Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 09:55 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,299,079 times

Advertisements

This belongs in the Portland forum. It is neither political nor controversial on a national level. It's just some random sh*t that happened in Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 10:19 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
You do realize that Portland water is not filtered or treated before going to homes?

So if you lived in the area, you would be drinking this guys ****.

It sucks, I know personally, but it is what you need to deal with. Not like huge amounts of water come down from the sky naturally.
Lets see, guy probably peed 1 pint into almost 64,000,000 Pints of water, that's bad. But it's ok to drink and cook with 64,000,000 Pints of water that contains dead animals and who knows what else????

This logic is beyond me.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:22 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
What a horrible decision. As pointed out, it is open so it's already contaminated with bird crap and bugs. Yet one man urinates into it (which would become incredibly diluted anyway) and suddenly the water is bad? This makes no sense whatsoever.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:23 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
This belongs in the Portland forum. It is neither political nor controversial on a national level. It's just some random sh*t that happened in Portland.
No, it's an indication of America turning into a bunch of people scared of their own shadow and afraid of everything under the sun.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:33 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Lets see, guy probably peed 1 pint into almost 64,000,000 Pints of water, that's bad. But it's ok to drink and cook with 64,000,000 Pints of water that contains dead animals and who knows what else????

This logic is beyond me.
Beyond me too, I'd prefer to purify the whole lot before going to homes (pigeons are nasty little things)...but people need to realize that in most municipalities water is treated more then here. You can't compare a place where water is actually treated to where it is not equally, that's common sense.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:36 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,299,079 times
Quote:
No, it's an indication of America turning into a bunch of people scared of their own shadow and afraid of everything under the sun.
What an odd, random thing to say. Of all the problems in this country, one thing I have NOT noticed is people being any more afraid than they ever were. Perhaps you're projecting something internal? I don't know, that's my best guess.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:42 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,884,646 times
All things considered, it may have been a foolish decision. However, there is definitely an ick factor to drinking water that has been peed in by a drunken oaf. I don't understand why water is not treated and filtered before being sent to homes. I guess I was unaware of this practice. Ugh!!

I used to live in that neighborhood, just two blocks from Mt. Tabor reservoir. I am so glad I live on a farm now and drink wellwater (when we aren't living overseas that is -- and the water in Israel is a whole other matter.)

Old 06-21-2011, 11:37 PM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times
You go to a restaurant and eat food and you have no idea if the preparers washed their hands after going to the bathroom. With kids these days and so many illegals probably not. We eat something like 2 pounds of bug parts in our food every year. It was stupid and an over reaction but oh well. But they should throw the book at this doofus.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:51 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
A guy urinates in a open air public water reservoir and officials discard 7.8 million gallons of water.

The cost of the water was $28,500 and the disposal fees another $7,600.00.

Just another indication of just how wimpy and stupid Americans are becoming.

Am I wrong?
I think it was a politically motivated decision and as we all know such decisions are not always based on facts.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:00 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
You go to a restaurant and eat food and you have no idea if the preparers washed their hands after going to the bathroom. With kids these days and so many illegals probably not. We eat something like 2 pounds of bug parts in our food every year. It was stupid and an over reaction but oh well. But they should throw the book at this doofus.
This reminds me of my days working at In-N-Out Burger back in high school. We had a customer order a Double-Double. He received his order but came back shortly thereafter stating that we made a mistake and gave him a regular cheeseburger.

Based on its appearance alone one might have agreed because the second patty had 'shifted' in the wrapper and you couldn't really see it. However, when we took it from him we knew it was a Double-Double because of its weight. He then essentially directed us to prove it so we started to take it apart by hand to show him and sure enough it was a Double-Double. We then put it back together and proceeded to give it back to him but he refused it. Why? Because we touched it with our hands.

To make it we had to touch it with our hands!! Anyway, we had to make him another Double-Double.

This burger story, and the water story, is a classic example of "what you don't know won't hurt you" and "ignorance is bliss".

[if people knew every little detail of every little thing that they take for granted, then they'd be shocked]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies