Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 08:46 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Isnt Obama the President? You telling me that he cant fast track drilling permits? The excuses from you is utterly amazing..
If you don't know what's involved, look it up. It's not that hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 08:51 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
How long do you think it takes from drilling permit to producing well of the type of oil used to produce gasoline? This assertion is a GOP talking point intended to confuse people who are unaware of the process, that is all.
We've heard this conveniently self-perpetuating argument for a decade now. "It won't lower prices today so why bother."

10 years later: "It won't lower prices today, so why bother?"

10 years from now I'm sure we'll hear it again. "It won't lower prices today, so why bother?" I dunno, maybe so that 10 years after that we won't have ask yet again?

Old 06-23-2011, 08:52 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Since it is all about putting everything on Obama's ledger
If Obama isnt releasing oil from the reserves, then who is?
Quote:
I'm not surprised you don't care about any drop in prices. You only "care" about increasing prices.
I often ask myself if liberals have a diseases which doesnt allow them to think properly. Me posting FACTS about what normally takes place, doesnt mean I do or dont care about what is taking place. I have paid for gasoline for 3+ years, so I could care less what the gas prices do.. I do care however when we have liberals here celebrating stupidity because they somehow, cant comprehend the normal outcome of such movements.
Quote:
This is not a secret. So, stop worrying about being an educator, just be open to debate and respond with directness. That is why we all come to a discussion forums, right?
Clearly I'm allowed to post the normal outcome of the stock market when oil prices drop. This is a free country, and you dont own this website. The fact that you dont want me to discuss it, has me curious why you think this is off limits to the discussion..
Quote:
So, I must ask (again), do you think it is the President's responsibility to reign in on oil prices and to ensure welfare of the stock market?
Actually that isnt the topic of the thread, but I'll answer you anyways. The Presidents job is the ensure the safety of this nation, this includes security and fiscal issues. His policies, and their direct affects upon things like oil prices and stock market prices, we are free to discuss here, even if you wish other not to point them out..

Its beyond STUPID to release oil reserves for a short term temporary drop, because they need repurchased, and todays stock market drop, now at 235 points, indicates the market isnt buying this bull crap either. You can sit here all day long and turn the topic into an "attack pghquest" thread for simply pointing out FACTS, but then that would be very hypocritical considering the fact you want people to discuss the issues as above.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:54 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
It is definitely a calculated move. Everything he does is.
As opposed to GWBush's moves, which were made with no thought at all.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:54 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
"Speculators crushed?" The speculators who were betting on price drops are making out like bandits. Why do you support taxpayer subsidies for speculators?
LOTS of money was chasing oil and piling in $100+ .... they'll be getting squeezed out soon.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:04 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
As opposed to GWBush's moves, which were made with no thought at all.

Bush opened public lands to oil exploration thereby accomplishing the same thing but without pimpin' off the SOR for political gain.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:05 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
LOTS of money was chasing oil and piling in $100+ .... they'll be getting squeezed out soon.
You do realize that speculating is a zero-sum affair, right? That for every speculator getting "crushed" another is making a fortune? People who sold contracts at, say, $100 or $115 or $125/bbl that are coming due today are having a field day. So why are you so enthusiastic about using taxpayer resources to help the these make their fortune?

Old 06-23-2011, 09:08 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,589 times
Quote:
I'm sorry but not only have you been tosd, but you are again clearly wrong
As the price of oil goes up, the stock market goes down.

Crude Oil Price and Stock Returns - CXO Advisory

I'll give you the chance to respond to me intelligently..
If the price of oil goes down, and this increases the profits for UPS, and American Airlines, then why on gods earth would their stock go down?

cop out answer, typical..

Try this again, I thought Obama was president, you are telling me he cant fast track permits?
Read this article:

Do Oil Prices Directly Affect the Stock Market? :: Andrea Pescatori and Beth Mowry :: Economic Trends :: 09.12.08 :: Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland

Quote:
Sometimes they rise and fall together, but the relationship between oil and stocks does not appear to be very strong.
As is obvious to everyone except for you, apparently, we are currently in a stage where they are moving TOGETHER.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:09 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
He's a little late.

I guess he realized how bad the jobs numbers would be.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:09 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,589 times
Quote:
I'm waiting for you to tell me why lower fuel costs for UPS and American Airlines, wont equal more profits, or if you agree this will equal more profits, then tell me why that wont equal higher stock prices..
Since when is UPS and American Airlines the entire stock market?

Oh, that's right, it isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies