Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 07:37 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
It is.

Ditto Krishna and Mithra.

Joseph Campbell FTW.
Does it prove anything? The authors of those legends had access to Jewish prophecies and the OT historical books. Can you prove they didn't just develop their own myths?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 07:38 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Here's an idea. Teach evolution and creationism and let children think and decide for themselves.
Except that this would be unconstitutional as well as boneheaded.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:42 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Is it?
Yes
Quote:
Do you have any original documents or early manuscripts of the epic of gilgamesh to base that on?
No. I do not.
Quote:
Does it prove anything if some ancient peoples heard of the prophecies of the coming Messiah and formed their own legend?
Do you hold your own beliefs to this same standard? Do you have any original documents referring to the Jesus myth? Do you have any evidence that the mesopotamians heard of these 'prophecies'?

Old 06-23-2011, 07:45 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Except that this would be unconstitutional as well as boneheaded.
How is that unconstitutional? Enforcing religion or making it law goes against separation of church and state, but teaching it as a possible explanation or one option of many isn't.

And of course, many people think that teaching creationism is boneheaded but many people think teaching evolution is boneheaded. No matter what we do, someone will think it's boneheaded and try to oppose it. So why not give kids all the options and let them decide?

Old 06-23-2011, 07:46 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Yes

No. I do not.

Do you hold your own beliefs to this same standard? Do you have any original documents referring to the Jesus myth? Do you have any evidence that the mesopotamians heard of these 'prophecies'?
I have the utmost confidence that the text I read was translated from a text that is more accurate than you could believe. We have manuscripts from about 125 AD. Thousands of manuscripts. No other work in antiquity compares to it. You would do well to do a bit of study on how we determine the textual dependability of the Bible before you embarass yourself on this one. There is no contest.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:47 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Very few atheists I know have any idea how Christianity started or developed. If they did, they'd probably be Christians.
The problem is that you yourself have no idea how the Judeo-Christian religion started and developed.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:48 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Perhaps you'd like to explain why the myth of Jesus is so similar to the story of Gilgamesh
I was thinking more of the minor god YAHWEH.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Does it prove anything? The authors of those legends had access to Jewish prophecies and the OT historical books. Can you prove they didn't just develop their own myths?
Inasmuch as anything can be so proven, and it's just as valid - and in the case of Sumerian and older Babylonian sources, more so - to say that the Jews had access to OLDER prophecies and historical books.

There's even evidence of this in the New Testament - the similarities between the tenets expressed in the Sermon on the Mount and the Upanishads, which are much older, are obvious.

The similarities are striking and undeniable, so much so that it cannot be a coincidence.

Even better, you cannot prove otherwise. Let me remind you once again that the rules of logic that you so like to cite apply to your arguments as well, even when you find them inconvenient.

You can choose to just turn a blind eye to it, as so many fundamentalist Christians choose to do in willful ignorance, or you could broaden your horizons a bit and choose to see it for what the evidence supports: that some moral and ethical principles are universal among mankind, that some stories and parables are far older than most people know, and that mythological and religious plagiarism is nothing new.

Do you REALLY think the Jews could be held captive in Babylon for so long without experiencing some cultural influence? Really?

Abram (Abraham) was from Ur, remember? He was a Chaldean.

The evidence is strongly against you here.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
I have the utmost confidence that the text I read was translated from a text that is more accurate than you could believe. We have manuscripts from about 125 AD. Thousands of manuscripts. No other work in antiquity compares to it. You would do well to do a bit of study on how we determine the textual dependability of the Bible before you embarass yourself on this one. There is no contest.
"Convictions are more dangerous enemies of the truth than lies."

One of these days you will understand the meaning of this quote.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:56 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Textual dependability says nothing about the accuracy about the statements contained within.

Aka: repeatedly retelling the same lies does not make them truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies