Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 12:33 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
No, corporations are ruining America.
That is an insane statement. The business owners who are often incorporated for limited liability are the job makers in America.
Ruin the business owners and you will have times far worse than the great depression in America as a regular thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 05:53 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
OK, so here is the truth.

Ikea plant: Union files for election at Ikea's first U.S. factory - Los Angeles Times

"Swedwood said it welcomed a secret-ballot election for its workers at the Danville plant, which employs 340 people.
"We will respect and follow the outcome of such voting," Swedwood's spokeswoman, Ingrid Steen, told The Times."

The union is a scourge and IKEA is rightly trying to let it's employees know that. The unions have lead to more off shoring than any other cause.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:47 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
People are assuming the IKEA workers are illegal?

And yes, I do KNOW that employees are treated fairly without unions. It's the laws that protect us nowadays, not the unions.
Yes I see quite a few people assuming nearly everyone is illegal and I think people are just assuming the same about IKEA workers. I don't see that laws protect all people in every area. I know how easy it is for an employer to trump up false charges of an employee just to keep them down, especially when they see/think that employee is desperate to keep their job....any job. The people protected without Unions are always the friends, relatives of the employer. IMO Factory workers should be Unionized.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:49 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
Funny how all those non-union foreign automakers who've set up shop in the Deep South (Hyundai/BMW/Nissan and others) in recent years are doing substantially better than the Detroit 3 are, and especially Hyundai.

Unions are notorious job-killers, as the history books have shown for decades; when your cost structure makes your product non-competitive either price-wise or quality-wise in the marketplace, those jobs go overseas.

Look at Chicagoland's war against Walmart; those clueless Democrats; they want Walmart to pay their workers outlandish salaries, which would cause them to raise their prices, and which would also result in many layoffs at the existing stores.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
What makes you think IAM doesn't work hand-in-hand with management behind the scenes?

The union wants the dues.

The easiest way to stay in a shop and collect dues is to get along with the company while putting on a charade about saving worker's jobs and negotiating the best deal possible. The best deal possible means the negotiating committee gets all the perks as long as they toss everyone else under the bus. It's a win for the company, the union, the committee and the screw-ups who need a union rep to "save their job". Everyone else gets hosed.
'
'
You have a good point. I know it behooves the Union to try and work out a compromise but I have seen what you describe happen. Now First I want to make it clear that not all layed offs are chosen screw offs some are people who just got mixed in for one reason or antoher and don't deserve it. I have seen a lot of what I call screw offs who deserve being layed off but the Union protects them by allowing bumping rights. That is what gets good hard working employees layed off and allows the screw offs to keep their jobs by bumping them. It's hard on all concerned when that is allowed to happen and the Union doesn't care because most of the screw offs are either favored by the Dept. Head or cronies....though most of the time it's due to them being a cronie that leads to the Dept. head favoring them but there are other reasons too. The Unions can't do anything about layoffs so they came up with the bumping rights to protect them.

There's another problem but I'm not sure I can say it here or even should and I wouldn't be surprised to find you would never believe how even some Unions are duped and sometimes put in the position of screwing the very people who pay them.

I have said and implied many times on this board that the Unions I have a problem with and don't like are they Law Enforcement Unions and Teachers Union which so happens that they represent both. The higher the salary the better the pension and there are way too many high paying salaries but not all Union members make a lot of money and not all public paying jobs pay high salaries. It's the high paying one's I see we all need to stop. These 100K and excessive paid overtime jobs have got to stop.

Last edited by Lolipopbubbles; 06-27-2011 at 07:21 PM..

Old 06-27-2011, 07:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
The public unions have been screw their neighbors for deacdes. The unions have alos been a major contributor to the american auto company failures. They just can help but milk the cow dry.Unions care only for themselves not the genral public or the nation.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofaname View Post
'
'
You have a good point. I know it behooves the Union to try and work out a compromise but I have seen what you describe happen. Now First I want to make it clear that not all layed offs are chosen screw offs some are people who just got mixed in for one reason or antoher and don't deserve it. I have seen a lot of what I call screw offs who deserve being layed off but the Union protects them by allowing bumping rights. That is what gets good hard working employees layed off and allows the screw offs to keep their jobs by bumping them. It's hard on all concerned when that is allowed to happen and the Union doesn't care because most of the screw offs are either favored by the Dept. Head or cronies....though most of the time it's due to them being a cronie that leads to the Dept. head favoring them but there are other reasons too. The Unions can't do anything about layoffs so they came up with the bumping rights to protect them.

There's another problem but I'm not sure I can say it here or even should and I wouldn't be surprised to find you would never believe how even some Unions are duped and sometimes put in the position of screwing the very people who pay them.

I have said and implied many times on this board that the Unions I have a problem with and don't like are they Law Enforcement Unions and Teachers Union which so happens that they represent both. The higher the salary the better the pension and there are way too many high paying salaries but not all Union members make a lot of money and not all public paying jobs pay high salaries. It's the high paying one's I see we all need to stop. These 100K and excessive paid overtime jobs have got to stop.
EDIT: BTW watch and see how most if not all the overpaid cronies, favored with high paying jobs retire before anything is legally signed to make them, those who walk away with the most and higher paying jobs, all of a sudden retire. Many of them are leaving before they can be forced to add more to the system they take the most out of more than anyone else does. The lower paid employees with or without the time won't and likely can't because they aren't overpaid.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:07 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
...and making the USA a sweatshop.

IKEA: Union-busting is “how American system works”

DANVILLE, Va. - IKEA is known round the world for being a fabulous employer but its first U.S. plant is a modern sweatshop with poverty wages, forced overtime and mandatory "educational meetings" for anyone who hints any interest in joining a union.

A majority of the 335 workers at IKEA's Swedwood factory here have signed cards designating the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers as their representative.

The company has hired the union-busting law firm Jackson Lewis to help it "convince" its $8-an-hour employees that they don't want a union.

Workers at Swedwood plants in Sweden produce the same bookcases and tables turned out here, but at a starting salary of $19 an hour.

IKEA: Union-busting is ?how American system works? » peoplesworld
Don't like it, then quit.

And if you're going to compare wages between the US and Sweden, you need to include cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies