Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 06:51 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I've heard they've been cutting recess in elementary schools. Madness. Back in my elementary school days (the 90s) we had recess every day and I think we had PE three days a week. In middle school we had PE every day except Friday.
Recess and PE in school was like break from class when I was in school, they could have dropped it and it wouldn't have made a difference. The physical activity after school is where the bulk of the excercise came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 06:52 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Recess and PE in school was like break from class when I was in school, they could have dropped it and it wouldn't have made a difference. The physical activity after school is where the bulk of the excercise came from.
Yeah I agree. I remember PE, waiting in a long line for a chance to kick a ball or something. Hardly worth it. I got more exercise walking to and from school..

Old 06-23-2011, 07:08 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I think some school should experiment by putting the fat kids into the same classes and the normal-weight kids into other classes. Keep this up for a few years, maybe 4th grade to 7th. Then compare test scores and IQ levels and publish the results in Newsweek.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:24 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This was a small, small elementary school which probably makes a difference. I know we used to go out and run around, play four square or dodgeball, or try and brave the monkey bars. PE was also pretty all-inclusive.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:30 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
This was a small, small elementary school which probably makes a difference. I know we used to go out and run around, play four square or dodgeball, or try and brave the monkey bars. PE was also pretty all-inclusive.

My elementary school was fairly small two, two classes per grade. The auditorium, gym and cafeteria were all the same room. Basically the same thing you describe but it really didn't compare to the activity after school.

I walked to school every day right up until I got my drivers license, for HS it was a 1 mile walk. The bus stop was nearly as far so I just walked to the school...

Old 06-23-2011, 07:34 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Why is Ronald McDonald now a target?
Because people don't want to take responsibility for what they feed their children.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:35 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
I was definitely at my most fit when I did cross country in 7th and 8th grades (practice every day after school), tennis in 9th grade (again, every day after school) and lifting weights on my own in 11th grade.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:45 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Why is Ronald McDonald now a target?
Isn't it obvious? Cartoons and clowns and toys are used by fast food corporations to imprint brand recognition on small children starting with thousands of commercials aimed at them by the time the child is 3 years old. This will lead to the desired result- The Nag Factor: children who endlessly bug their parents to "take me to McDonalds!!!" which will then lead to exhausted parents bringing their kids to McDonalds where the children become hooked on the junk food-- via copious amounts of salt, fat, and sugar -- which will then turn the child into a lifetime obese customer addicted to salt, fat, and sugar. The child, addicted to McD's Frankenfood, grows up and will then bring their own children to McDonalds to continue the junk food habit throughout their natural lives until they all die of a heart attack at the age of 45.

If we can ban Joe Camel in the name of public health then we can certainly ban Ronald McDonald, both of which serve the exact same purpose: to get kids addicted to unhealthy cigarettes/junk food.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:48 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Read more: Calories in Big Mac - Nutrition Facts & Other Nutritional Information | LIVESTRONG.COM

McDonald's Big Mac Nutrition

One Big Mac has over 1000 mg of sodium and 30 grams of fat...thats enough for an entire month an induces hypertension.

Empty carbs, cheap and filling, no nutrtional value. All fast food as any family dr will tell you, is empty calories, the same as cheap dog food.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:53 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Isn't it obvious? Cartoons and clowns and toys are used by fast food corporations to imprint brand recognition on small children starting with thousands of commercials aimed at them by the time the child is 3 years old. This will lead to the desired result- The Nag Factor: children who endlessly bug their parents to "take me to McDonalds!!!" which will then lead to exhausted parents bringing their kids to McDonalds where the children become hooked on the junk food-- via copious amounts of salt, fat, and sugar -- which will then turn the child into a lifetime obese customer addicted to salt, fat, and sugar. The child, addicted to McD's Frankenfood, grows up and will then bring their own children to McDonalds to continue the junk food habit throughout their natural lives until they all die of a heart attack at the age of 45.

If we can ban Joe Camel in the name of public health then we can certainly ban Ronald McDonald, both of which serve the exact same purpose: to get kids addicted to unhealthy cigarettes/junk food.
So in other words... because people don't want to take responsibility for what they feed their children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies