Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2011, 11:51 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
no. Logically there has to be a cause bigger than the things that exist.
I guess God doesn't exist, then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 11:54 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I guess God doesn't exist, then.
God is not a "thing".

And the issue of infinite regression of causality would dictate that there is a beginning cause at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
And you have repeatedly run away from the direct demonstration that your "logical deduction" is internally contradictory and self refuting.

So the symmetry there is perfect.
Correction: I've repeatedly ignored stupid assertions (not demonstrations) that my "logical deduction" is contradictory. You and the others have yet to demonstrate it.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:58 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,041,135 times
Quote:
no. Logically there has to be a cause bigger than the things that exist. At some point there had to be an uncaused cause.
No.

That's not logical.

That's a logical cop-out.

However,that's irrelevant to evolution, as that's been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt and is scientific fact.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:01 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,420,553 times
Quote:
Honestly....I don't think it matters at this point. Like the rest of the anti-God crowd on this board, you're closed-minded and won't accept whatever I give you.

If you want to understand it, go back and re-read my posts, or google "cosmological argument". It's not that complicated.
Haha... and when you realize your argument is faulty and illogical, you don't even have the cajones to admit it.

Sadly for you, I actually do believe in God, and I am a non-denominational Christian. What I don't subscribe to is the silly beliefs of the dumbed-down evangelical American Christians who don't have a clue that what they are espousing doesn't make sense. I believe people like you are doing the religion a disservice as a whole by presenting faulty arguments that have been proven wrong while ignoring both scientific evidence and evidence that the Bible has been manipulated by man while cherry picking those ideas from the Bible that fit your individualistic beliefs, a core component of evangelical American Christianity. This drives people away from the religion.

My goal in all of these arguments is to expose you and your people's arguments for the frauds they are. You cannot go around parading circular logic and imaginary fantasies as sound arguments... however, that is all your sect does and it embarrasses the religion as a whole.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:14 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
God is not a "thing".
Fascinating. So the only way to use logic to prove God's existence is to sneakily define a category that the logic doesn't apply to. Special pleading makes for unsound logic.

Quote:
And the issue of infinite regression of causality would dictate that there is a beginning cause at some point.
The assumption of causality is yours.

Quote:
Correction: I've repeatedly ignored stupid assertions (not demonstrations) that my "logical deduction" is contradictory. You and the others have yet to demonstrate it.
I wouldn't necessarily call it contradictory, it works fine under the premises you set up.

It's just that you've pre-loaded the conclusion into your premises - your argument only works if you accept the implicit premise of there being a special, uncreated category of entities. Except that the existence of that category is what you've set out to prove.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:32 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Still find it interesting that some equate believing in scence as fact (evolution bing one branch) as not believing in a creator. Nothing can be further from the truth and comes across as under-estimating HIS ability IMHO.
Casper

Old 06-21-2011, 12:34 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,420,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Still find it interesting that some equate believing in scence as fact (evolution bing one branch) as not believing in a creator. Nothing can be further from the truth and comes across as under-estimating HIS ability IMHO.
Casper
Precisely. It's sad how many evangelical Christians out there think of God as some sort of simple being that can only do a limited amount of things.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:37 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTrang View Post
Evolution is no longer a theory but a scientific law. It describes the diversity and similarities of specieis. It is fact-based, and no serious scientist disputes it.

The fact that fact contradicts your mythology, AND you would rather hold onto your mythology and the hope for an "eternal golden parachute" it holds out to you is about YOU, not nature.

You are free to self-deceive yourself, and I support your right to do so, but don't for a moment think it can go beyond that.

As far as research "into creationism" is concerned, there is nothing to research - it is all fable, and you can't research that which has proven not to exist.

It would be like researching fire-breathing dragons, or the Jolly Green Giant.
Nicely said

Some of the most learned theological minds have reconciled the two but too many in this country still keep moving backwards. We are headed for our very own 'Dark Ages' sure enough.

"Marc Leclerc, who teaches natural philosophy at the Gregorian University, said the "time has come for a rigorous and objective valuation" of Darwin by the Church as the 200th anniversary of Darwin's birth approaches.

Professor Leclerc argues that too many of Darwin's opponents, primarily Creationists, mistakenly claim his theories are "totally incompatible with a religious vision of reality".
"The Vatican claims Darwin's theory of evolution is compatible with Christianity - Telegraph

Some additional food for thought:

"Finally a theologian has echoed what I believe. In the May–August 2003 NCSE Reports, Prof. John Haught of Georgetown University says that creationism debases the Bible: "Theologically, 'intelligent design' trivializes both science and the scriptures by bringing in God at the level of science. . . . The proponents of 'intelligent design' seem unable to separate evolution from evolutionary materialism. They throw the baby out with the bathwater, discarding good science and at the same time turning God into a tinkerer rather than a creator.""

Logos versus Lithos: Creationism versus Evolution

Old 06-21-2011, 12:46 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Haha... and when you realize your argument is faulty and illogical, you don't even have the cajones to admit it.

Sadly for you, I actually do believe in God, and I am a non-denominational Christian. What I don't subscribe to is the silly beliefs of the dumbed-down evangelical American Christians who don't have a clue that what they are espousing doesn't make sense. I believe people like you are doing the religion a disservice as a whole by presenting faulty arguments that have been proven wrong while ignoring both scientific evidence and evidence that the Bible has been manipulated by man while cherry picking those ideas from the Bible that fit your individualistic beliefs, a core component of evangelical American Christianity. This drives people away from the religion.

My goal in all of these arguments is to expose you and your people's arguments for the frauds they are. You cannot go around parading circular logic and imaginary fantasies as sound arguments... however, that is all your sect does and it embarrasses the religion as a whole.
What argument have I proposed that is "circular"? Do you even really know what that means?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Precisely. It's sad how many evangelical Christians out there think of God as some sort of simple being that can only do a limited amount of things.
I have no problem believing God could work by evolution if he wanted to. There is not evidence that He did, though. The Genesis account contradicts it, as does natural evidence, such as the fossil record.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:46 PM

195 posts, read 186,402 times
Quote:
What else would you call a being that created the universe?
Except that argument hinges on an assertion you made earlier. Simply because you say a being created the universe does not make it so. Causality is not proof of such a being only that there was a cause. You are making an assertion to claim A proves B via an Appeal Fallacy because it is what you wish to be true rather than providing any factual evidence that illustrates it is.

Quote:
That's my point. Time had a beginning. It is not eternal, or we never could have passed an eternal amount of time to get to this today.
But that still does not prove your assertion about God. Correlation because causality is accepted does not prove causation as your argument attempts to assert.

In short, Causation being accepted does not in of itself dictate Creationism should be accepted, is accepted, or should be taught as theory or science. You make an assumptive leap in saying that Causality being accepted means Creationism should be, the correlation does not create causation and as such you are enacting False Cause to declare one leads to the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies