Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support reparations?
Yes 27 9.57%
No 255 90.43%
Voters: 282. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 06:43 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,685,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
I'm white and I started with no connections. The only connections I have, I got them by going into business and working hard. Life ain't fair for anybody.
Absolutely correct... some aspects of life however are more fair for some than others. Take the Bush family for example... would you agree that GWB was a successful politician because his father had already made connections for him in the white house? Could GWB have become president WITHOUT his father having already been president 8 years earlier or the governor of Texas WITHOUT having family friends from the local oil business backing him? Because of blacks' history as second class citizens, these kind of connections are literally non-existent for the most part outside of black neighborhoods themselves, which often receive inferior funding and service from the government and its agencies. Your story is not uncommon for whites but GWB's story is FAR more common for whites than for blacks or minorities in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 06:44 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,948,111 times

YouTube - ‪ChappelleShow Reparations‬‏

On a side note.
If we received reparations, what would it fix, what would we do with the money??

How many of us would circulate it in our communities, support one another's business. How many would invest it or go to college, and even if we did these things would it really make up for the treatment we have historically received in this country. No amount of money could make things right and to accept it would be insulting to me.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:48 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,845,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Absolutely correct... some aspects of life however are more fair for some than others. Take the Bush family for example... would you agree that GWB was a successful politician because his father had already made connections for him in the white house? Could GWB have become president WITHOUT his father having already been president 8 years earlier or the governor of Texas WITHOUT having family friends from the local oil business backing him? Because of blacks' history as second class citizens, these kind of connections are literally non-existent for the most part outside of black neighborhoods themselves, which often receive inferior funding and service from the government and its agencies. Your story is not uncommon for whites but GWB's story is FAR more common for whites than for blacks or minorities in general.
Hell no, GWB only got where he did because of his connections. You're right, but lack of connections is not inherently linked to race, that's just how things have played out in America. It will never be fair for the millions of people (white and black) who have no connections. The only solution is one that operates on the level of the individual.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:23 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,830,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
There is always an excuse for poor performance, right?
You didn't respond to the post. You simply added nothing to the discussion. If you like to debate, please address the points made.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
I'm white and I started with no connections. The only connections I have, I got them by going into business and working hard. Life ain't fair for anybody.
You are only one person. However, the majority of Whites (yes even immigrants) have benefited by Black oppression. Not allowing competition allowed those people that are incompetent (even without connections) to have a secure job.

Your forefathers did not face as much competition, as did mine. So what occurred was acquired wealth throughout time.

Life may not be fair for anyone, but some people have it MUCH less fair.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
One poster has a good idea, give the descendants of slaves a $1,000.00 tax credit..

Coupled with another post about the descendants of slaves compensating all families who lost a family member fighting for the slaves freedom. let's say $1,000.00 per loss of life.

Done deal....

Now we can forget about this issue permanently
So you agreed with the proposition. I didn't apologize btw...

Old 06-22-2011, 07:29 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,801,771 times

Old 06-22-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Hell no, GWB only got where he did because of his connections. You're right, but lack of connections is not inherently linked to race, that's just how things have played out in America. It will never be fair for the millions of people (white and black) who have no connections. The only solution is one that operates on the level of the individual.
It's not really how things "played" out, things were also made that way as well.

We don't live in a vacuum, thus life is not only on an individual level...it's also at a societal level.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:32 PM

20,948 posts, read 18,982,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
You are only one person. However, the majority of Whites (yes even immigrants) have benefited by Black oppression. Not allowing competition allowed those people that are incompetent (even without connections) to have a secure job.

Your forefathers did not face as much competition, as did mine. So what occurred was acquired wealth throughout time.

Life may not be fair for anyone, but some people have it MUCH less fair.
Yea, right!

When I graduated from high school, I took the post office test.

I scored a 92 on one and an 88 on the other.

Three years later, I was called for an interview.

We were in a room with 50 people.

Me, one white woman and 48 black men and women.

Needless to say, neither i nor the white woman were chosen.

Bets thing that never happened to me!

Old 06-22-2011, 07:37 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,506,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
I'm sure you won't be surprised when I say I have no idea what you're talking about.
I'm not surprised , and what I'm saying is that hard work doesn't
make folks here in America rich , otherwise ditch diggers would be
Billionaires....." Smart Work " is the only thing that's going to make
a person rich here in America....That and being in the right place at
the right time " & " knowing the right people and making the right
connections.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies