Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 09:24 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The DJIA, NASDAQ, S&P 500, are ALL down.. Not just the two sighted.. I just grabbed them at random because I know their largest expenses happens to be fuel..
indeed. Cherry-picking data is not "grabbing them at random". Try looking at my last post.

Quote:
lets try this again
If the price of oil is down, and this equates to higher profits, because their expenses go down, then why would their stock drop?

Dont dodge the question again..
See above.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-23-2011 at 10:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 09:30 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
indeed. Cherry-picking data is not "grabbing them at random". Try looking at my last post.

You seem to not have the capability to discuss matters like this that are over your head.

See above.
There are some that just cannot be educated. Much like Sarah P, many have tried, and obviously failed. I fear it is an exercise in futility.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:36 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
lol, typical, and an absolute non-response when you are proven wrong.
Did you have to change your charts several times to get the results you wanted? No one is discussing the relative percentages.. nice try though

News Headlines

Stocks Fall as Oil Prices Rise and Tech Weighs - DailyFinance

GLOBAL MARKETS-Oil falls, stocks rise as OPEC mulls output boost | Reuters

NationalJournal.com - Stocks Rise, Oil Falls After Bin Laden's Death - Monday, May 2, 2011

Clearly you know more than all of these people right?

Old 06-23-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I seen you cherry pick data, to the point you had to change the discussion into percentages rather than dollars.. that was funny.. as if I wouldnt notice it
Quote:
You seem to not have the capability to discuss matters like this that are over your head.
You dont have the capability to educate the rest of the world on how they are wrong and you are right..
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
There are some that just cannot be educated. Much like Sarah P, many have tried, and obviously failed. I fear it is an exercise in futility.
Are you ever able to enter into a discussion with facts because it sounds like all you know how to do is attack other posters..

Old 06-23-2011, 09:42 AM

148 posts, read 550,308 times
Default Election year 2012

Election year 2012 the only reason he released the barrels.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:45 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,202 times
Quote:
Did you have to change your charts several times to get the results you wanted? No one is discussing the relative percentages.. nice try though

News Headlines

Stocks Fall as Oil Prices Rise and Tech Weighs - DailyFinance

GLOBAL MARKETS-Oil falls, stocks rise as OPEC mulls output boost | Reuters

NationalJournal.com - Stocks Rise, Oil Falls After Bin Laden's Death - Monday, May 2, 2011

Clearly you know more than all of these people right?
Once again, you are cherry picking your data at individual points and not looking at the trend over time.

I did not "change" anything in the charts since all I did was pick oil prices and dow jones on wolfram alpha, then clicked 3 months to make it readable. You are the one picking individual points on that chart that fit your personal belief.

Regardless of that, if you knew anything about mathematics (hint: education!), you would know that the relative %age chart I posted is accurate and sound. Since oil and stocks are traded in two different units (does the dow jones average have a $ sign in front of it?), it is something that must be done in order to have an accurate chart.

Quote:
I seen you cherry pick data, to the point you had to change the discussion into percentages rather than dollars.. that was funny.. as if I wouldnt notice it

You dont have the capability to educate the rest of the world on how they are wrong and you are right..

Are you ever able to enter into a discussion with facts because it sounds like all you know how to do is attack other posters..

You "seen" me, eh? It proves you do not understand mathematics. I invite you to take a basic math course at your local community college (that is, unless you are afraid of the "libhurl edumacation places").

I have presented facts. I showed the situation as it stands as a whole. You are cherry picking data in a sad attempt to "prove" your point is correct when it is obvious to the board that you are worlds beyond incorrect.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:52 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Bush opened public lands to oil exploration thereby accomplishing the same thing but without pimpin' off the SOR for political gain.
Bush opened public lands to oil exploration possibly causing immeasurable damage to our environment.............

Old 06-23-2011, 09:55 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Drilling Permit facts.

Status of Drilling Permits Subject to Enhanced Safety and Environmental Requirements in the Gulf of Mexico

Old 06-23-2011, 09:57 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
There goes the myth that if we used our own supply it wouldn't lower prices.
It won't lower prices permanently. World production oil production is about 87 Million barrels per day. Is Obama going to release 30 Million barrels per day?

No, he isn't, because you don't have that much in reserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
WTH! Why are we releasing oil from the SPR when there are no supply disruptions??
It is claimed that it will ease pressure on the weak global economy, and perhaps it might for a few days, but it isn't going to ease pressure for the rest of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
There goes the idea that "drill baby drill" would not affect the price of oil. It also reenforces the idea that oil and gas prices are high because the 0bama admin is so hostile to US oil production.
It doesn't prove anything. People with an oil IQ greater than ZERO know that drilling is only the first step in a process that takes years, and it takes about 5 years just to the assays and the geologic studies when you start drilling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
It isn't Obama's idea.

The IEA decided to do this and Obama is just tagging along as is typically the case.

"The International Energy Agency, based in Paris, warned that the tight oil market "threatens to undermine the fragile global economic recovery" by forcing individuals and businesses to spend more on energy and less on other goods and services."

28 countries to release crude, prices plunge; stocks sink - USATODAY.com
That's short sighted. It's a temporary stop-gap-band-aid measure, not a permanent solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyofnorth View Post
Election year 2012 the only reason he released the barrels.
That's obtuse. A month from now it will be as though that oil had never been released, and 6 months from now, it will be forgotten, just like Deep Horizon.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Once again, you are cherry picking your data at individual points and not looking at the trend over time.
Um.. we're discussing TODAYS reaction, why would I not look at todays results
Quote:
I did not "change" anything in the charts since all I did was pick oil prices and dow jones on wolfram alpha, then clicked 3 months to make it readable. You are the one picking individual points on that chart that fit your personal belief.
Again, why would we look at 3 months of data to analize an event that happened today? Posting DJIA, NASDAQ, S&P results is not cherry picking results, they happen to be industry standard.
Quote:
Regardless of that, if you knew anything about mathematics (hint: education!), you would know that the relative %age chart I posted is accurate and sound. Since oil and stocks are traded in two different units (does the dow jones average have a $ sign in front of it?), it is something that must be done in order to have an accurate chart.
FAIL again. You cant chart out 3 months of activity for an event that happened today
Quote:
You "seen" me, eh? It proves you do not understand mathematics. I invite you to take a basic math course at your local community college (that is, unless you are afraid of the "libhurl edumacation places").
babble babble babble, nothing of substance.. I love these conversations..
Quote:
I have presented facts. I showed the situation as it stands as a whole. You are cherry picking data in a sad attempt to "prove" your point is correct when it is obvious to the board that you are worlds beyond incorrect.
Again, DJIA, NASDAQ, and S&P isnt cherry picking data. Did I pull out two random companies that have a high fuel expense on their balance sheets, yes, but thats to dumb the thread down for those of you that seem to have difficulty understanding the full picture.

There isnt a dam economist in the world that will tell you that higher oil prices = higher stock prices.. NONE.. and we have a very long drawn out history of oil dropping, with stocks going up as a result
U.S. stocks rise as oil falls, yields stabilize Market Snapshot - MarketWatch
Stocks fall as oil prices rise | GazetteNET
I could post thousands upon thousands of links to show your wrong and you'll sit here and tell me that all of these people who make their living off of these things are wrong.

AGAIN I ask you, why would oil prices falling, equate to lower stock prices for UPS, or American Airlines, since they have a very high fuel cost on their balance sheet? You havent even begun to try to answer this question.. I know why, BECAUSE YOU CANT.. It makes absolutely positively no economic sense that lower fuel costs = higher profits, yields a lower stock price.. NONE!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies