U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-23-2011, 05:50 AM
 
9,241 posts, read 8,191,782 times
Reputation: 2221

Advertisements

Fareed Zakaria: Dump the Constitution

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-23-2011, 05:59 AM
 
Location: Norman, OK
3,479 posts, read 6,863,761 times
Reputation: 1198
I heard nothing in the video clip about "doing away with the Constitution." I heard that he advocates amending the Constitution for some instances (exactly what is not detailed in the clip) and also advocates reforming the tax code (which is actually a great thing).

Zakaria also claims there are "antiquated" elements of the Constitution. I think this is true, especially the Electoral College. I have yet to hear a viable, legitimate reason why we can vote for every other office in government by popular vote but for the Presidency.

In the clip he also advocates for us to look to other nations and pick out good and bad things and adjust those to our system of government. I don't necessarily find this to be a bad idea - in fact, this is what the Founding Fathers did. They looked around at the systems of government and chose the goods and the bads.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 06:00 AM
 
9,241 posts, read 8,191,782 times
Reputation: 2221
We need to rewrite the 14th amendment for its true intent
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Long Island
29,434 posts, read 17,069,279 times
Reputation: 8349
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
).

Zakaria also claims there are "antiquated" elements of the Constitution. I think this is true, especially the Electoral College. I have yet to hear a viable, legitimate reason why we can vote for every other office in government by popular vote but for the Presidency.
the electorial college is NEEDED

New York city(the city not the state) has a bigger population than over 10 other states COMBINED

example the popluation of New York City is 8.5 million.......which is bigger than 38 of the states

look at these STATES combined:

wyoming 544k
vermont 621k
n. dakota 640k
alaska 690k
s. dakota 821k
delaware 885k
montana 974k
rhode island 1.01 million
hawaii 1.2 million
maine 1.3 million

total 7.8 million

10 states combined less than the population of NY CITY

if you eliminate it, it goes to popluar vote, which would be squewed towards the cities




you cant repeal the electorial college
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 09:01 AM
 
16,546 posts, read 12,786,702 times
Reputation: 4235
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post



you cant repeal the electorial college
They sure want to try. They want Communism AKA Pure Democracy where mob rules. It's the only way the Left will ever get their way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
36,728 posts, read 37,967,323 times
Reputation: 58034
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
We need to rewrite the 14th amendment for its true intent
We need to start arresting and prosecuting politicians based on the 10th amendment.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Norman, OK
3,479 posts, read 6,863,761 times
Reputation: 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the electorial college is NEEDED

New York city(the city not the state) has a bigger population than over 10 other states COMBINED

example the popluation of New York City is 8.5 million.......which is bigger than 38 of the states

look at these STATES combined:

wyoming 544k
vermont 621k
n. dakota 640k
alaska 690k
s. dakota 821k
delaware 885k
montana 974k
rhode island 1.01 million
hawaii 1.2 million
maine 1.3 million

total 7.8 million

10 states combined less than the population of NY CITY

if you eliminate it, it goes to popluar vote, which would be squewed towards the cities




you cant repeal the electorial college
Other than 2 times in history (note: I am not counting the Jackson/Adams and Hayes/Tilden elections because those were mired in several other issues besides EC vs. popular vote), the eventual President of the US has won the popular vote. I fail to see how popular vote then changes election results.

And, by the way, your argument would also involve elections of state governors, US senators, mayors of cities, etc. Everything should be an electoral college?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 09:21 AM
 
12,238 posts, read 12,514,429 times
Reputation: 10274
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Other than 2 times in history (note: I am not counting the Jackson/Adams and Hayes/Tilden elections because those were mired in several other issues besides EC vs. popular vote), the eventual President of the US has won the popular vote. I fail to see how popular vote then changes election results.

And, by the way, your argument would also involve elections of state governors, US senators, mayors of cities, etc. Everything should be an electoral college?
People who want to get rid of the electoral college because it usurps the popular vote, and people who want to keep it because they think it somehow gives rural citizens more of a vote than urban ones, are both wrong. The electoral college is anachronistic, borne out of the logistical problems of a nation-wide vote back in the late 1700s, but for the most part its results mirror the results of the popular vote, so who cares?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Hillsboro, OR
2,200 posts, read 4,168,895 times
Reputation: 1378
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Other than 2 times in history (note: I am not counting the Jackson/Adams and Hayes/Tilden elections because those were mired in several other issues besides EC vs. popular vote), the eventual President of the US has won the popular vote. I fail to see how popular vote then changes election results.

And, by the way, your argument would also involve elections of state governors, US senators, mayors of cities, etc. Everything should be an electoral college?
This.


Also, we should be a parliamentary system.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 11:06 AM
 
2,652 posts, read 8,242,856 times
Reputation: 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
We need to start arresting and prosecuting politicians based on the 10th amendment.
You had me at prosecuting politicians...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:33 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top