Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2011, 03:16 PM

218 posts, read 148,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Sieg heil to the nanny state then? You say common sense is not in abundance in addicts... okay... how about in the general population? Unless you believe in predestination and that some people are just fated to take that first puff.

Was it stupid of me to ever try one cigarette? Of course. But I was completely informed of the health risks and made a conscious adult decision to try one.
You are only one person. All other people are not necessarily like you. I don't believe in "predestination". Different strokes for different folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 03:18 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I could truly care less if people smoked. I loved smoking and did it heavily for decades. I am far from rabid. I do however know how difficult it is for most smokers to quit. sure people quit everyday, how many quit for good? some people can and do quit the first time out and don't have a hard time doing so. that is not the norm. most smokers quit multiple times before they can quit, and a good deal can't do it cold turkey and need nicotine replacement to step down and quit.
I gave up smoking for 18 years...and then started again. Dumbarse of the century or what?

Old 06-21-2011, 03:20 PM

218 posts, read 148,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i'm not so sure; adolescents generally think they're immortal. or that they can start now and quit later.
Not all adolescents are the same. The photo campaign is worth it if it stops only a few people from becoming addicted smokers and motivates just a few people to stop smoking. Consider the hospital and medical bills of those smokers who do develop lung cancer, especially if those people do not have medical insurance and receive some medical care through medicair and through emergency services in hospitals all over the country. An ounce of prevention....and all that.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:31 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
I gave up smoking for 18 years...and then started again. Dumbarse of the century or what?
no not really, you just got comfortable enough in your quit that when the junkie thinking started to talk, you believed the voice that said you could have just a puff or two. lots of smokers quit for years and find one day they start smoking again. we just get a bit over confident and forget to value our quit. I fell off the wagon after being off smokes for 6 years. the second detox was even harder than the first. they say a relapse smoker smokes another 2 to 3 years before they get the nerve up to quit again. that was true for me as well.

falling off the wagon can teach you a great lesson that some of us hard core addicts need to learn... it did teach me to value my quit and never take another puff again. I have been clean now for 12 years or so. give it another go, there really is nothing like the freedom of not being tied to a pack of smokes.

the gruesome pictures would help me every time I looked at them to want to stop.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:24 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingwithpain View Post
Young kids would benefit from seeing the pictures, the visual may kill their desire to start smoking. Old folks, of course, are going to be too jaded to be influenced by photos...and far too addicted.
Actually kids today will want to buy cigarettes just to see the gruesome pics....

Old 06-21-2011, 04:24 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
no not really, you just got comfortable enough in your quit that when the junkie thinking started to talk, you believed the voice that said you could have just a puff or two. lots of smokers quit for years and find one day they start smoking again. we just get a bit over confident and forget to value our quit.
True enough.

Quote:
I have been clean now for 12 years or so. give it another go,......
I've thought about it but I'm 61 years old now and keep thinking; what will it get me? An extra 5 years that I can spend sat in a chair in an old folks home... dribbling down my chin and having to have someone help me take a crap. (yeah, I know. That's just an excuse not to give up smoking )

Old 06-21-2011, 04:44 PM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Default ............in the event of tobacco related illness

This demonstrates that the creators of such gruesome images are professionally inept and sucking on some bad socio-psycho smoke blowing up their skirts.

The most effective warning lable that could be placed on a ciggy package is: Use of this product precludes filing for legal compensation in the event of tobacco related illness.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:56 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingwithpain View Post
Common sense does not seem to be in abundance in people with strong addictions. Denial rules the day.....usually until the day the disease overcomes them.

Hopefully the pictures will have an effect on kids who are considering becoming smokers. Also, does anyone deny that there are many people in the U.S who CANNOT READ? Pictures speak a thousand words, as they say.

Why do you assume that all smokers are addicted?

Old 06-21-2011, 04:59 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Why do you assume that all smokers are addicted?
because the majority are

Old 06-21-2011, 05:31 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
Quote:
because the majority are
How do you know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies