Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 09:49 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Wow,that was only 50-60 YEARS AGO!!!!

I am amazed how naive some posters can be that the ONLY thing stopping some white people from openly discriminating against black people is a law.
Oz, if you don't think there are plenty of white people who would openly discriminate against blacks if it weren't against the law to do so, you are the one who is naive. I'm not saying that all white people are racist. As a white person, I know they're not. In fact, most conservative southern whites (who are stereotypically the most racist) aren't racist. However, there are definitely enough racists to support racist businesses and organizations. I suppose you'd find black owned stores that discriminate against whites in certain areas too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 10:31 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You know, I have had many examples I use twisted around to suit someone's point, but this is ridiculous! You may think you were being very clever, but trust me, you weren't.
Your perception is off, yet again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I was a child then. There was such a thing as the "Civil Rights Movement" at that time, with people protesting in the north and south. Perhaps you saw something about it on youtube. You sure as heck wouldn't have seen it on FOX.
Quit making excuses. Don't frequent the business. Support the competitors. Show some backbone. YOUR answer is to allow the same government to manipulate your life.
The same government that discriminated in the past AND is discriminating today. You probably haven't heard of the discrimination against gays in the military since you're uninformed and think government is taking really really good care of us. But YOU want them to handle things. Funny how some people support a governments use of force on certain segments of society as long as they are on the side of government. How about being on the side of freedom and liberty for a change?

Speaking of Fox watch Judge Napolitano on Fox Business News. Watch and learn something about the Constitution as well as the difference between the role of government and the role of society.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-24-2011 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: off topic/rude

Old 06-24-2011, 10:44 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Your perception is off, yet again.

Quit making excuses. Don't frequent the business. Support the competitors. Show some backbone. YOUR answer is to allow the same government to manipulate your life.
The same government that discriminated in the past AND is discriminating today. You probably haven't heard of the discrimination against gays in the military since you're uninformed and think government is taking really really good care of us. But YOU want them to handle things. Funny how some people support a governments use of force on certain segments of society as long as they are on the side of government. How about being on the side of freedom and liberty for a change?

Speaking of Fox watch Judge Napolitano on Fox Business News. Watch and learn something about the Constitution as well as the difference between the role of government and the role of society. I hope you learn something and quit using force on others to get your agenda through.
Sounds like all you are saying is give Peace a chance?

Old 06-24-2011, 10:44 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Oz, if you don't think there are plenty of white people who would openly discriminate against blacks if it weren't against the law to do so, you are the one who is naive. I'm not saying that all white people are racist. As a white person, I know they're not. In fact, most conservative southern whites (who are stereotypically the most racist) aren't racist. However, there are definitely enough racists to support racist businesses and organizations.
Prove any significant business would survive once they are exposed. Otherwise you're blowing smoke.
Especially in this day and age when someone can open up next to them, serve everyone, and drive them out of business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I suppose you'd find black owned stores that discriminate against whites in certain areas too.
LOL, You suppose??????

Old 06-24-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Which would help get him elected.

Moreover, I don't want him to move to the middle for THAT reason. I want to see that he is more flexible and not just someone that will make decisions based on ideology, but more likely to consider the present facts and circumstances. It would help convince me that he had common sense and was not some kind if ideologue. I've had enough of cement-headed ideologues, be they Right or Left.
I really don't think he will get elected, I am just hoping he is able to change the debate about our system.

The difference is his ideology is to give others the freedom to make decisions for their own life, the ideology of every other party is to use force on others. There is a big difference, freedom is an ideology that blossoms, force doesn't.

Quote:
I think that is fine as a general principle, but there are times and circumstances which require direct intervention to avoid disaster.
What type of circumstance are you describing?

Quote:
5 is one thing, it's the single-issue ideological voters that scare me.
Agreed.

Quote:
How would that be accomplished?
Changing our system. 1. Debt free currency. 2. Single tax on privilege 3. Add liability back to corporations and individuals. 4. Removing laws against victim-less actions and have Police go back to being Peace Officers, not Law ENFORCEMENT officers.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:01 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
How so? Other than repeating the "Ron Paul is nuts" line that you've heard, how is he insane? What policies make him insane?

Bring the troops home, insane?
Stop managing an empire, insane?
Stop the useless war on drugs, that adds to the problems of drug use. Insane?
Institute competition in the school system, insane?
Institute competition in the monetary system, insane?
Get the Feds out of peoples personal business, insane?
Stop the out of control spending, insane?
Freedom, insane?

Did you know Ron Paul has NEVER voted to spend a dime of medicare or medicaid? How many other politicians have done that?

Seems to me that the people who call him insane are attached to the welfare state, and can't imagine life without it.

It makes too much sense, that's why! I absolutely agree with you, but too many in this country are brainwashed by the media, and buy into everything hook line and sinker.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:24 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,582,247 times
RON PAUL IS NOT AN ISOLATIONIST!!!!!!! Stop saying that if you don't know what the term means. He supports trading with others, conversing with others, etc. Isolationism isn't that. An isolationist doesn't trade, talk, etc with other countries. He is a non-interventionist. Lets be honest, our military intervention throughout the world has brought nothing but problems, for everybody.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:27 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Ron Paul is kind of insane, so good choice to not agree with him on everything.
Just once I'd like to hear exactly WHY liberals think Ron Paul is radical and "insane," -- and I don't mean because the liberal media TELLS us this, to ensure the continued power of the ultra-rich who own them (and our politicians). It's so easy to just say "he's crazy," and avoids having to say that you actually support the policies of our government that have created economic crisis (Free Trade, wars, Big Business but not smaller ones, continuing consolidation of wealth).

Ron Paul is the ONLY politician who opposes continuing government EXACTLY as it now exists: spending and borrowing to the point of national bankruptcy and exploding interest payments on the $14.3 trillion dollar debt, Free Trade (that is totally unFAIR to us) that continues to decimate the U.S. job market and manufacturing sector, endless foreign wars and paying to "police the world" so other nations can have economic prosperity, small business being destroyed so Big Business can consolidate all the wealth, etc., etc.

The definition of insanity is to continue to do the same thing, but expect different results. Our nation is a shadow of its former greatness, thanks to what we've been doing, and declining fast.

Therefore, by definition, NOT choosing to support Ron Paul is insane--unless you really think American decline and loss of hope for the younger generations is a GOOD thing.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:07 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post

What type of circumstance are you describing?
The first hypothetical that comes to mind is a major natural disaster. Governments DO have their uses...

Old 06-24-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
The first hypothetical that comes to mind is a major natural disaster. Governments DO have their uses...
Of course, that is what state and local governments are used for. I don't think the role of the Federal Government is to rebuild a home on the beach that has been destroyed by a hurricane, that is what insurance is for if they offer it, or just don't build on the beach if you can't afford to rebuild.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies