Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 06:20 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Just for the record folks:
A Jew is someone who practices Judaism!!
A Jew can be someone who practices Judaism, but that's not the only meaning of Jew. I am a Jew, I would know better than you. A Jew is a person born of a Jewish mother, or who undergoes are very strict orthodox conversion. Some Reform congregations also consider one a Jew if they are born of a Jewish father, and raised in Reform Judaism.

But the most basic rule under Jewish law is that one is born of a Jewish mother. No religion required.

Half of all Israeli Jews (and yes they are Jewish) are secular. Jew does not only refer to religion. Get your facts straight.

Quote:
A "secular Christian" is NOT a Christian!
Christianity is a religion, not an ethnicity or nationality. That's why you can't be a secular Christian.

Quote:
Now can we return to the OP about Israeli "free speech" and Apple?

Thanks!

Peace,
brian
What's the point? If you're so oblivious to the meaning of a Jew, you opinion in the OP probably isn't worth discussing either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 07:49 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
A "secular Christian" is NOT a Christian!
You as the OP have no clue what Secularism is.

As per Apple:

Quote:
“We removed the app from the App Store because it violates our developer guidelines by being offensive to large groups of people.”
Numerous apps get removed yearly due to complaints by numerous groups.

Quote:
Now can we return to the OP about Israeli "free speech" and Apple?
There is no problem in Israel with "Free Speech". There is a problem, AS IN EVERY OTHER COUNTRY ON THIS PLANET, when that speech is done to incite violence.

Thus your post has nothing to do with Free Speech, but more of your bigotry against Jews/Israelis/Zionists.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:00 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,368,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
A Jew can be someone who practices Judaism, but that's not the only meaning of Jew. I am a Jew, I would know better than you. A Jew is a person born of a Jewish mother, or who undergoes are very strict orthodox conversion. Some Reform congregations also consider one a Jew if they are born of a Jewish father, and raised in Reform Judaism.

But the most basic rule under Jewish law is that one is born of a Jewish mother. No religion required.

Half of all Israeli Jews (and yes they are Jewish) are secular. Jew does not only refer to religion. Get your facts straight.

Christianity is a religion, not an ethnicity or nationality. That's why you can't be a secular Christian.

What's the point? If you're so oblivious to the meaning of a Jew, you opinion in the OP probably isn't worth discussing either.
I think we will have to agree to disagree.

The "star of David," (who was David? Oh yeah, a king in the OT. ),
the Sabbath (who created the Sabbath? Oh yeah, YHWH! ),
circumcision (why? Oh yeah, the pact between Abraham and God! ),
kosher foods (why? Oh yeah, it's written in the OT! ),
sacrificial passovers, feasts, etc (why? Oh yead, it's commanded in the OT! ).

The fact that someone is born by a "Jewish woman" obviously does not mean that they will follow the Judaic religion. So they may appear on paper to be Jews, but I choose to look at how they behave.

Those who follow Judaism are Jews, because they follow their faith. Those who do not should use a term which is coherent with their beliefs, such as atheist, agnostic, etc. in order to not appear hypocritical.

Even the name "Jew" comes from Jacob and Judah, both Biblical figures. All descended from Abraham, according to the Old Testament.

But obviously descent doesn't guarantee morality, goodness or "holiness."

Peace,
brian

Old 06-24-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
"You as the OP have no clue what Secularism is."
-Ok, if you say so.

Quote:
"Numerous apps get removed yearly due to complaints by numerous groups."
-True. And your point is?

Quote:
"There is no problem in Israel with "Free Speech". There is a problem, AS IN EVERY OTHER COUNTRY ON THIS PLANET, when that speech is done to incite violence."
- People who speak out against the actions of Israel, whether good or bad, are called "antisemitic." But I can see through it.

Quote:
"Thus your post has nothing to do with Free Speech, but more of your bigotry against Jews/Israelis/Zionists."
- I'm not against Jews. Israelis and Zionists are not Jews. They use Jewishness to get power. They use the Holocaust to get money. They use "antisemitism" to get support for their unclean, un-Jewish causes.
No, they are not Jews.
True Jews are good people, I know many myself, and I admire their faith and I feel for what they have to deal with everyday from the Zionists. (And not all of them are "ultra-orthodox" either. But they take God and religion seriously, and they don't use it to beat up, oppress and kill other people. Can you say, "thou shalt not kill?" )

Peace,
brian

Old 06-24-2011, 08:35 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Zionists are not Jews. They use Jewishness to get power. They use the Holocaust to get money. They use "antisemitism" to get support for their unclean, un-Jewish causes.
No, they are not Jews.
This entire statement is the sign that you are a Bigot.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
This entire statement is the sign that you are a Bigot.
Thanks for your comment, Neil.

Blessings,
brian

Old 06-24-2011, 09:42 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
I think we will have to agree to disagree.

The "star of David," (who was David? Oh yeah, a king in the OT. ),
the Sabbath (who created the Sabbath? Oh yeah, YHWH! ),
circumcision (why? Oh yeah, the pact between Abraham and God! ),
kosher foods (why? Oh yeah, it's written in the OT! ),
sacrificial passovers, feasts, etc (why? Oh yead, it's commanded in the OT! ).
All of which have nothing to do with Jewish as an ethnicity.

Judaism 101: Who Is a Jew?

A Jew is any person whose mother was a Jew or any person who has gone through the formal process of conversion to Judaism. It is important to note that being a Jew has nothing to do with what you believe or what you do. A person born to non-Jewish parents who has not undergone the formal process of conversion but who believes everything that Orthodox Jews believe and observes every law and custom of Judaism is still a non-Jew, even in the eyes of the most liberal movements of Judaism, and a person born to a Jewish mother who is an atheist and never practices the Jewish religion is still a Jew, even in the eyes of the ultra-Orthodox. In this sense, Judaism is more like a nationality than like other religions, and being Jewish is like a citizenship.

Quote:
The fact that someone is born by a "Jewish woman" obviously does not mean that they will follow the Judaic religion. So they may appear on paper to be Jews, but I choose to look at how they behave.
Then you choose to believe in false information. One doesn't need to follow any religion to be a Jew. Judaism is the religion. Jew or Jewish refers to ethnicity and nationality.

This is so freakin basic among the entire Jewish community. Not even Orthodox Jews agree with your inane views of what constitutes a Jew.

Quote:
Those who follow Judaism are Jews, because they follow their faith. Those who do not should use a term which is coherent with their beliefs, such as atheist, agnostic, etc. in order to not appear hypocritical.
Since Jewish refers to a nationality, it's no different than being an American atheist. A Jewish atheist is not a contradiction.

Quote:
Even the name "Jew" comes from Jacob and Judah, both Biblical figures. All descended from Abraham, according to the Old Testament.
So?

You really need to just stop talking about this. You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. You're arguing with a Jew about what it means to be a Jew.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
All of which have nothing to do with Jewish as an ethnicity.

Judaism 101: Who Is a Jew?

A Jew is any person whose mother was a Jew or any person who has gone through the formal process of conversion to Judaism. It is important to note that being a Jew has nothing to do with what you believe or what you do. A person born to non-Jewish parents who has not undergone the formal process of conversion but who believes everything that Orthodox Jews believe and observes every law and custom of Judaism is still a non-Jew, even in the eyes of the most liberal movements of Judaism, and a person born to a Jewish mother who is an atheist and never practices the Jewish religion is still a Jew, even in the eyes of the ultra-Orthodox. In this sense, Judaism is more like a nationality than like other religions, and being Jewish is like a citizenship.

Then you choose to believe in false information. One doesn't need to follow any religion to be a Jew. Judaism is the religion. Jew or Jewish refers to ethnicity and nationality.

This is so freakin basic among the entire Jewish community. Not even Orthodox Jews agree with your inane views of what constitutes a Jew.

Since Jewish refers to a nationality, it's no different than being an American atheist. A Jewish atheist is not a contradiction.

So?

You really need to just stop talking about this. You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. You're arguing with a Jew about what it means to be a Jew.
Rather than repeat myself, I'll just refer you back to my previous post.

Peace,
brian

Old 06-24-2011, 10:01 AM

915 posts, read 1,190,665 times
Quote:
Rather than repeat myself, I'll just refer you back to my previous post.

Peace,
brian

Go ask your friends at Neturei Karta what makes a Jew. Not a good Jew or bad Jew, but just a Jew.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm113 View Post
Go ask your friends at Neturei Karta what makes a Jew. Not a good Jew or bad Jew, but just a Jew.
I see your point. But I don't know what you mean by "bad Jew." There are people who claim to be Jews but want nothing to do with Judaism. To me, they are not interested in "heritage" at all, and therefore truly "self-hating Jews."
But a Jew who strives to follow the commandments and yet makes mistakes, I wouldn't call a "bad Jew." He is a Jew.

The same for Christians. There are those who try to follow Christ, even though they make mistakes. And there are those who use the Christian label, but in their hearts have no desire to follow Jesus' teachings. To me, this latter group is worse than an atheist, who is at least honest about his beliefs.

Peace,
brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies