Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 06:21 PM

865 posts, read 623,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Some of the red state defenders on this forum believe that the Flintstones is a documentary.

Enuff said.
That didn't really happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 06:29 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robeaux View Post
That didn't really happen?
i really only know of one, but he is not on the forum, as far as I know.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:33 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,191,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
i really only know of one, but he is not on the forum, as far as I know.
From the other thread I thought you were better than this.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
From the other thread I thought you were better than this.
What do you mean? Better than what? IOW I don't believe anyone, or rather I would hope no one on this forum actually believes that the Flintstones is really meant as a documentary. However, I do know of an individual that uses it as a documentary. I apologize for any missunderstanding.

Last edited by PanTerra; 06-21-2011 at 07:18 PM..

Old 06-21-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
What do you mean? Better than what? IOW I don't believe anyone, or rather I would hope no one on this forum actually believes that the Flintstones is really meant as a documentary. However, I do know of an individual that uses it as a documentary. I apologize for any missunderstanding.

Here is to whom I was referring:

Tyrannosaurus Redux - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 11/14/01 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Old 06-21-2011, 07:49 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Some of the red state defenders on this forum believe that the Flintstones is a documentary.

Enuff said.
Which blue state is it you live in?

Old 06-21-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
So... you're admitting pretty openly that you only posted this in order to win an argument, not to have an reasonable discussion.
Are your words likely to instigate some kind of discussion? I think not but then maybe you learned different word meanings at your school.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
How many of the blue colored states with the highest rates of graduation are actual blue states?
Old Savoir doesn't seem to know that most of those blue states tend to have some large cities that usually change the numbers a bit more than they like to see.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Why do you always just support whatever post agrees with your ideology without ever investigating it?

Seems like you would be curious about the questionable methodology used to derive this list before throwing your support behind something of this nature, if for no other reason than to just save some credibility on here.
How about you doing some discussion about that methodology instead of taking the easy way out making loud noise about nothing?

Old 06-21-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The reality is that since 1960 the dropout rate for all students has dropped from just under 30% to under 10%:
High School Dropout Rates by Gender, 1960–2008 — Infoplease.com

At the same time, especially since NCLB was passed, the definition of dropout has changed and become standardized across the country, basically if a student graduates within 5 years of entering 9th grade or if he/she receives a GED by age 24 he/she is a graduate.

Fast Facts

Many of us graduated from high school during a time when dropouts weren't tracked and didn't count against a school's AYP rating. That changed in some states starting in the 1980's and nationally with the adoption of NCLB.

As an aside the reek of classism and elitisim exuded by some of the posters is, hell, I can't even think of a word for it. And that's unusual.
You are so right in all you said, especially the effect of NCLB on the whole thing. I taught for 28 years in high school and noticed that as time went on less and less was demanded of students. Of course, my time stopped in 1986 and things are even worse today. My wife just retired after 39 years in the same school where students were proud to have been in her classes since she was as tough to make a grade with as I was. Of course, us being in rural Kansas will cause many to make loud noises because of the red and rural part.

In my first 10 years I used many questions of the essay variety on all my tests and got by with it. Then the really special crap of special ed crept into the schools and finally all that crap about self-esteem got in. As time went along more and more kids were unable to write essay answers even when they got only extra credit for them. I am not sure about the schools of today where they teach to the state tests so much of the time. I always wanted even the bottom students to be able to write something to prove that they knew something. Many of my students of the early 60s and 70s would have been called Special Ed today but they managed to answer essay questions because they learned to write in elementary school.

There is too much crap being thrown on this thread, for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies