Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support reparations?
Yes 27 9.57%
No 255 90.43%
Voters: 282. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 07:38 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,041,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nice story....and i'd tell you that your story is special, except 300 million other Americans have the EXACT same story.

But since you want to feel special, i won't rain on your parade.

Moving upward? Yea. You're a working stiff just like everyone else on this board. No different from your ancestors.

Besides, my great grandfather fought in WW1, and my grandfather fought in WW2. My dad went to college, unlike yours...so did my mom. I went to college, and so did my son. So sorry, i don't find your story to be so admirable.

And yea....there was a social safety net back in the old days. It was called "being white." Not the best safety net of course, but it was sure better than the net my grandparents and greatgrandparents had.

Anyway...as you were.
Why do you always say that 300 million other Americans have similar stories to mine?

If they did, there would be nobody on welfare, unemployment, food stamps, etc.

My point is that many people have had hard times, not just blacks. The others, however, didn't stop evolving socially. The black community seems to have a built in excuse.

Nobody gave white people a break just for being white.

It sounds as if you had a pretty good start.

Why are you so bitter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 07:38 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,859,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
You are only one person. However, the majority of Whites (yes even immigrants) have benefited by Black oppression. Not allowing competition allowed those people that are incompetent (even without connections) to have a secure job.

Your forefathers did not face as much competition, as did mine. So what occurred was acquired wealth throughout time.

Life may not be fair for anyone, but some people have it MUCH less fair.
Not necessarily. There was no acquired wealth in my father's family for example. Now he is where he is. He grew up worse off than anybody of any color that I know, and by no means do I know rich people.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:40 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,859,262 times
Quote:
It's not really how things "played" out, things were also made that way as well.

We don't live in a vacuum, thus life is not only on an individual level...it's also at a societal level.
What I mean is that that's how things unfolded. A part of life is at a societal level, but here in America the individual has much more power over himself than does his community.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
I voted no, but this line of logic is disgusting.
Today it is. Back then it wasn't.

What I find amusing is how the black community seem to favor islam.

Islam nations STILL have slavery.

We ended it, with the blood of 600 thousand mostly white American men.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
4 decades is not a lot of time. Let's also remember that racism still exists.

Did you know that a Black person with the same qualifications as a White person working at the same job, will on average make less than his White counterpart?

Did you know that unemployment for Blacks with a bachelor's degree is double that of unemployment for Whites with bachelor's degree?

Did you know that Blacks with a Master's degree make less on average than their White counterparts?

Did you know that Blacks with the same financial standing as Whites were offered subprime mortgages at a higher rate?

Did you know that Blacks that are convicted of the same crime as a White person are more likely to have a harsher punishment?

Did you know that Black students are more likely to in worse trouble for doing the same thing as their White counterparts in elementary school?

Did you know that you're less likely to be interviewed for a job with a Black sounding name than a White sounding name...with the same qualifications?

Did you know that a Black person is more likely to be pulled over than a White person?

Did you know that a Black person has a higher risk of police violence than a White person for the same crime?

Did you know that Blacks have a higher foreclosure rate per capita?

It will take a lot longer than four decades to reverse slavery and segregation, especially at how we approach the subject.

However, the good news is that those that benefited by the large expansion of the middle class in the 1960s-1970s and again in the 1990s are doing okay. Though they may make less and have a higher unemployment rate, those that made it past that strata no longer deal with the racism that exists. Those in the top 10% of earners essentially are set. What is thus occurring is a wealth gap within the Black community...that part is not really good news.

Money is only part of the answer. Money enables power allows for greater organization and mobilization. Without money, the means to change things does not exist. However good policies are the other component.
Nah.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Okay, so let's be happy the Blacks with a college degree make LESS than Whites with the same credentials?

Should we jump for joy that people with a "Black" sounding name don't get an interview at the same rates as people with a "White" sounding name?

What about being thankful that Black unemployment rates with those that have a bachelor's degree or better are the same as Whites with a high school diploma?

Right...it's all about victim mentality.

Noticed I VOTED NO!!! I think that rectifying the wrongs that continue is not the same as playing the victim. It's living in reality and trying to make a better future.
Don't *********r kids by giving them black sounding names.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:51 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,743,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Yea, right!

When I graduated from high school, I took the post office test.

I scored a 92 on one and an 88 on the other.

Three years later, I was called for an interview.

We were in a room with 50 people.

Me, one white woman and 48 black men and women.

Needless to say, neither i nor the white woman were chosen.

Bets thing that never happened to me!

Perhaps all 48 of the other black applicants were more qualified than you? There's a thought

Old 06-22-2011, 07:52 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,743,454 times
Quote:
Don't *********r kids by giving them black sounding names.

^Worst post I've read all day.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:06 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,319,017 times
Let's give reparations to everyone. Let's start with folks whose names begin with "Y."

All those years of being at the end of the alphabet. All that bordedom as the little Alphas and Andersons and Abracadabras got to go to lunch, while we waited in shame and discomfort. It was like taking a United flight to Seoul and having them run out of pasta primavera just before they got to your row in the back of the plane, and getting stuck with sweet-and-sour collie or something.

Personally, I'll take half a million bucks and a new Triumph Bonneville America. I promise that I will leave on the stock pipes and not lane-share too much.

How about it, America? Doesn't Yeledaf deserve something for all those years of carrying that evil load of whiteness, maleness, and straightness?

Old 06-22-2011, 08:10 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,889,940 times
Quote:
Today it is. Back then it wasn't.

What I find amusing is how the black community seem to favor islam.

Islam nations STILL have slavery.

We ended it, with the blood of 600 thousand mostly white American men.
...ok, I know you're not saying the ENTIRE black community seems to favor islam. I know ten times more Christian blacks than NOI blacks.

We don't ALL think the same, ya know....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies