Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2011, 10:24 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,946,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I'm tired of hearing, "It's so hard to raise kids when xyz is so expensive and we can't afford..."

Well, then...freakin' don't have kids. They are really, really expensive and time consuming.
Some states are trying to eliminate contraception as well as abortion. Are you going to ask people to quit having sex. Good luck with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 10:26 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Some states are trying to eliminate contraception as well as abortion. Are you going to ask people to quit having sex. Good luck with that.
No. I am not going to tell anyone what to do. But I am going to expect them to live with the consequences of their decisions without whining about it to me and expecting me to financially support them.

That's the point of freedom and liberty. You get to have it...but that means you're responsible for yourself and the outcomes of your choices, as well.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:31 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,946,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No. I am not going to tell anyone what to do. But I am going to expect them to live with the consequences of their decisions without whining about it to me and expecting me to financially support them.

That's the point of freedom and liberty. You get to have it...but that means you're responsible for yourself and the outcomes of your choices, as well.
Buy yourself an Island and move there and people will leave you alone with your money.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:54 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,309,853 times
I see many erroneous assumptions in the OP.

1) Having a two income family is not a "progressive" trait. It is a decision based on many factors. Lots of people use the grandparents as caregivers and continue to work and that is one of the oldest, most traditional models out there.

2) Quality of SAH mom or dad is highly variable - it is not a "superior way to raise kids".

3) If you decide to have a 2 income household, you do not "make public school union bureaucrats equal partners in raising your kids" anymore than a single income household does. Exceptions are when kids are home-schooled, or go to private school - which can be done in either a 1 or 2 income household.

4) The Greatest Generation is superior but the subsequent generation is not so great. Why is that? Must be that great SAHM parenting.... not.

It's best to realize that with all our options today a lot of different arrangements can work out just fine.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:20 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Many progressives seem to have rejected the idea of a mom and dad at home with one parent (mom or dad) staying at home to raise the child or children.

The progressive, modern way to raise kids is:

1. Both parents at work at least 40 hours per week.

2. Two dads or two moms

3. Making public school union bureaucrats equal partners in raising your kids.

4. And that most common of American child-rearing: One parent household with that parent working full-time.

I don't have a big problem with gay parenting (although it would be best if one of the dads or moms stayed at home to raise the kids). Plus gay parents tend to adopt (for obvious reasons )which is good for depleting the supply of unwanted kids at orphanages.

Why can't we go back to the good ol' days where one parent worked (usually papa) while the other parent (usually mama) stayed at home as a homemaker.

There is no shame in that and the children become well-rounded adults. That is one area where the Greatest Generation is obviously superior.
""" Why can't we go back to the good ol' days where one parent worked (usually papa) while the other parent (usually mama) stayed at home as a homemaker. """

Oh yes, the "good" old days that never existed ...if only we lived in a Utopia like repugs dream of...

Guess it's too many reruns of "Ozzie and Harriet" or "Father Knows Best" and thinking that was the real world....
OK, Mommy stays obediently at home(because women are cattle and all think alike and want exactly the same thing) and Daddy trots off to work(in shirt and tie, of course) and then

MAGIC HAPPENS

wages go up

children grow up perfect

crime stops(children are perfect, remember)

Parents have lots of vacation time to spend in family activities(no more 60-70 hour weeks because employers appreciate the hard work)

Daddy NEVER beats Mommy or has sex with his children

Wars stop

and life is the dreamworld repugs need....

Old 06-22-2011, 05:24 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Not this progressive mom ... Stop generalizing. I know plenty of conservative moms and dad's who wouldn't dream of going down to one salary to raise their child ... They would rather maintain their child free lifestyle and let others take care of their show children. me? I'm happy to forgo family vacations and spend time with the children we chose to have.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:54 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Many progressives seem to have rejected the idea of a mom and dad at home with one parent (mom or dad) staying at home to raise the child or children.

The progressive, modern way to raise kids is:

1. Both parents at work at least 40 hours per week.

2. Two dads or two moms

3. Making public school union bureaucrats equal partners in raising your kids.

4. And that most common of American child-rearing: One parent household with that parent working full-time.

I don't have a big problem with gay parenting (although it would be best if one of the dads or moms stayed at home to raise the kids). Plus gay parents tend to adopt (for obvious reasons )which is good for depleting the supply of unwanted kids at orphanages.

Why can't we go back to the good ol' days where one parent worked (usually papa) while the other parent (usually mama) stayed at home as a homemaker.

There is no shame in that and the children become well-rounded adults. That is one area where the Greatest Generation is obviously superior.
Well, the "Greatest Generation" raised the Baby Boomers of today ..and yes! we're superior ....so no more threads bashing the boomers!

I guess my mom did stay home during the 40's, 50's and 60's raising a bunch of good kids

because

Dad

had a good paying

UNION JOB!!!!

Old 06-22-2011, 06:03 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Not this progressive mom ... Stop generalizing. I know plenty of conservative moms and dad's who wouldn't dream of going down to one salary to raise their child ... They would rather maintain their child free lifestyle and let others take care of their show children. me? I'm happy to forgo family vacations and spend time with the children we chose to have.

I agree with the generalizing. Not every 2 income family has a McMansion, a Lexus, and smartphones.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:10 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Well this is obvious:

Not all husband and wife "June and Ward Cleaver" families are ideal and successful in raising happy, healthy and well adjusted kids.

Many children reared by a single Mom or Dad, or a same-gender couple. or a grandparent, or even in a foster home, turned out fine.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:12 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
What is intersting is that I come from four generations of working Mom's. My great-great Grandmother worked in the store her Father owned, my great grandmother was a telephone operator, my grandmother was a legal secretary, my Mother was an accountant. There is reallly less of the perfect SAHM than you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies