Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 08:13 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,984,135 times

Advertisements

Top legal advisors to President told him what he is doing is illegal.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/18/wo...pagewanted=all

Law breaking by establishment elites, ignored or tolerated by other establishment elites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 08:16 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,330,440 times
Yet, he went forward without congressional approval anyways. Very distressing. Thank you for posting this. All citizens should be outraged by this.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:23 PM

I want to see a US General stand up and refuse to follow any illegal order in regards carrying out military action in Libya or Yemen, coming from the Nobel Peace prize winner....that would make my day.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:33 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,330,440 times
Why aren't more congressmen and women publicly decrying this? It makes me sick. It makes me believe that the republicans who aren't adamantly opposing it secretly (or publicly) agree with the mission, and the dems who should be opposed to it on principle alone won't because their leader is a fellow dem. I'm infuriated at the republicans who think it's A-Okay to engage in another costly war with no real mission or goal, and I'm equally infuriated at the dems who refuse to not blindly follow their democratic leader.

(Disclaimer: Yes, I KNOW that many on both sides are opposed to the Libya mission, but not nearly enough to hold Obama's feet to the fire and hold him accountable for the $10 Million per day we are wasting).

Old 06-17-2011, 08:34 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
Anyone who believe we are not engaged in "hostilities" needs to have their head examined. How insulting and arrogant of obama and his team in trying to dupe people with these word games.

I really don't understand his problem.

I had assumed that Congress would approve his moves on Libya, months ago (not days or weeks, as obama said this would last).

My god, was this the candidate who railed against abuse of power by the WH? Who railed about the proper authority and role of each branch of the government?

And yet, here he is, usurping the authority of congress, lying to the American people and refusing to do the right and lawful thing by going to congress.

Quote:
Why aren't more congressmen and women publicly decrying this?
They are. Boehner has come out with his ultimatum. So have some brave and honest democrats. The media has been negligent and SILENT as this debacle continues on. You just have to accept the fact that what the media would rail and beat up on Bush for, they give obama as pass. In the recent debate, he was hit pretty hard by the GOP.

A majority of Americans oppose the Libya action.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ...ction_in_libya

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/18/wo...pagewanted=all

Quote:
Presidents have the legal authority to override the legal conclusions of the Office of Legal Counsel and to act in a manner that is contrary to its advice, but it is extraordinarily rare for that to happen. Under normal circumstances, the office’s interpretation of the law is legally binding on the executive branch.
So..basically what he did was reject the Office of Legal Counsel (the President's lawyers) and shop around for some opinions more favorable to his own.

I'm thinking after this bit of news catches fire, Congress will be all over him.

Of course, it is your typical Friday night news dump.

My gosh...WHY did he do it?

Last edited by sanrene; 06-17-2011 at 08:49 PM..

Old 06-17-2011, 08:35 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
Sad isn't it how because it is Obama the left ignores or tries to divert the topic.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:54 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
Read this carefully;

Quote:
The administration followed an unusual process in developing its position.

In this case, however, Ms. Krass was asked to submit the Office of Legal Counsel’s thoughts in a less formal way to the White House, along with the views of lawyers at other agencies.
Meaning, he was NOT bound by the OLC ruling. He knew if he went through the NORMAL procedure, they would tell him what he was doing was illegal. He rigged the process by going the "less formal way", because he knew what the end result would be.

I'm flabbergasted.

What could possibly be so important with Libya that he risks his presidency?

Old 06-17-2011, 08:56 PM

Also very telling from the 2nd to last paragraph in the story.....His own Attorney General Eric Holder agreed that the action was illegal....LOL

Other high-level Justice lawyers were also involved in the deliberations, and Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. supported Ms. Krass’s view, officials said.

So the AG, the OLC, and the DoD all told him it is illegal.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Read this carefully;

Meaning, he was NOT bound by the OLC ruling. He knew if he went through the NORMAL procedure, they would tell him what he was doing was illegal. He rigged the process by going the "less formal way", because he knew what the end result would be.

I'm flabbergasted.

What could possibly be so important with Libya that he risks his presidency?
Hubris. To expand the powers of the Presidency.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:58 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,477,620 times
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/18/wo.../18powers.html

Absolutely AMAZING!!! This scumbag idiot Obozo is nothing but trouble on everything. The clown must go!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies