Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 08:25 AM

1,123 posts, read 776,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
This thread is on the Syrian genocide, not Israel / It has nothing to do with Israel and so Israel ought not to be brought up at all.
Situations like this make it easy to spot the jew-haters; no matter what the topic is they always try to drag the thread onto israel.

Quote:
The silence of the Arab world is staggering as Syria massacres and sends 1000's fleeing to escape the slaughter.... You are right though if it were Israel the world would be in an uproar....
No question about it. What made this point really stand out to me was how 1 year ago, israel stopped a ship of thugs/terrorists trying to attack it - killing 9 of these animals sent by iran/Turkey, and the leftist media and muslim world flies into a rage for weeks.

Syria massacres thousands, arresting and torturing TENS of thousands - and hardly a peep.

That poster's question of credibility was hilarious; how anyone with an IQ over 3 could not become angry over what syria is doing - even more so with the dreadful way in which the world media is covering it - almost in coordination with the silent arab muslims, would be astounding.

Any poster seeking credibility here who doesn't recognize this total, obscen imbalance - will never, ever achieve any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 08:41 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,506,034 times
Actually sterpetron, your opening post 'dragged' Israel into the topic.

I'm too new to know one poster from another, but seems that you're the one who opened the door to discussing Israel.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Actually sterpetron, your opening post 'dragged' Israel into the topic.

I'm too new to know one poster from another, but seems that you're the one who opened the door to discussing Israel.
I mentioned israel simply because of the comparative difference in how the arab world and its abettors in the leftwing media covered the 2010 gaza flotilla and the current mass slaughter in syria.

There is a difference between mentioning another country for comparison purposes, and re-drafting the entire thread around it.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:14 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,529,023 times
Arab countries may be silent, one Muslim nation is not. Turkey almost went to war with Syria in the '80, now their relations are on the brink of being broken over this issue; Turkey is signaling they will cross the Syrian border to deliver supplies and are providing safe haven to defecting Syrian military personnel.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:15 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
It is not surprising that the Arab world is silent. As already mentioned the Arab leaders are worried about their own regimes and don't want to lose their grip on their own populations.
There was also no uproar in the past when Egypt closed its border with Gaza (at the same time that the border with Israel was closed) contributing to the bad situation of the area.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
Obama silence on Syrian genocide.
Very wrong, as early as March, the White House has been vocal on this issue. The problem is that we have no leverage there and stirring the pot by us could give the Syrians an excuse to widen this into a regional crisis with Israel.

Just the first of many statements:

"The United States strongly condemns the Syrian government's brutal repression of demonstrations, in particular the violence and killings of civilians at the hands of security forces," White House spokesman Jay Carney. March 24, 2011

Old 06-19-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Genocide: I don't think that word means what you think it means...

And if the French want to run their mouths about Syria, why don't they do something there? They had no problem intervening unilaterally in the Ivory Coast's affairs recently, what's stopping them now?

Psst: rhetorical question. It's obviously the lack of potential profit.
Cote d'Ivoire was a French colony and France still has considerable influence there. As a country on the Atlantic and with no regional issues, France was free to act. A western nation involving itself in Syria would trigger a regional crisis with Israel and the west.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
Cote d'Ivoire was a French colony and France still has considerable influence there. As a country on the Atlantic and with no regional issues, France was free to act. A western nation involving itself in Syria would trigger a regional crisis with Israel and the west.
You're a thoughtful poster, and thank you for weighing into the thread.

I am not sure, though, if I agree that if the West were to act it would provide political cover for ass-ad. In the first few weeks, maybe that would have been the case, but I believe he is so far past his due date given the widescale slaughtering and shelling of civilian towns that even in damascus - his typical stronghold, there have been significant demonstrations.

And let's be honest here, Obama's and Clinton's proclamations have been few and far between. Clearly, their exclamations and the sanctions in place are not going to stop the slaughter, and I do not want to wait for another 1,000 people shot for walking outside their homes pushing for democracy before obama finally grows up and realizes the US will need to start bombing syrian military assets.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:53 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,459,596 times
Arabs are very tolerant and understanding about murders and mass killings, as long as they are done by other Muslims. Today for example, no week goes in Iraq without suicide bombing killing 50-100 innocent civilians. In Muslims eyes it is understandable. Just a dispute between brothers.
The problem arises when a westerner, Christian or Israeli kills an Arab. That is a no-no. When that happens, all Muslims put aside their differences, uniting in their rage against the foreigner. They see it as an attack against the whole Muslim nation, both illegal and unjustified.
As for Syria, I hope western powers do not intervene. We do not know who are the sides and what a future government may bring. Let them deal with their problems.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:41 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterpetron View Post
#1 - this thread is on syria

#2 - when the arabs start criticizing their own for mass slaughter, when they are very, very quick to condemn israel for the slightest action, THEN I will care a whit about theirs, and your, opinion on israel

#3 - who or what <I> criticize on what day after eating what meal is totally IRRELEVANT, this thread is about how the arab muslims sceech like animals every time Israel does something, but we never hear a peep out of them when another arab is murdering thousands.

Turn off your anti-Israel agenda and hatred of jews, and try to add something intelligent to the thread.
In other words, you don't EVER criticize Israel and you have the NERVE to start a thread taking Arabs to task for not criticizing other Arabs.

It's just another Israeli hypocrite starting a thread to bash Arabs.

Just what I suspected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies