Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 06:56 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Dont got no stinken college education,became a carpenters apprentice in 69 and worked 4 years under masters and am now 42 years later a master carpenter and have learned more math than most college grads,out of neccessity not to just pass a test.I earned and learned my keep as a self employed individual not by mob rule. I win

Apparently you can't understand my question. I asked you to explain what it has to do with them wanting more wages not what you did to get more wages. So you did well without the college education. you worked hard for it. A lot of people work hard and don't always get chosen to get the pay raise. These people aren't self employed so what you use for your answer to me has nothing to do with my question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
More like are you willing to pay three times as much for an item because it was union-made? Let me guess, your house is chock full of Made In China, right?

Speaking of...Nearly everything is made in China you can't buy much of anything from the USA anymore. Where do you come up with the 3 times amont? I have never ever seen anything 3 times more money to purchase something made in the USA union made when they were available.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:02 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,028,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofaname View Post
What does this really have to do with them wanting more wages when they work for Ikea? That's what the thread is about.

Your neighbor doesn't leech off your property taxes unless he/she is an elected official or in corrections, teacher. The way I see we all pay into property taxes unless we are poor, disabled, unemployed or illegal.

How about we give all the illegal immigrants those ding dong jobs that have nothing to do with raising property taxes. That way they can get instant legal status and they can keep repopulating to the point where they can't find anymore ding dong jobs and end up getting welfare, rental assistance, then you can see your taxes skyrocket and get lousy service as a bonus.
Then you see it wrong,poor disabled,unemployed and illegal must pay property taxes if they own property or loose it to the gov. this has nothing to do with criminal illegal occupiers of America either try again

Old 06-17-2011, 07:09 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofaname View Post
Speaking of...Nearly everything is made in China you can't buy much of anything from the USA anymore. Where do you come up with the 3 times amont? I have never ever seen anything 3 times more money to purchase something made in the USA union made when they were available.
You think those factory workers in China are being paid fair wages? Haha, typical hypocritical liberal. Fill your house with the cheapest Chinese crap that money can buy and then complain about wages here in the US. L.O.F.L.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:15 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
No easy answer to this one. I can easily recall the big push by our respective countries to get involved with Free Trade and the push was related to emerging markets buying train loads of our goods. Boy, how quick that worm turned!

Who would ever have thought that it would happen in less than one generation, the lure of emerging markets would turn into a massive movement to those third world countries of a major portion of our manufacturing sector, taking the jobs right along with it?

I'm frankly amazed at the number of household name goods no longer made on this continent.

Unions still have a place but it must be with a purely business related outlook now. Unions, to succeed and flourish must look at themselves as a single client provider; keep your client (employer) happy, healthy and competitive and you still have a function maintaining useful work rules and reasonable benefits packages but; use that "hit the bricks" muscle in lieu of intelligent discourse and you'll get to watch trucks load up your factory and dissappear over the horizon.

Large multi-national unions had better stop this stuff the auto industry has had to contend with where the union executive board sits and decides who will strike to set the "pattern" settlement for the others to follow. The companies, and indeed, countries will have less and less patience for that retarded practice in the future.

Ikea's motives may not be the best but at least they're investing and hopefully for the long term. Now it's up to the workers to demonstrate they will be competitive to the degree where Ikea will tolerate some wage/benefits improvements down the road.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Look, if they don't like the wages, then find a job that pays more.
Isn't that how it works ?

Old 06-17-2011, 08:29 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
$8/hr is above min wage. Call it poverty wage if you want. No one is forcing them to work there.
If they have education and skills they can easily find other employment. If they don't, well that is the life they have laid out for them.

But I'm sure the libs want them to have a union with $20/hour wages along with benefits and not see the price of any IKEA product go up one penny.
Because..THEY ARE ENTITLED you know.
Yes if there is one thing that will destroy the economy it is driving down wages to Third World levels and that seems to be the plan.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:20 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
A majority of the 335 workers at IKEA's Swedwood factory here have signed cards designating the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers as their representative.
Furniture and aerospace. Yeah, I can see how those go together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Workers at Swedwood plants in Sweden produce the same bookcases and tables turned out here, but at a starting salary of $19 an hour.
Maybe they should move to Sweden.

When are you going to learn how to understand numbers?

I notice Americans have serious problems grasping numbers. They just throw them out there like they actually mean something. Is it genetic? Fluoridated water? Electromagnetic radiation from cell-phones and iPods?

Let's see just how accurate are "tossing out of the numbers" really is.

So, US IKEA workers make $8/hour and Swedish IKEA workers make $19/hour.

The question is, do Swedish IKEA workers really make $19/hour?

Quote:
In 2010, individual income tax rates in Sweden change between 54% and 61%, 57.77% being the average tax rate.
Okay, so 57.77% of $19 is $10.97 in taxes and that works out to $8.02/hour.

So a Swedish IKEA worker gets $19/hour on paper but only takes home $8/hour.

Let's not forget the Swedish VAT: 25% compared to average sales taxes of 5% to 7.5% in the US.

Looks like the US worker has the better deal.

I can't help but note that $19/hour doesn't keep Sweden from having the highest suicide rate of any country in the world either.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Then you see it wrong,poor disabled,unemployed and illegal must pay property taxes if they own property or loose it to the gov. this has nothing to do with criminal illegal occupiers of America either try again
Ah I see you just don't give a **** about anybody but yourself. You think the poor, disabled and unemployed like being that way. Are you one of those things that think people who don't live up to what you think should be your standards should all be killed? or just left to stay the way they are. You just got lucky at the time you went to School and once again you got it wrong your answer has nothing to do with low paid workers joining a union.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Look, if they don't like the wages, then find a job that pays more.
Isn't that how it works ?
Hard to do when discriminated against because people assume they are illegal. Do you honestly think employers treat employees fairly without any unions, laws to protect them? be serious most employers, supervisors, managers will take advantage anywhere they can if they see they can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies