Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 02:30 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,966,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Why is America so Hung up on Race Unlike Canada?
Perhaps because Canada isn't full of people like NewYorkGuy who are hung up on race.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:39 AM

24 posts, read 41,419 times
Default Racism=Ignorance and vice versa

In America, among the tough crowds, ignorance is a thing to be protected. I know it sounds irrational, but I have seen many a racist protect their beliefs, even if you show them proof of their misconception. But it seems the system, especially certain political parties, depend on this greatly.
Some of the most refreshing things I have experienced in my life were in Canada when people seemed to overlook the physical properties of my being and just focus on me.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:00 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,512,964 times
Canadians are normal unlike the US

Old 07-20-2011, 11:15 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,852,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
I made a recent visit to Canada and it basically lived up to all my expectations. The environment is clean and quiet and it has a more laid back feel than America. The people are very social and friendly and you just don't sense the tension in the air that is characteristic of life in America.

I visited a cousin of mine in what would be considered a low income area of Toronto (which is still pretty decent by the way) and I saw something that had me rethinking everything I knew about race relations from a socioeconomic standpoint. We all the know the situation in America regarding the prevalence of "white-flight" from major urban centers to the suburbs, the corresponding decay and poverty that exist within inner cities neighborhoods occupied predominantly by minorities, and the generally segregated ethnic enclaves that exist within the big cities.

Anyways, what I saw in this Toronto neighborhood was a diversity and mixing among the different ethnic groups that you'll never see anywhere in America. This particular area is known to have a large black population and it is a magnate for immigrants from the Caribbean as well as other places (I spotted quite a few Muslim women driving around the neighborhood wearing the hijab... something that I almost never see in America). Even so there is a sizable white population interspersed throughout the area. In fact my cousin's neighbors are white and I was surprised to see their kids playing with my cousin's kids and the other black kids from the area. We were having pizza outdoors and my cousin's white neighbor came over and join us and ate and chat with us.

I found it intriguing but refreshing at the same time. I watched them carefully (without making it obvious) and I saw absolutely no tension or indication that they were uncomfortable in the other's presence or with the fact that their kids were playing together in the yard. In fact I notice this several times in Canada - how comfortably whites and blacks interacted with each other. I've never seen such relaxed attitudes between whites and blacks in America.

The idea of white-flight is virtually non-existent in Canada. You'll find whites in the inner city and low income areas as much as the suburbs and high income areas. Racism is probably present there but you'll have to search hard to find it or it's very subdued UNLIKE America where it's virtually in your face everywhere you go (browse the threads here on CD and you'll see what I'm talking about). Maybe America should take a page out of Canada's book. Like Healthcare and their stable banking system, they seem to get it right time and time again. Go Canada!
It is not America, it is Some Americans. I have lived in many racially diverse towns where race was not an issue, so it is not the nation but a small number of people.
Casper

Old 07-20-2011, 07:29 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,494,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Trust me. I have traveled to EVERY state except Alaska, and most of them many times over.

I don't see the racial tension that you see. Maybe you need to hang with a different crowd.

And I've been to Canada many times too. There is huge racial tension between the French Canadians and the non French Canadians.
That's not racial tension, it's ethnic tension. And while it was bad, it was not even close, and still isn't, to the tension between white and black Americans.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:37 PM

154 posts, read 390,570 times
because black people will not stop swiping the 'oh so convenient' race card and move on. The food fight was over yesterday and some darker folks want to keep slinging left overs for attention. Its beyond old and this is coming from someone who could care less about skin and is just sick of the entire topic of race/color being beaten daily into the ground every time yout turn around. I feel like black history month is 12 months a year now, no other persectued color/religion in the world is getting daily attention for their history in a country, like blacks in america right now. Its riDICKulous.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:56 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,559,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna777 View Post
because black people will not stop swiping the 'oh so convenient' race card and move on. The food fight was over yesterday and some darker folks want to keep slinging left overs for attention. Its beyond old and this is coming from someone who could care less about skin and is just sick of the entire topic of race/color being beaten daily into the ground every time yout turn around. I feel like black history month is 12 months a year now, no other persectued color/religion in the world is getting daily attention for their history in a country, like blacks in america right now. Its riDICKulous.
Maybe if you guys didn't bring it up constantly then the issue would disappear (e.g. look on the barrage of threads about race on this site started by non-black people). Maybe if you guys didn't cling on to covert racism then there would be no need to discuss the issue. Have you considered that?

Old 07-20-2011, 11:00 PM

154 posts, read 390,570 times
newyorkguy, I agree white people as a majority (when concerning race) act like idiots....they are always trying to run out and get their "brother brownie point" or their Im not a racist badge of honor..

People are people, it will be nice when white people stop kissing black A$$ ( not saying they should be racist).

White people who have nothing to do with history have been given this false sense of guilt and they try to over compensate, in the process they never shut up, condone false use of the race card and make major a$$es out of themselves. White people lack common sense in the US, because they try so hard to be politically correct....to the point of being embarrASSingly incorrect.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:27 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,494,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna777 View Post
newyorkguy, I agree white people as a majority (when concerning race) act like idiots....they are always trying to run out and get their "brother brownie point" or their Im not a racist badge of honor..

People are people, it will be nice when white people stop kissing black A$$ ( not saying they should be racist).

White people who have nothing to do with history have been given this false sense of guilt and they try to over compensate, in the process they never shut up, condone false use of the race card and make major a$$es out of themselves. White people lack common sense in the US, because they try so hard to be politically correct....to the point of being embarrASSingly incorrect.
, seriously?

Old 05-19-2015, 08:26 AM

943 posts, read 777,173 times
I see Muslim women wearing the hijab all the time when I live in major US cities. I will not deny that Canada is less racist (significantly too), but your post is so ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies