Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2011, 03:34 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
IOW. Can using this product in the prescribed manner, as it is intended, be harmful to your health? - Yes.

It can, yes. So can driving a car. Or riding a bicycle. You can do everything right and still get run over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 03:38 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
There is no such thing as "smoking in moderation." Nicotine is an addictive substance and while smoking infrequently may take longer for someone to become addicted, addiction is always the end result. That is not true with alcohol. You can drink a glass of wine per day and not worry about eventually turning into a wino. Where alcohol addiction is the result of excessive alcohol use, smoking tobacco will always result in addiction no matter how much or how little one smokes.

Tobacco also does not relieve stress. Similar to the way an alcoholic drink will make one feel warmer on a cold day, or cooler on a hot day, smoking only makes one feel less stressed because it: 1) increases the blood pressure; 2) constricts blood vessels; 3) reduces the oxygen intake; and 4) increases the heart rate. So it will provide symptomatic relief, or make one feel less stressed, but only by making their body even more physically stressed than it was before they smoked.

You are totally wrong on both counts. I have first hand experience with people who smoke and are not addicted.

And I can assure you that sitting on my deck with a cigar and glass of bourbon is a wonderful stress reliever.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:43 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You are totally wrong on both counts. I have first hand experience with people who smoke and are not addicted.

And I can assure you that sitting on my deck with a cigar and glass of bourbon is a wonderful stress reliever.

you or the people that smoke have no idea if they are addicted or not until they try to quit. being able to not smoke for a day or two, even a few weeks or months does not mean you are not addicted only that you can grit it out for a period of time until you smoke again. 98% of all smokers are indeed addicted and smoke not because they want to but because they have to.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:20 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Then 1) they have not been smoking for very long (far less than a year); or 2) they are lying their ass off and you believed them.

Quote:
You just think it relieves your stress. If you took your blood pressure while puffing on that cigar you will notice an increase, as well as an increase in your heart rate. You are also getting less oxygen and your blood vessels are more constricted. It is what they call "qualitative and quantitative evidence", as opposed to mere "anecdotal evidence."

You can go out into a blizzard and drink a bottle of Scotch and feel warm and toasty, but that too is a lie. Alcohol causes the blood vessels to dilate, which shifts blood flow to the surface of the skin where nerve endings respond to changes in temperature. A gallon of 99-degree blood flowing past your natural thermometers makes you feel all warm and cozy. However, as a result of letting more blood flow past the surface of the skin, where the cold outside air is able to steal a little bit more heat from your core, you are actually causing your body to freeze even faster.

As I said, you are only feeling symptomatic relief, a figment of your imagination, like alcohol making you "feel" warmer on a cold day. The reality is that you are actually causing your body even more stress.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:13 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times
Quote:
It can, yes. So can driving a car. Or riding a bicycle. You can do everything right and still get run over.
However, operating those vehicles properly are not inherently dangerous. Smoking as perscribed on the other hand, is. I don't think you are getting the nuance. Inhaling asbestos fibers in moderation would be OK?

Old 08-17-2011, 09:13 AM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,292 times
Tobacco giants suing FDA over warning labels mandate - CNN.com

Five tobacco companies, including some of the largest in the United States, filed a lawsuit against the federal government on Tuesday, alleging that government-mandated graphic warning labels on cigarette packages unconstitutionally infringe on the companies' rights. "The primary complaint is that we think it violates the First Amendment for the government to require people who produce a lawful product to essentially urge prospective purchasers not to buy it," says Floyd Abrams, a prominent First Amendment case expert who's representing the plaintiffs.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:09 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,993,500 times
Do people know nothing about addiction and human nature? Newsflash: gruesome images won't stop addicts from smoking.

$20 a pack won't do it, either. The politicians love those sin taxes because that's more free money for them to play with and spend on prostitutes.

The war on smoking in the US has been won. The cigarette companies have been focusing their attentions in China. It's time for the US to focus their attentions toward the war on obesity. Obesity will end up costing the US as much if not more in health care costs as the Baby Boomers get older and fatter and the younger generations (who are out-numbered by the geezer Boomers) will have to pick up the tab for them, eventually bankrupting their own health and future.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:54 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
update:
Quote:
A judge on Monday blocked a federal requirement that would have begun forcing tobacco companies next year to put graphic images including dead and diseased smokers on their cigarette packages.

U.S. District Judge Richard Leon ruled that it's likely the cigarette makers will succeed in a lawsuit to block the requirement. He stopped the requirement until the lawsuit is resolved, which could take years.

Leon found the nine graphic images approved by the Food and Drug Administration in June go beyond conveying the facts about the health risks of smoking or go beyond that into advocacy - a critical distinction in a case over free speech.

News from The Associated Press (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SMOKING_GRAPHIC_IMAGES?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEM PLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-11-07-12-02-53 - broken link)

Old 11-07-2011, 02:17 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,292 times
That's cool -- I'll just get the satisfaction of looking at dying, diseased smokers in person instead of pictures of them on packs of cancer sticks.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:53 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
That's cool -- I'll just get the satisfaction of looking at dying, diseased smokers in person instead of pictures of them on packs of cancer sticks.
Why would you get satisfaction from that?
Seems creepy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies