 years. I hate to generalize but I have seen it time and time again, the immigrants who learn English fast are motivated to succeed in a new country and want to do their best to earn money and live a good life. The dumb ones are content with picking tomatoes for 1$ a hour, collecting free medical and never learning English. They also tend to complain and blame their failure on society at large.

One of the most successful people I know is a Armenian who you would never know didn't speak English as a first language. He has almost no accent and is a large business owner. Yet his neighbors who are also Armenian are of the dumb variety who have lived in the US for 15 years and are angry "no speakas" still. Massive contrast there, and its not hard to see why the latter has a hard time doing well in a mostly English speaking country [answer- dont be dumb and learn the language after a decade atleast].
Yep, some of my best friends speak English.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:38 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
After two recent weeks in France/Germany/Switzerland, I came away speaking a little of each language. After 23 years, this guy should be 100% fluent. One can only assume that he has zero intent to learn American English. My guess is that he represents a large segment of the immigrant population. I find this to be particularly shameful.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:45 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
This is a BIG Problem. What is it with these people who dont want to learn English? Over the Seas other countries teach their kids English as a 2nd language so they can go anywhere and speak English my German friends tell me. So they are fluent in 2 languages or more they tell me when they are traveling around to other countries over there there is Always someone who speaks English!
This man is Lazy pure and simple. And he is gonna show us.......
It is to their own benefit to learn English and be in this country.
Antolin Aguirre of the Austin Immigrant Rights Coalition was testifying against the (sanctuary cities bill) through an interpreter. He’d said he had been in the U.S. since 1988.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies