Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 11:24 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
How so? Other than repeating the "Ron Paul is nuts" line that you've heard, how is he insane? What policies make him insane?

Bring the troops home, insane?
Stop managing an empire, insane?
Stop the useless war on drugs, that adds to the problems of drug use. Insane?
Institute competition in the school system, insane?
Institute competition in the monetary system, insane?
Get the Feds out of peoples personal business, insane?
Stop the out of control spending, insane?
Freedom, insane?

Did you know Ron Paul has NEVER voted to spend a dime of medicare or medicaid? How many other politicians have done that?

Seems to me that the people who call him insane are attached to the welfare state, and can't imagine life without it.
Property rights trumping human rights on the issue of public accomodations is insane, if he really is NOT a racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 11:27 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,864,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Property rights trumping human rights on the issue of public accomodations is insane, if he really is NOT a racist.
What 'human right' are you referring to???

Old 06-23-2011, 11:30 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,474,594 times
Ron Paul is a perfectly plausible candidate, especially compared to his competition. Some of his neo-Confederate type friends scare me a little, but aside from perhaps Gary Johnson I don't see a better choice for the GOP.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:35 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,579,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
What 'human right' are you referring to???
Katiana is referring to a statement RP made about the Civil Rights Act. He said he didn't like it because it was the government telling private business owners what to do with their property. He also goes on to talk about how he would have OPPOSED the Jim Crow laws. Yes the very laws created by our government that promoted racism. All these people who say RP is racist conveniently leave this little bit of info out. If he was racist he would favor the Jim Crow laws, wouldn't he?

Today, if you opened a store that said "Whites Only" you would be out of business in a minute, because I would open a store down the streets that would welcome all.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:37 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,579,908 times
Also, if Ron Paul is a racist, then why would his policies do nothing but help the minority community? For instance, he opposes the drug war. Yes, the very same drug war that wreaks havoc on the black and hispanic communities. Why does he not oppose gay marriage? Wouldn't a racist oppose gay marriage? A large portion of the lower income community also fights our wars, which RP strongly opposes.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:38 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,864,597 times
Quote:
Katiana is referring to a statement RP made about the Civil Rights Act. He said he didn't like it because it was the government telling private business owners what to do with their property. He also goes on to talk about how he would have OPPOSED the Jim Crow laws. Yes the very laws created by our government that promoted racism. All these people who say RP is racist conveniently leave this little bit of info out. If he was racist he would favor the Jim Crow laws, wouldn't he?

Today, if you opened a store that said "Whites Only" you would be out of business in a minute, because I would open a store down the streets that would welcome all.
I know what she was referring to,I am just wondering what 'human right' would be violated???

The basic human right to eat at any restaurant?

Old 06-23-2011, 11:52 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,639,405 times
Quote:
I predict you'd do quite well, actually. There is definitely a niche market for whites-only goods and services. A store where I don't have to worry that blacks have tried on the shoes before me? Hot dog! Let's party like it's 1954!

Old 06-23-2011, 12:06 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,209,377 times
Quote:
Agreed, but you have to factor in political corruption. Can't speak for RP, but I would assume this is probably his stance. Anything controlled by the government is subject to corruption, mismanagement, and profiteering.

Of course but it would be open on "ours" as opposed to a private unaccountable bank. As Bill Still says "The main regulator for controlling the QUANTITY of U.S. Notes issued, would be a National Monetary Authority (NMA) made up of one elected representative from each of the several States, serving a 2-year term only, limited to two terms. That way, Congress would set a target inflation rate, and the NMA would be responsible for hitting that target by using appropriate tools to control the QUANTITY of U.S. Notes issued. Of course, a mandatory feature of this system would be an end of fractional reserve lending by commercial banks, i.e. a full-reserve banking system."

At least we would not have debt.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I predict you'd do quite well, actually. There is definitely a niche market for whites-only goods and services. A store where I don't have to worry that blacks have tried on the shoes before me? Hot dog! Let's party like it's 1954!
Exactly! I grew up in Pennsylvania, which didn't have "whites only" businesses. Still, there were certain businesses where it was "known" they didn't serve blacks. This was in the 50s/60s. Didn't hurt these businesses a bit, and my hometown was ~10% black.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:31 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,333,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
He seems close on the money issue but so far away. Bill Still reached out to Paul to work out a realistic monetary system but Ron Paul would have none of it. He is too much of a gold bug.
Bill Still is advocating that the government print money directly, rather than borrow newly printed money from a central bank. However, the money still isn't backed by anything, so you're just changing who's printing the figurative pieces of paper.

What's worse, Bill's plan would involve handing the keys to the printing press over to politicians, who have a strong incentive to print money for political purposes (at least the Fed is only in it to get rich - not to get reelected). I'd be afraid that elected officials would blow up the currency if given control of its printing.

My thought is that the market should decide the best currency. I'd bet that if people were left to their own devices, they would pick gold, silver, or some other metal to trade in (or several). Precious metals are used for more than merely trading (hence have inherent value), but can hold a large amount of wealth in a small volume (a brick of gold could buy you a really nice house).

The only reason that people use dollars is because they are penalized for using other mediums of trade with legal tender laws and capital gains taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies