Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 10:02 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I have no problem with government mandated labeling of ingredients or nutritional information on food products, but government crosses the line when they mandate what those food products must or must not contain.

As you said, labeling gives the consumer an informed choice, but when government dictates the products manufacturers can use in their food product, then government has removed all choice from the consumer as well as the manufacturer.
Geeze! Is there ANYTHING the government won't try to get their grubby paws on and RUIN for all of us??? There won't be any reason to GO to a restaurant if the government is going to dictate to chefs what ingredients they can and can't use. Food in restaurants will all begin to taste the same!

What will happen to the FOOD Network on TV? They will have to fold I guess. Who in the world would want to be a restauranteur with those kinds of restrictions? The government control virus is getting out of hand!

When are people going to put their proverbial FEET down?? Why can't we DEFUND that bill just like we should DEFUND Obamacare?
It all boils down to deciding whether we are going to sitand watch the government take away our freedom to choose and business owners freedom to choose how to run their small business or be put out of business by the onerous regulations...or are we going to DO something about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 10:04 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
If we let them get away with FORCING us to buy health insurance, does that or does that not set a PRECEDENT where they can forced us to buy anything they want?

Furthermore, if you think about it. The government positions on food and what is supposedly good for us has been totally wrong and has been based on JUNK Science.

They wanted to blame the fast food industry for obesity in this country and forced them to change from animal fats for frying to man made vegetable oils with trans fats. Now we know the Margarine and Crisco are like liquid plastic and 100 times worse for one's health.

They decided that a low fat low meat high carbohydrate diet was more healthful for us and while everyone switched over to that and found themselves eating more refined flour and starches and less meat, they found their waistlines expanding! It turns out all the extra starches and refined wheat that people were eating that quickly turned to sugar was not only making them fat but the incidences of Depression skyrocked.

Not only was this wonderful government mandate making Americans fatter than they were when they ate more animal fat and less starch, it is having a negative effect on our mental health.

Additionally, let's think about what else government has done that has shown how incompetent they are when it comes to having a clue about health. How about considering the fact that they have cut back or eliminated physical education in a lot of schools?

Think back to a time before the internet when we weren't such a fat lazy nation. What did kids do differently? Well, lots of kids walked back and forth to school that lived close enough. Some even went home for lunch. Now the government doesn't TRUST parents to even let their kids bring lunch. Kids are forced to eat the low quality genetically engineered and unsafe food the government says is "healthy" that the public school provides.

What do kids do when they get home from school? When I was that age we would all go outside and played with the neighbors. Today what do most kids do? Play with their computers?

It wasn't like back in the 60's, 70's and 80's there wasn't junk food but it turned out the junk food was better for us because there were natural animal fats used not genetically engineered vegetable fats.

Surprise, surprise. It turns out the so called high cholesterol epidemic is based on junk science too. A) The cholesterol levels are not the problem. Rather plaque build up from starches and refined wheat are the problem. B) The supposed effectiveness of the cholesterol drugs that are all the rage and a boon to the medical establishment profit wise were tampered with. We've been LIED to about not only that high cholesterol is actually not as life threatening as it is cracked up to be but the effectiveness of the drugs sold to control the levels have been hugely overblown.

Assignment: Watch the documentary "Super-size me" to see how the film tried to put the blame for the country's obesity issues on the fast food industry. Next watch "Fat Head" another documentary free on-line that is a follow-up and shows how we've been lied to.
I think you are mistaken when you blame carbohydrates. Whole grain carbo's are good for you, they provide nutrition and fiber. Meat is not good for you, it is animal fats that primarily clog up your arteries. Whole grains, fruits and vegetables would be the ideal diet. Some sources of protein could include eggs, soy, beans, nuts etc.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:13 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
My most decadent junk food today is cream o' wheat with tons of cane sugar, tons of butter, and unlimited half n' half.

When I go on one of these binges, I follow it up with massive vitamin/mineral supplements.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:16 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I have no problem with government mandated labeling of ingredients or nutritional information on food products, but government crosses the line when they mandate what those food products must or must not contain.

As you said, labeling gives the consumer an informed choice, but when government dictates the products manufacturers can use in their food product, then government has removed all choice from the consumer as well as the manufacturer.
I would say the labels tell people about 1/4 of what they need to know about the so called "nutrition" and safety of the food. What they leave out is whether any ingredients have been irradiated. They leave out whether any of the ingredients are genetically engineered. If the foods contain these ingredients (just like a tube of toothpaste has a warning about fluoride) it should contain health hazard warnings.

75% of Americans go to grocery stores and buy canned and boxed items thinking they are perfectly safe. What they don't know is the government has let them off the hook when it comes to requiring that the disclose the dangers as well. That is why buying food only from the ethical companies is crucial to your health. Sites like these help you do that. They put out a non-GMO shoppers guide so you can know which foods are actually safe versus the ones that merely taste good but could contain ingredients that could have are may already be having devastating long-term effects on your health. http://truefoodnow.org

Old 06-24-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I would say the labels tell people about 1/4 of what they need to know about the so called "nutrition" and safety of the food. What they leave out is whether any ingredients have been irradiated. They leave out whether any of the ingredients are genetically engineered. If the foods contain these ingredients (just like a tube of toothpaste has a warning about fluoride) it should contain health hazard warnings.

75% of Americans go to grocery stores and buy canned and boxed items thinking they are perfectly safe. What they don't know is the government has let them off the hook when it comes to requiring that the disclose the dangers as well. That is why buying food only from the ethical companies is crucial to your health. Sites like these help you do that. They put out a non-GMO shoppers guide so you can know which foods are actually safe versus the ones that merely taste good but could contain ingredients that could have are may already be having devastating long-term effects on your health. http://truefoodnow.org

If I can wean myself off wine and coffee all day, I'm going to try and find some safe popcorn and salmon.

I don't trust anything out of the ocean anymore, though.

And, fish farms - forget it!

Old 06-24-2011, 10:36 AM

530 posts, read 1,163,100 times
I am sorry, but increasingly I feel like the main "right" being trampled on when it comes to food is the "right" of parents like me to have their children eat a healthy diet. I feel like I am in a battle with teachers, administrators, coaches, activity leaders, grocery stores clerks and other parents to stop CONSTANTLY giving my kids junk food. One of my kids came home from soccer practice with a handful of candy. At the games, parents hand my child cheetos and cake. I had one teacher give one of my kids candy almost every day at school for good behavior. At scouts, I was told not to bring snacks for one event since one mom graciously was providing snacks for all the kids and parent volunteers. I nearly gasped when I saw what she brought. There was not one item with any health value. It was all potato chips, cake and cookies. My husband and I have tried to battle this by providing stickers and other food options, but it is pervasive. In preschool, my youngest was offered sweets nearly every week by some moms who baked items to represent the letter of the week. I really don't think it ever occurred to them that they could bring in something healthy instead for the letter--it was always cookies for c, doughnuts for d etc. The school's inspection report even mentioned that there was too much junk food, but it did not stop. At an end of school party, some parents provided the kids cotton candy, followed by ice cream sundaes and cookies. I got some looks when I tried to limit some kids to one cotton candy before the rest of the treats. I do allow my children to have treats, but I don't want them constantly eating junk, and they certainly don't need multiple servings of cake, cookies etc. I'm tired of being bombarded with junk, and dealing with people who get upset when I tell them I don't want my kids to eat something or that I would like to see some healthy options. I would be happy if the schools and youth organizations would make more rules because I honestly think many parents are clueless when it comes to health and our society and our health care system is increasingly being burdened by their poor choices.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellar View Post
I am sorry, but increasingly I feel like the main "right" being trampled on when it comes to food is the "right" of parents like me to have their children eat a healthy diet. I feel like I am in a battle with teachers, administrators, coaches, activity leaders, grocery stores clerks and other parents to stop CONSTANTLY giving my kids junk food. One of my kids came home from soccer practice with a handful of candy. At the games, parents hand my child cheetos and cake. I had one teacher give one of my kids candy almost every day at school for good behavior. At scouts, I was told not to bring snacks for one event since one mom graciously was providing snacks for all the kids and parent volunteers. I nearly gasped when I saw what she brought. There was not one item with any health value. It was all potato chips, cake and cookies. My husband and I have tried to battle this by providing stickers and other food options, but it is pervasive. In preschool, my youngest was offered sweets nearly every week by some moms who baked items to represent the letter of the week. I really don't think it ever occurred to them that they could bring in something healthy instead for the letter--it was always cookies for c, doughnuts for d etc. The school's inspection report even mentioned that there was too much junk food, but it did not stop. At an end of school party, some parents provided the kids cotton candy, followed by ice cream sundaes and cookies. I got some looks when I tried to limit some kids to one cotton candy before the rest of the treats. I do allow my children to have treats, but I don't want them constantly eating junk, and they certainly don't need multiple servings of cake, cookies etc. I'm tired of being bombarded with junk, and dealing with people who get upset when I tell them I don't want my kids to eat something or that I would like to see some healthy options. I would be happy if the schools and youth organizations would make more rules because I honestly think many parents are clueless when it comes to health and our society and our health care system is increasingly being burdened by their poor choices.
You need to burn all your Dr. Seuss books, and go back to Grimms.

The Government only provides poisoned apples.

"Tatar observes that while the stepmother gives the children as little to eat as possible, the witch appears to be the soul of generosity with foodstuffs, "[y]et she represents an intensification of the maternal evil at home", for she only feeds the children in order to fatten them up for her next meal."

Hansel and Gretel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-24-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellar View Post
great post. It's ridicuous to have to make this suggestion, but what if you told them your child is diabetic (they will be if they keep eating that crap). That you prefer they eat the celery and peanut butter, or apples and cream cheese, or whatever you contribute. Iced tea, instead of soda pop. Do they still have those fruit rollups, like the apricot rolls?
I wonder how 7th Day Adventists handle situations like this. They seem to maintain a pretty healthy diet.
In the old days, we were taught that our body was our temple, and gluttony was a sin.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:31 AM

check out this story I just got in an email. OMG

Hermaphrodite goats modified with human genes to be milked in New Zealand

Hermaphrodite goats modified with human genes to be milked in New Zealand | Food Freedom

Old 06-24-2011, 11:44 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Geeze! Is there ANYTHING the government won't try to get their grubby paws on and RUIN for all of us??? There won't be any reason to GO to a restaurant if the government is going to dictate to chefs what ingredients they can and can't use. Food in restaurants will all begin to taste the same!

What will happen to the FOOD Network on TV? They will have to fold I guess. Who in the world would want to be a restauranteur with those kinds of restrictions? The government control virus is getting out of hand!

When are people going to put their proverbial FEET down?? Why can't we DEFUND that bill just like we should DEFUND Obamacare?
It all boils down to deciding whether we are going to sitand watch the government take away our freedom to choose and business owners freedom to choose how to run their small business or be put out of business by the onerous regulations...or are we going to DO something about it?
This happens every time Democrats have control of Congress. You would think that eventually the people would learn from their mistakes, instead of continually repeating them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies