Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 05:40 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEwx_46 View Post
Today's Tea Party is nowhere near Libertarianism.
I said the Libertarian Party was chiefly responsible for the original TEA Party Movement Tax Day Protests, particularly during the 1970s. I never said the TEA Party was a Libertarian movement.

Personally, I do not like the Libertarian Party. However, that does not mean I am going to attempt to rewrite history like some Libertarian fanatic. Before 1972, there was no Libertarian Party and there were no TEA Party Movement Tax Day Protests, at least since 1773. That is reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 07:15 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Your right.

I remember all of the Republicans who protested the Bush/Cheney march to war in Iraq.

I remember Ron Paul denouncing libertarianism.

And I remember Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh and Michael Savage and their utter rejection of the Tea Party rallies in Washington.

Yes. I see it how you see it.
That makes about as much sense as your original post.

1. I suppose you forgot the criticism leveled by the father of modern American conservativism William F. Buckley, or George H.W. Bush's National Security Advisor who in an open wrote a scathing criticism of the Iraq war, and having missed those two unmistakable conservative voice, I have to ask myself what would be the point of helping you learn the name of others lesser known, at least to you, conservatives.

2. Whether Ron Paul denounces libertarianism to say that Ron Paul is the sins qua non of libertarian ideology without scant knowledge of the works of Robert Nozick is staggering.

3. Once again, is your argument, contrary to every Tea Party apologist that I have ever read that Tea Party was far more inclusive of just the insane wing of the insane right, but also included average citizens of all stripes who were simply sick and tired of Republican and Democrats acting irresponsibly. Am I to understand that the sum total of conservative philosophy is now encapsulated within the "mind"(sic) of Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh and Michael Savage??

Or, is the problem that you are so bereft, as to be incapable of articulating a cogent thought regarding political ideology and as a result are only capable of compiling etherial lists of names and putting them next to what you think are the terms that they define?

But if making list is a must, try this:

Conservatives = William F. Buckley, William Safire, Barry Goldwater, and yes Ronald Reagan.

Libertarians = Immanuel Kant, Henry George, Hillel Steiner, Philippe Van Parijs, Sheldon Richman, the before mentioned Robert Nozick as well as Ron Paul who hardly measures up to the intellectual rigors of libertarianism as the aforementioned intellectuals.

Republican Party = well here you confusion is understandable because I don't think the Republican Party even understands what the Republican Party is any longer. Of course if it stands for the Bush Doctrine, it also stands for unfunded Federal mandates and war and a love of large federal deficits. I don't think that is what you want to claim, but it is part and parcel of the brand.

Last edited by ovcatto; 06-23-2011 at 07:32 PM..

Old 06-24-2011, 11:35 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
That makes about as much sense as your original post.

1. I suppose you forgot the criticism leveled by the father of modern American conservativism William F. Buckley, or George H.W. Bush's National Security Advisor who in an open wrote a scathing criticism of the Iraq war, and having missed those two unmistakable conservative voice, I have to ask myself what would be the point of helping you learn the name of others lesser known, at least to you, conservatives.

2. Whether Ron Paul denounces libertarianism to say that Ron Paul is the sins qua non of libertarian ideology without scant knowledge of the works of Robert Nozick is staggering.

3. Once again, is your argument, contrary to every Tea Party apologist that I have ever read that Tea Party was far more inclusive of just the insane wing of the insane right, but also included average citizens of all stripes who were simply sick and tired of Republican and Democrats acting irresponsibly. Am I to understand that the sum total of conservative philosophy is now encapsulated within the "mind"(sic) of Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh and Michael Savage??

Or, is the problem that you are so bereft, as to be incapable of articulating a cogent thought regarding political ideology and as a result are only capable of compiling etherial lists of names and putting them next to what you think are the terms that they define?

But if making list is a must, try this:

Conservatives = William F. Buckley, William Safire, Barry Goldwater, and yes Ronald Reagan.

Libertarians = Immanuel Kant, Henry George, Hillel Steiner, Philippe Van Parijs, Sheldon Richman, the before mentioned Robert Nozick as well as Ron Paul who hardly measures up to the intellectual rigors of libertarianism as the aforementioned intellectuals.

Republican Party = well here you confusion is understandable because I don't think the Republican Party even understands what the Republican Party is any longer. Of course if it stands for the Bush Doctrine, it also stands for unfunded Federal mandates and war and a love of large federal deficits. I don't think that is what you want to claim, but it is part and parcel of the brand.
Simply listing names doesn't refute my argument.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:30 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
When was this?
According to some in this thread Ron Paul and Libertarianism have nothing to do with one another.

Last edited by clb10; 06-24-2011 at 01:43 PM..

Old 06-24-2011, 01:31 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
I do know that Republican and Conservative is a distinction without a meaningful difference.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:59 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,208,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
According to some in this thread Ron Paul and Libertarianism have nothing to do with one another.
I am not sure why, he is a lifetime member of the L.P.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies