Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2011, 10:51 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryFriend View Post
You can't read.

So yeah, you did imply they were coming for farm jobs. And again, they actually were. Farmland was promised by the US. I don't know what else you would do with farmland if not farm.
And I didn't say the US was a craphole. Again, read.

I several times referenced to "craphole", which was obviously used in reference to Europe in an earlier post. And my last sentence reads "If it was, so was the US." You think you can understand this? I think it's quite obvious.

Something I forgot to add.

Do you know what Industrialization means? It started in Europe, not in the US. Europe was highly developed as a matter of fact. The US caught on later ( as well as the rest of the world ).
Especially the first wave of settlers moved from plenty to nothing in North and South America. They still did move. Funny how people move huh?
I never said there weren't immigrants who came to be farmers--I simply pointed out that of the huge immigrant masses who flocked to the US during the largest period of immigration(about 1870-1920s), most of them ended up working in industrial jobs in cities or boomtowns or performing other menial tasks. While there were those who ended up being homesteaders in the Upper Midwest-Great Plains-Western region and recieved free land under the Homestead Act after 1862 west of the Mississippi---for the most part this includes some of the most sparsely populated regions of the country, and was not the destination for the vast majority of immigrants of the time.

Industrialization started in England and spread to the richer parts of Western Europe like France and eventually Germany, although there were plenty of places in Eastern and Southern Europe that remained rural and largely agricultural well into the 20th Century. It's not as if all of Europe was or is some unified culture with no differences in living standards.

There were more skilled, middle class immigrants among the masses of poor Europeans immigrating then, just as there are skilled, professional immigrants still immigrating today amongst the poorer migrant workers. The history of this nation is just not as simple as you seem to want to make it out to be.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:50 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post
You do realize that Asian Americans are the fastest growing demographic in the United States right? Grew faster than the Hispanic demographic. The African American population along with whites have declined as a share of the general population.

Not only that most of the engineering and medicine/science programs in the United States are not filled with white students but Asian students.

10 years from now most of medicine, engineering, and science will be dominated by Asian Americans. So to say that every minority group simply does not have the capacity to lead the nation down a prosperous path is downright idiotic.
In CA the colleges fill up to 10% of their classes with foreign students regardless of the fact that they never paid taxes in the U.S.! Naturally, this puts an unfair tax burden on the residents who did pay taxes to provide for those schools but can't get in.

In many countries, there are health and financial requirements which must be met prior to taking up residents. So, why do we get the left overs who need our tax dollars from the government teet to reproduce?

Ohio has a high rate of unemployment but in Cleveland built a new welcome center for the foreigners. Where is the logic? Does that mean that Ohio has wiped out its unemployment?

Old 06-25-2011, 12:54 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
No, not true. Overrepresented, yes, but not filled with. Not sure what you think of, but I think of much more than overrepresented - maybe 50%. I have an engineering degree, I work in that field. It's not that many. Maybe 10%. I just read that day that 9/10 Indian students plan on leaving the US upon graduation - just a note.But that dosen't have anything to do with the OP, though.
Because there are jobs in India with many of the high tech companies having a presence there and the standard of living at their high tech salaries is much higher. Indian programmers/engineers can afford drivers/maids on the salaries they make over there.

Last edited by HappyTexan; 06-25-2011 at 02:15 PM..

Old 06-25-2011, 01:33 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Basically, yeah, they did. Add free farmland to that and persecution in your country, and you will hop on that boat.

You can "stand on your comnents" all you want. They had a higher per capita GDP and were not poor. That is a simple face. Around 1820, Europe's per capita was about 600 Follars, 400 Dollars in the US. You don't know much about US history, do you? The reasons why they came here are extensively covered. Even I know that lol. And I wasn't even born or raised in the US. Just got to stick to the facts. Why did they go to South America? Samae reason. That's how the new colonies were populated.
Again, you're here because your ancestors were dirt poor in some 3rd world hovel in Europe. It there a possibility that they were among the "middle class" European immigrants? Sure. There is also the possibility that i'll hit the lotto for a few hundred million in my lifetime.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:54 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Because there are jobs in India with many of the high tech companies having a presence there and the standard of living at their high tech salaries is much higher. Indian programmers/engineers can afford drivers/maids on the salaries they make over there.

Drive by any of the tech companies, schools (all levels), medical centers in the Bay area and you won't find many Americans.

FYI - in many parts of high tech India, such as Hyderabad, the goverment is still uses water as a polical issue so some people only get water every other day. Since water service might start at 2:00AM that means you better get up to start filling your jugs while you can or wait for the next service day. So, instead of fixing the problems there, come here and use our resources, fill our college seats, and bring their caste system.

We need to be like other countries and require certain minimal financial and health standards before entering the US as anyting other than toursit.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:16 PM

577 posts, read 900,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
So I guess liberals will be happy with the fact that they want the U.S. to become South Africa (or Latin America). A minority white population that holds most of the wealth, and a majority and growing underclass of non-whites. Most of the growth in minorities in this country is the result of unbridled illegal immigration giving birth to lots of anchor babies. It's no secret that illegal Mexicans have the highest birth rate as a group in the U.S. Time to move back to Puerto Rico looks like
I would be wont to agree with you were it not for the fact that 1) Not all whites in the US hold disproportionate wealth or power. Half of all people living in poverty in the US are white. 2) Whites, especially white males, are the only group that can be legally discriminated against under affirmative action -- or similar programs called by different names. 3) I am always puzzled why asians are rarely brought up in these debates/ arguments about supposed white socio-economic power. The highest median income in the US is brought in by asians. They consistently outperform every other group, including whites, on standardized tests. If there is going to be a minority-elite in this country it will be as asian as it is white.

Anyway, as has been pointed out (I believe by you) the real story here is not that whites are having fewer babies or that other races are having so many more babies than whites-- it's that Hispanics, particularly illegal immigrants, have a much higher birthrate than any other group. From the article, the politely phrased, "our future labor force is absolutely dependent on our ability to integrate and educate a new diverse child population" is code for "our educational system needs to pour its resources into teaching the children of illegal immigrants to a point of functional literacy--" which will be no small feat as, up to now, it's been virtually impossible to make a dent in their academic achievement. Illegal immigrants tend to be less assimilated than other immigrants by virtue of their status-- which means the children grow up linguistically isolated, which means their performance in school consistently suffers (language is not the only factor, but it's a huge one). I doubt any government/ educational program really has the power to change this. Regardless of where a person stands on the political spectrum, it's pretty scary to contemplate the prospect of an even less literate society.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid825 View Post
Regardless of where a person stands on the political spectrum, it's pretty scary to contemplate the prospect of an even less literate society.
And we keep lowering standards so that passing rates don't fall.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:42 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,346,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It's my take.

Where did i claim that there was a nation where blacks live better than us? In fact, what in the hell does that have to do with this thread? We're talking about THIS country, and the shape it's in. And WHO has been leading it since it's inception.

Besides, i don't need to continue this conversation (with you). I'm done.

Most people say that when they have nothing. Thanks.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:18 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,493,477 times
Poor people tend to multiply more than financially-stabled families. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out. What i don't understand is why the media is reporting this as a tool to create fear among White-Americans? Minorities can surpass the White population by 60% but Whites will still hold power.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
Poor people tend to multiply more than financially-stabled families. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out. What i don't understand is why the media is reporting this as a tool to create fear among White-Americans? Minorities can surpass the White population by 60% but Whites will still hold power.
Per your post above.."poor people tend to multiply more than financially stable families".

How does a nation of poor people run itself ? You can have all the power in the world but if you have no revenue you cannot do squat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies