Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 06:49 PM

865 posts, read 623,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
What do you think would have happened differently in the last three years regarding foreign policy/national security, the economy, and education, had McCain/Palin won the 2008 election?
I've seen responses saying things wouldn't be different. I understand that sentiment, but in some ways things would likely be better. I don't think McCain would have signed the stimulus or Frank-Dodd bills and we definitely wouldn't have this behemoth healthcare bill looming. Those things alone are a huge hindrance to the recovery of this economy.

However, in some ways I'm glad Obama got elected...hopefully this will keep people from voting democrat for a long, long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 06:59 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Unemployment would be less than 1%.

The US would be at the prosperous in it's history.

The national debt would have been wiped out.

The military actions in places like Afghanistan and Iraq would be over due to stunning US military victories.

The whole world would worship at the alter of US Supremacy.

(j/k)

Old 06-19-2011, 07:04 PM

1,027 posts, read 824,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Unemployment would be less than 1%.

The US would be at the prosperous in it's history.

The national debt would have been wiped out.

The military actions in places like Afghanistan and Iraq would be over due to stunning US military victories.

The whole world would worship at the alter of US Supremacy.

(j/k)
The OP said McCAIN not REAGAN.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:18 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
Quote:
What do you think would have happened differently in the last three years regarding foreign policy/national security, the economy, and education, had McCain/Palin won the 2008 election?
It would be about the same, just a different set of cronies receiving privilege.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:38 PM

5,938 posts, read 4,699,219 times
As others have said... we'd be in the same situation, except no universal healthcare. Maybe there would've been some equivalent "bombshell" Republican agenda that passed Congress though...

People like to blame the President for gas prices and everything else under the sun, but he doesn't have as much control as one would think. So yeah, same situation mostly regardless of who was in the Oval Office.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:43 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,300,383 times
We would have had a troop surge in Afghanistan AND Iraq. And Palin would be in the news even more. Or she would just up and quit, like she did as governor.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
As others have said... we'd be in the same situation, except no universal healthcare.
We have universal healthcare?

Old 06-19-2011, 09:30 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Cass Sunstein wouldn't have been in the White House daily. Andy Stern wouldn't have visited the White House more than anybody else, alone in 2010 and Richard Trumka wouldn't have taken that place after Stern "resigned" at SEIU.

Probably Jackson wouldn't have been the head of EPA and a whole passel of regulations aimed at doing what cap and trade was supposed to do wouldn't have cut so many jobs.

I could go on but why waste time?

Old 06-19-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Cass Sunstein wouldn't have been in the White House daily. Andy Stern wouldn't have visited the White House more than anybody else, alone in 2010 and Richard Trumka wouldn't have taken that place after Stern "resigned" at SEIU.

Probably Jackson wouldn't have been the head of EPA and a whole passel of regulations aimed at doing what cap and trade was supposed to do wouldn't have cut so many jobs.

I could go on but why waste time?
Never heard of any of those people. I suppose you'll say that proves your point (whatever your point is).

Old 06-19-2011, 09:33 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Not much different. McCain was fiercely pro-bailout, so economically we would be in the same exact position as now. Most likely we would still have over 100K troops in Iraq, and very few in Afghanistan, and as a result, Bin Laden would still be alive and well. In mid-terms Dems would have won more seats because people would blame the economy on McCain and Republicans.

All in all, things would be very similar. Same applies if Hillary had won.
Do you think the Congress would have forced that stimulus plan on us? I say that McCain would have done it much later, if at all. I am sure that any health care law that got passed would have been debated in both houses before it became law without the 5 days Obsms promised to wait.

I fear that you just aren't looking at too many things with your eyes open so go ahead and open them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies