Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support reparations?
Yes 27 9.57%
No 255 90.43%
Voters: 282. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 03:46 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,744,821 times

Advertisements

As far as slavery reparations go, no. However, I'd love to see reparations for the families of people who've been unjustly executed or assaulted by the police without punishment, and preferably via the bank accounts of said police officers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 03:48 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
And psst, the black poverty rate has been cut in half since the 1950's... don't let the facts tell you how ignorant your beliefs are though.
You're right, it's been cut in half because of the welfare payments

Old 06-22-2011, 03:51 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,744,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
You're right, it's been cut in half because of the welfare payments

... you actually believe that welfare recipients are wealthy?

Old 06-22-2011, 04:31 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Would bi-racial people pay half as much, or get half as much?

Sort of a break even, no?

Old 06-22-2011, 04:34 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Sure, former slave owners should pay reparations to former slaves.
Aha, a solution, the Slave states should pay as part of their Civil War Anniversary

Old 06-22-2011, 04:40 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
But my ancestors are not asking/pushing for reparations either..

Nor were their descendants handed everything on a silver platter, laws and regulations were not adjusted because they could not pass exams...

All the generations after my ancestors worked hard to establish themselves and didn't fall back on or use the excuse of their ethnicity and didn't breed themselves into poverty..

My ancestors didn't wear their ethnicity as a chip on their shoulder.....

They took pride in their "hood" and didn't take pride in how they could rip off government handouts...

They were embarrassed to ask for outside of the family assistance or welfare..

They didn't use their ethnicity as an excuse when things didn't go their way..
Yea, sure buddy. I believe you.

(not really)

Old 06-22-2011, 04:47 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I am thrilled that my ancestors left Russia, Poland, Germany, Ireland, etc. and came to America.

My great-great-grandparents entered a late 19th and early 20th century America that was not entirely anxious to see them.

My great grandparents became shop owners and truck drivers. Women did not work back then, for the most part.

My grandparents were truck drivers and secretaries.

My father was a business owner. My mother a stay at home mom.

My ancestors were not big believers in education, we are the first generation of high school graduates and our children are the 1st generation to have college degrees.

We tend to keep moving upward.

The black community, not so much.

I'm certainly glad that there was no "social safety net" when my ancestors arrived.

Struggle makes people better.
Nice story....and i'd tell you that your story is special, except 300 million other Americans have the EXACT same story.

But since you want to feel special, i won't rain on your parade.

Moving upward? Yea. You're a working stiff just like everyone else on this board. No different from your ancestors.

Besides, my great grandfather fought in WW1, and my grandfather fought in WW2. My dad went to college, unlike yours...so did my mom. I went to college, and so did my son. So sorry, i don't find your story to be so admirable.

And yea....there was a social safety net back in the old days. It was called "being white." Not the best safety net of course, but it was sure better than the net my grandparents and greatgrandparents had.

Anyway...as you were.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:04 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
... you actually believe that welfare recipients are wealthy?

-<snip>-

American welfare recipients are rich compared to the hundreds of millions of people in the world who get by on less than $100.00 per year.

American welfare is not supposed to cover the cost of cars, a crack fix/coke hit/joint every day and an HD-TV and PS3/XBOX 360/Wii in every home.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:10 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
I believe that Congress needs to address the issue before the courts do. Even if it is only a one-shot tax credit of $1000, it can be put to rest. Toughest part: determining who is actually descended from slaves.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:10 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Here we are 150 years after the days of slavery. Black Americans are still living substandard lives. Dennis Kucinich supported reparations for black Americans.

For those who don't know what reparations are, here is the Webster Dictionary definition:

reparations
1. The making of amends for a wrong one has done, by paying money to or otherwise helping those who have been wronged.

So, Kucinich believes that federal tax dollars should be distributed to black Americans, to relieve them of the disadvantaged position that they continue to live in today, compared to the averae American.

Do you support reparations?

As long as they are willing to pay for the lives of my relatives lost in securing their freedom. I would say that in the balance, they owe me more than I owe them. Without my ancestors, and the rest of the Union Army, they would still be slaves. I would offer that those same ancestors, with the knowledge that the relatives of former slaves would be seeking "reparations" from the US, would fight equally as hard to put them back into slavery. The mere suggestion of reparations is an abomination and an insult to every soldier who died for a noble cause. "Reparations" is a perversion of that cause and is simply an effort to secure a massive "benefit" which is undeserved and not earned.

Pay up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies