Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2011, 09:54 AM

419 posts, read 365,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
In an attempt to modify behavior. It is also known as social re-engineering through government propaganda.
Trying to help people not smoke is a bad thing? Warning them is a bad thing?

Is there anything out there in the world you wish the government would social re-engineer and would be successful? Anything helpful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 09:55 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
You're the one who made the accusation that this was unconstitutional. The onus is on you to back up your claims.
The government has the burden to prove it's position is Constitutional.

The government has no business in this,it is a personal health matter.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:56 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,095,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Where does the US Constitution give the federal government the authority to mandate the publishing of propaganda on private companies?

Have you even read the US Constitution?

Yup, have a copy of one that I got from the Heritage Foundation.

P.S. You're use of the word "propaganda" implies that you do not agree with the wording of the warnings. Quick question: do you think that there may be some positive benefits of cigarette smoking that the government is trying to keep quiet?

Old 06-21-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyone57 View Post
Trying to help people not smoke is a bad thing? Warning them is a bad thing?
It is not the government's business.

Quote:
Is there anything out there in the world you wish the government would social re-engineer and would be successful? Anything helpful?
I would suggest reading the Constitution and then using that to decide how government should act.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:58 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
The government has the burden to prove it's position is Constitutional.

The government has no business in this,it is a personal health matter.
The government decides how disabled someone has to be to receive benefits and decides if each individual who applies for benefits meets the criteria they lay out. The government makes personal health decisions all the time. This isn't even making a decision for someone--it's simply giving them a warning.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:58 AM

15,060 posts, read 8,622,286 times
I wish some people would grow a few brain cells in the common sense area of their brains.

The FDA .... are unequivocally a US Government sponsored "terrorist organization". They are strong armed thugs who have repeatedly approved known dangerous pharmaceutical drugs and have helped pharmaceutical companies conceal those dangers ... while swat teaming local dairies to ensure that those Weapons of Mass Destruction ... raw healthy milk ... never make it to local consumers who want it. They approve dangerous genetically modified crops from Monsanto, while wanting to wipe off the planet your access to vitamins (read up on Codex ... google Codex - Vitamins)

The fact is, all of these alphabet agencies ... the FDA ... ATF ... EPA ... DEA ... all of them are thug mafia strong arms ... and we'd be better off if NONE OF THEM EXISTED.

We have thousands of people sick and dying in the Gulf Coast region, poisoned by the BP disaster ... and the chemical dispersants used which are 4 times as toxic as the oil. And they are being left to die.

We have the EPA raising the safe levels of radiation as much as a thousand times over previous safe levels in response to the Japanese Nuclear disaster .... somehow, radiation is now safer than it used to be ... but those damned cigarettes will kill you where you stand!!!

Good God people .... get a freaking clue. These criminals don't give a rats arse about you or your health ... but they do want to control everything you do.

STOP SUPPORTING THIS AUTHORITARIANISM !!! WAKE UP!!! QUIT BEING SHEEP !!!

Old 06-21-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
The government decides how disabled someone has to be to receive benefits and decides if each individual who applies for benefits meets the criteria they lay out. The government makes personal health decisions all the time. This isn't even making a decision for someone--it's simply giving them a warning.
Where is that in the Constitution?

Old 06-21-2011, 09:59 AM

419 posts, read 365,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
It is not the government's business.

I would suggest reading the Constitution and then using that to decide how government should act.
I don't care what the Constitution says about that. I am asking you. What would you personally have changed? If you could that is.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:00 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I think the government is taking this a bit to far. The pictures are disgusting.

My Dad was a heavy Marlboro smoker which seemed like forever, he is 83, nothing wrong with him. I believe smoking affects different people differnet ways.....My poor Aunt died of breast cancer at 57, never smoked, her sister smoked and died at 81.....there is no rhyme or reason.

As a non-smoker even I think the smoking rules are ridiculous........If the wonderful government is that concerned about our health, they should just ban the making of all tobacco products already.........

I am sick of the governmnet butting into everyones business already.
You are absolutely right, tobacco use effects everyone differently. The vast majority of tobacco users are affected adversely. Not necessarily contracting cancer, but usually contracting some other form of lung disease. It is also likely that long term smokers will develop an enlarged heart as a direct result to smoking. The oxygen content inhaled by smokers is less than the oxygen content inhaled by non-smokers. As a result, over time the body compensates by increasing the number of red blood cells to carry more oxygen. This increase in red blood cells causes the heart to increase to process the extra blood and frequently results in hypertension.

Again, everything stated above is in general terms, using statistics. Specifically, it is as you stated, we are all different physiologically and will react differently.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyone57 View Post
I don't care what the Constitution says about that.
This might be the problem....

Quote:
I am asking you. What would you personally have changed? If you could that is.
It is not the government's business to decide what is 'good for us'....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies