Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which statement below do you most agree with?
The judge should be thrown out of office and the mother pardoned 48 71.64%
The judge should be applauded for his decision 11 16.42%
Spanking isn't good for children but the judge should not have intervened 5 7.46%
The case should make its way to the Supreme Court 3 4.48%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 10:57 PM

16 posts, read 17,841 times

Advertisements

If my sons started throwing a tantrum in a store, I would tell them to stop or we would leave. If they didn't stop we left immediately. And I made sure that they knew that it was their behavior that was the reason we left. The tantrum's happened twice with each child, then they learned no to do it.

Also, my sons could parrot this back to me, if they weren't behaving at home, they were picked up and carried to their room and told that when they felt that they could behave they could come back out. They were usually asleep in minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 12:03 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
There is nothing in the article to indicate the child was injured in any way.

"According to prosecutors, Gonzáles in December hit the girl with an open hand, leaving some red marks."

Spanking with an open hand is not likely to require one to go to the hospital. A more likely scenario is that the grandmother wanted to get custody of the child. "Going to the hospital" is a meaningless expression.
Yep I'm sure there is much more to this case then some lady spanking her kid. You don't go run to the hospital and all this nonsense over a spanking. Who knows maybe the lady was a nut or maybe the grandparent was a nut. Probably both were.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:04 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times
There was not enough information in the original article to know what happened. But for the grandmother to notice red marks severe enough on the girl's behind enough to think she had to take the child to the hospital makes me think this was not just a "swat on the butt". I wish there had been information on what the hospital findings were.

Remember, on average 5 children a day die from abuse and neglect in America--- it's better for the judge to err on the side of caution. Each year there are over 3 million reports of child abuse and neglect in the U.S., and child abuse is an under-reported crime. There are too many parents who think beating their children is OK. It's not.

http://www.childhelp.org/pages/statistics

Old 12-12-2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Ridiculous. The "ONLY way" is to resort to violence against someone who weighs 1/5 your size? Insanity.

I will never allow someone to hit a child...or teenager or spouse or parent or... Screaming and throwing a tantrum are a nuisance, not misbehavior. I really don't understand why people treat emotional responses so poorly. You do not control a child, you teach it. Huge difference.
I never looked at my children as "it's". I doubt you even have any and don't know a thing of what you speak. Throwing a tantrum and screaming is not misbehavior? LOL

Old 12-12-2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
There was not enough information in the original article to know what happened. But for the grandmother to notice red marks severe enough on the girl's behind enough to think she had to take the child to the hospital makes me think this was not just a "swat on the butt". I wish there had been information on what the hospital findings were.

Remember, on average 5 children a day die from abuse and neglect in America--- it's better for the judge to err on the side of caution. Each year there are over 3 million reports of child abuse and neglect in the U.S., and child abuse is an under-reported crime. There are too many parents who think beating their children is OK. It's not.

National Child Abuse Statistics | Childhelp
Err on the side of caution puts many children in foster care where abuse is more rampant and it's not reported. The state gets money from the feds though so all is good in the world of "caution" unless it's your kid being taken for no reason. Guilty until proven innocent is all they have to say. One of the dark secrets that never see's the light in this country.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:48 AM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,662 times
Why would a child need to go to the hospital after a regular spanking? If it was "Open hand" like she claims, she's either hitting to hard, or using an object. She was wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies