Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever had an abortion?
Yes 52 18.98%
No 89 32.48%
N/A- I'm a man & will never be pregnant. 133 48.54%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 01:26 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,563,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Maybe, if a woman decides she wants to abort, it just might be because she does not want to be a mother, knows she is not "mother material".....yet pro-lifers think they can change that. They think that after the baby is born the mother will magically see it as a gift and the angels will sing and rainbows will pop out all over and everyone will live happily ever after.

Why should the father or the family have anything to say about it? They are not the ones who undergo the burden of pregnancy and nine times out of ten, the woman is the one who ends up having to care for the little "gift".

Family has a way of cheering you on.....and then when it comes time to provide the care and pull out the wallet.......well, then it's another story altogether. "It's your child, your responsibility, YOU are it's mother."

The woman alone is the only one who should decide whether she gives birth.

Making abortions harder to get is not going to make a woman change her mind about not wanting a child.....it will just mean that instead of aborting at 8 weeks, she will have to abort at 12 weeks because she had to waste time jumping through hoops.
No, we want her to get her tubes tied, if she knows she's not "mother material" or take advantage of the many options to make sure she doesn't get pregnant. You make females sound so helpless, and men are the enemy. If you don't like men, don't sleep with them! Every man you sleep with is a potential father - that's the way nature designed it. If it's just about being sexually satisfied, another female can do that for you, or you can take care of that urge yourself. jeez, women really need to grow up!
If she doesn't take responsibility for getting herself pregnant in the first place, why do we give her all the responsibility after the fact? She obviously isn't very RESPONSIBLE! When you can get pregnant by yourself, then you can make ALL THE DECISIONS. You can't be dependent on men, then claim men have nothing to do with it. get it?
12 weeks is better than 20 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
So sad that so many on this thread (and in the world) don't trust women to make choices for themselves. It's really infantilizing - "We're going to ban abortion because YOU obviously can't be logical about it."

I voted yes. I'm a man, but I'm sure reading so many thread-abortions (such as this) here on City Data counts, right?
Women have plenty of choices, killing is frowned upon. Do you realize that if you kill a pregnant woman, you are prosecuted for killing 2 people. But if she kills, that was just a choice. Your logic escapes me.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-26-2011 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 06-26-2011, 01:48 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
No, we want her to get her tubes tied, if she knows she's not "mother material" or take advantage of the many options to make sure she doesn't get pregnant. You make females sound so helpless, and men are the enemy. If you don't like men, don't sleep with them! Every man you sleep with is a potential father - that's the way nature designed it. If it's just about being sexually satisfied, another female can do that for you, or you can take care of that urge yourself. jeez, women really need to grow up!
If she doesn't take responsibility for getting herself pregnant in the first place, why do we give her all the responsibility after the fact? She obviously isn't very RESPONSIBLE! When you can get pregnant by yourself, then you can make ALL THE DECISIONS. You can't be dependent on men, then claim men have nothing to do with it. get it?
12 weeks is better than 20 weeks.
Men can also satisfy their sexual urges with other men and by themselves.....then they won't have to worry about some woman aborting "their" fetus.

Most doctors will not sterilize a woman unless she is in her 30's and already has children. It is easier for men to get sterilized than it is for women. Why is that?

And again, as always, birth control can fail.....that does not mean you should have to carry a pregnancy that you do not want.

Forced parenthood is never a good idea. Don't we have enough abused and neglected children in this world all ready? And their parents "wanted" them.

And last but not least......when men can get pregnant.....then they can decide whether to abort or not.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Men can also satisfy their sexual urges with other men and by themselves.....then they won't have to worry about some woman aborting "their" fetus.

Most doctors will not sterilize a woman unless she is in her 30's and already has children. It is easier for men to get sterilized than it is for women. Why is that?

And again, as always, birth control can fail.....that does not mean you should have to carry a pregnancy that you do not want.

Forced parenthood is never a good idea. Don't we have enough abused and neglected children in this world all ready? And their parents "wanted" them.

And last but not least......when men can get pregnant.....then they can decide whether to abort or not.
Well then, you are fighting the wrong fight. Battle to get doctors to sterilize you, then you won't have to worry about aborting, or the inconvenience of taking a pill.
You expect men to solve the problem, yet you say they are irrelevant. Fix yourselves, men can't get pregnant. See how that works?

Old 06-26-2011, 02:13 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
Well then, you are fighting the wrong fight. Battle to get doctors to sterilize you, then you won't have to worry about aborting, or the inconvenience of taking a pill.
You expect men to solve the problem, yet you say they are irrelevant. Fix yourselves, men can't get pregnant. See how that works?
There is no problem to solve.

When it comes to carrying a pregnancy......the woman is the only one who gets a vote. Don't like it? Keep your sperm to yourself.

See how that works?

Old 06-26-2011, 05:54 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
If it's consensual sex, and she didn't take her pill or use any precaution, than she has already made her choice. She is playing with fire, and actions have consequences. We even have a morning after pill, so one has to be pretty damned irresponsible to end up pregnant if she truly wants to avoid that situation.

I am basically pro-life with exceptions. If the woman was raped, I would hope she would have the child, but that is her decision, not anybody else's.
I also try to look at it from a child's point of view. Let's face it, there are people out there that should not raise children, there are people that shouldn't be allowed to babysit for an hour. They don't have the patience, selflessness or the ability to appreciate a child as a gift. Abortion should never be an easy option, made with no input from the father, or family members.
Nothing is black and white, there will always be gray areas."""

YES, EXACTLY!that is very true which is why NO ONE should decide who can or cannot have an abortion except for the one who is pregnant!

"""I would be satisfied if taxpayer dollars were withheld,"""

Yes , so more tax dollars could go to killing babies already here due to war!!!

and late term abortions were highly discouraged.
Abortion has become way too acceptable, like going off your diet, of falling off the wagon - but there is a life at stake, and that life has rights too.

But then you change your mind and say it's OK in case of rape!!!???
THAT indicates that you think if a woman enjoys sex she should pay the price but if she doesn't then you would be decent enough to "let" her have an abortion...
Nope, you can't squirm out of this little glitch and you didn't.

You are STILL saying "punish the woman for having consensual sex by forcing her to have the baby"...

You say, """Abortion should never be an easy option, made with no input from the father, or family members."""

Why shouldn't it be easy ? To punish the woman who had ENJOYED sex???
THAT is what you're after...

I doubt it's an "easy" decision for most women....and it CERTAINLY shouldn't be YOUR decision!

And , NO, "daddy" or family should have NO say over another's body....EVER!

Old 06-26-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Yes, I would pay if the girl couldn't, society use to pay all the time. Now they want the girl to abort to save money.
You must be very wealthy if you are willing to pay for all the illigitimate births ! Are you talking just the US or world wide?

Society used to pay what all the time?

Who wants girls to abort to save money?

You seem to be one of those worried to death about a tiny fraction of your almighty dollar going to abortions....

You want to save money/no, you can financially take care of all illigitimate births/no,others want to save money by having abortions..../you don't want to save money by having abortions....
:ro lleyes:

Have you researched those dates for the invention of illigitimacy yet??? Why not?

Old 06-26-2011, 09:22 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
Quote:
If it's consensual sex, and she didn't take her pill or use any precaution, than she has already made her choice. She is playing with fire, and actions have consequences. We even have a morning after pill, so one has to be pretty damned irresponsible to end up pregnant if she truly wants to avoid that situation.

I am basically pro-life with exceptions. If the woman was raped, I would hope she would have the child, but that is her decision, not anybody else's.
I also try to look at it from a child's point of view. Let's face it, there are people out there that should not raise children, there are people that shouldn't be allowed to babysit for an hour. They don't have the patience, selflessness or the ability to appreciate a child as a gift. Abortion should never be an easy option, made with no input from the father, or family members.
Nothing is black and white, there will always be gray areas. I would be satisfied if taxpayer dollars were withheld, and late term abortions were highly discouraged.
Abortion has become way too acceptable, like going off your diet, of falling off the wagon - but there is a life at stake, and that life has rights too.
So which is it? Does life begin at conception (when the egg is fertilized) or does it start some where down the line? I don't get how Pro-Life people like yourself can say out of one side of your mouth "abortion should never be an easy option" while out of the other side of your mouth say "we even have the after morning pillso one has to be pretty damned irresponsible to end up pregnant."

Literature from the many Pro-Life websites say the morning after pill causes abortions. For example:

Quote:
[SIZE=-1]If an ovum is in the Fallopian tube, the process of fertilization may begin within 15 to 30 minutes after intercourse. The "morning after" is already too late for any contraceptive effect to intervene. Thus some researchers conclude that "post-coital drugs act principally to terminate a viable pregnancy by interfering with the endometrium: ... ‘this mode of action could explain the majority of cases where pregnancies are prevented by the morning-after pill.'" (Wilks, op. cit., p. 154, citing Grou, F. and I. Rodriges. "The morning-after pill; How long after?" Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 171:1529-34 [/SIZE]
Morning-After Pill, Pro-Life America's Experts & Celebrities on abortion, dating, sex, love and life. Free Video, Free Audio, Free Catalogs. Chastity experts. Celebs, speakers and literature to help save moms and babies from abortion. Benefits of sav

So basically if you think it's okay to use the morning after pill and/or to abort later on in cases of rape and incest then you are Pro-Choice and don't even know it or are willing to admit it publicly.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:26 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
Quote:
I remember a time when calling someone a bastard was a bad name. How times have changed!
Yup, and I remember a time before Roe vs Wade when a woman who was later getting her period could go to a doctor to "get her period expelled." So what's your point?

Old 06-26-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Several times I've asked people to image two little fetuses, one from consentual sex and one from rape/incest. Then, without knowing which was which, tell me what one it's ok to "kill". That usually shuts them up.
Or they worm and squirm and change the subject and dance around doing the Siskiyou Two-Step because they just can't answer.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies