Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 09:44 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,998,245 times

Advertisements

How many of you remember the cigarette commercials on T.V. or when they openly smoked on T.V.?
I remember Dean Martin,Laugh-In,the Tonight Show everyone smoked and when the ban took effect they put on as many cigarette commecials as they could.Wonder what the cost was for a 30 second spot on T.V. before the ban? Beer and hard liquor companies are all over the T.V. are they next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 11:19 AM

272 posts, read 484,584 times
It's all about money. If the government really wanted people to stop smoking, they would make tobacco companies remove the ingredient that keeps smokers hooked on the drug. Instead they tax the hell out of it, and put dollars in their advertising friends pockets.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:25 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
How many of you remember the cigarette commercials on T.V. or when they openly smoked on T.V.?
I remember Dean Martin,Laugh-In,the Tonight Show everyone smoked and when the ban took effect they put on as many cigarette commecials as they could.Wonder what the cost was for a 30 second spot on T.V. before the ban? Beer and hard liquor companies are all over the T.V. are they next?

Yes, I remember laugh-in, he was always smoking.

I also remember an episode of "Columbo" and 2 women were in a dept store and the were looking at clothes on the racks, but they were smoking. Can you imagine smoking in a clothes store, never mind 2nd hand smoke, I am thinking fire hazzard.

I also remember my Mom smoking in Shop Rite as she was doing her grocery shopping, also don't forget any type of waiting room...... be it auto mechanic or doctors office.....

yeah, I am really showing my age now.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:28 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Just revisited this thread and was once again saved from starting smoking for the first time in my life thanks to the scary pictures.

I hope the pics compel Obama to quit just as they kept me from starting.
Thank god for our all-knowing gov.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:33 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Just revisited this thread and was once again saved from starting smoking for the first time in my life thanks to the scary pictures.

I hope the pics compel Obama to quit just as they kept me from starting.
Thank god for our all-knowing gov.

the first lady said obama is no longer smoking, he has quit

Old 06-24-2011, 11:38 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
he's become one of those ex-smokers...

Old 06-24-2011, 11:41 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
the first lady said obama is no longer smoking, he has quit
Oh I'm sure she has. The negative press and implications of hypocrisy would have compelled her to say so.

yes I'm calling her a liar.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:44 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Yes, I remember laugh-in, he was always smoking.

I also remember an episode of "Columbo" and 2 women were in a dept store and the were looking at clothes on the racks, but they were smoking. Can you imagine smoking in a clothes store, never mind 2nd hand smoke, I am thinking fire hazzard.

I also remember my Mom smoking in Shop Rite as she was doing her grocery shopping, also don't forget any type of waiting room...... be it auto mechanic or doctors office.....

yeah, I am really showing my age now.
Ah, the good old days!

I remember all that, too.

I remember being able to smoke at my desk at work!

Old 06-24-2011, 11:52 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Oh I'm sure she has. The negative press and implications of hypocrisy would have compelled her to say so.

yes I'm calling her a liar.

sounds like no matter who said he quit you wouldn't believe. do you need to see him on video 24/7 for months to believe it as addictive and difficult as quitting is, some people are able to quit.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:22 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
Next gruesome images-
Dead body hanging out of a car door mangled in car wreck on cans of beer and bottles of wine.
On bags of potato chips or cartons of ice cream- grossly overweight woman stuffing her face with the product saying 'this will be you'.
Photo of a humans liver looking like a swiss cheese on liquor bottles.
Cigarettes are a legal product. If our government thinks the product is killing people or causing huge health care costs, why is the product still being sold? Could it be that the product is not banned because of the hugh amounts of taxes collected? A toy painted with paint containing lead makes national news.
Millions of cigarettes sold every day. Continue collecting taxes on them.
Always follow the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies