Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 10:47 AM

589 posts, read 377,076 times

Advertisements

The story goes that Milton Friedman was once taken to see a massive government project somewhere in Asia. Thousands of workers using shovels were building a canal. Friedman was puzzled. Why weren't there any excavators or any mechanized earth-moving equipment? A government official explained that using shovels created more jobs. Friedman's response: "Then why not use spoons instead of shovels?"
That story came to mind last week when President Obama linked technology to job losses. "There are some structural issues with our economy where a lot of businesses have learned to become much more efficient with a lot fewer workers," he said. "You see it when you go to a bank and you use an ATM, you don't go to a bank teller, or you go to the airport and you're using a kiosk instead of checking in at the gate."

Russell Roberts: Obama vs. ATMs—Why Technology Doesn't Destroy Jobs - WSJ.com

yes Mr Obama, technology is good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 10:58 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,621,835 times
In the 11th paragraph of the article, Roberts writes, "Somehow, new jobs get created." All of a sudden, no statistics, no percentages--just a general, unsupported comment implying that everything is OK. It doesn't matter how many people are thrown out of work because of technology, because "somehow," there will be jobs for them. Not a peep about whether these new jobs will pay enough to permit anyone to enjoy the wonderfully higher standard of living all this replacement by machines has engendered, by the way.

Make your observations to someone who's lost a job because they've been replaced by a machine, then come back and tell me that everything is just peachy on the job front.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:03 AM

589 posts, read 377,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
In the 11th paragraph of the article, Roberts writes, "Somehow, new jobs get created." All of a sudden, no statistics, no percentages--just a general, unsupported comment implying that everything is OK. It doesn't matter how many people are thrown out of work because of technology, because "somehow," there will be jobs for them. Not a peep about whether these new jobs will pay enough to permit anyone to enjoy the wonderfully higher standard of living all this replacement by machines has engendered, by the way.

Make your observations to someone who's lost a job because they've been replaced by a machine, then come back and tell me that everything is just peachy on the job front.
These machines are build by someone, and to build it R&D investments have been necessary = more engineers..etc...

Old 06-22-2011, 11:05 AM

1,495 posts, read 2,302,269 times
Somehow it's a gaffe when he says something that everyone knows? Yes, technology is good, but yes, jobs are lost in the process, at least temporarily. Eliminating "jobs" in the sense of projects is actually the whole point!

Old 06-22-2011, 12:34 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,842,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post

They say it better than me. I swear this was my idea, though. Or maybe I just read it years ago. Yeah, I think I read it years ago.

Back at the turn of the 20th century, the automobile was a newfangled contraption. But even so, it was apparent almost immediately that it was also a revolutionary item that was here to stay. That is one reason why, if you Google the term "buggy whip manufacturer," you end up with zilch.

Why did all of the buggy whip makers go out of business? Because they thought they were in the business of making buggy whips.

Wrong.

Sure, when the automobile supplanted the horse-drawn buggy, the need for buggy whips evaporated, but it wasn't the car that killed the buggy whip maker, it was the buggy whip maker's thinking that did it.

Literary essayist George Steiner once put it this way: Had a buggy whip manufacturer in 1910 rethought things and concluded that rather than being in the buggy whip business he was instead in the business of creating "transportation starting devices," he just might have been able to survive the challenge of the new economy and make the transition into a new era.

You gotta go with the times, my friends. Unlike our fallen buggy whip business brethren, you must avoid what is known as "marketing myopia."
Ask an Expert: Don't fall into the buggy-whip mentality - USATODAY.com

Old 06-22-2011, 12:46 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,904,973 times
I have a man-crush on Milton Friedman.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:46 PM

45,246 posts, read 26,482,257 times
Unions are pretty good at holding back technological advancements in the work place.Now if we can only figure out how to get them installed everywhere

Ain't progressivism grand?!

Old 06-22-2011, 12:56 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,842,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Unions are pretty good at holding back technological advancements in the work place.Now if we can only figure out how to get them installed everywhere

Ain't progressivism grand?!
Tell you a true story. I worked with a fella @ Caterpillar in Georgia, he was a man they sent to "get things done" from out West. He told me he worked in a union factory once, and there was a kind of conveying track system that rotated pieces of equipment around the plant. Sometimes this system would get stuck. In this case, a man would grab a long stick and whack the track/part and make the belt begin to move again. Most of the plant depended on that track moving.

If the men were on break and the track got stuck, he couldn't tell them to whack it. That was against the rules. The men wouldn't move. You couldn't make them move. If they moved, they would face the wrath of the union, for one thing. If they didn't move, it screwed the people they were working for.

The supervisor I was working with held the unions in a low regard.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:57 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,816,583 times
Apparently when it comes to technological progress President Obama is not that progressive.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:02 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,297,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Apparently when it comes to technological progress President Obama is not that progressive.
^ this

You'll have three castes under an Obama inspired utopia. The ditch diggers, the R&D folks, and the overeducated fru-fru intellectuals who command them both. Your caste will depend on whether you're labeled an alpha, beta, gamma, etc.

Got Brave New World?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies