Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 12:42 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,154,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
I thought you were an educator? Slavery led to Jim Crow. There are still people posting on the perils of a "darker America". Slavery served as really tainting race relations for generations. It was only in my father's generation that Jim Crow ended. He was already in college at that time. Many people were alive during Jim Crow...some sentiment of Blacks being inferior still persists...that legacy can be traced back to slavery.

He is probably a PE teacher

Old 06-24-2011, 01:09 AM

14,863 posts, read 8,152,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
Canada and America are probably the two most similar countries in the world. I don't buy the "hard to compare" excuse.

I would hardly consider them to be all that similar. Though Canada is definitely the most similar to America.

The thing about race and Canada is, there just aren't enough actual minorities for it to be a major issue. Secondly, most of the minorities that do exist are recent immigrants, who tend to come in with work VISA's and are usually the cream-of-the-crop of their former countries. The vast majority of the minorites in Canada are Asians, who just don't contribute any real social problems(who can hate Asians really?). I doubt Americans would be nearly as racial if blacks represented only 2.5% of the population and hispanics were only 1% of the population(which would undoubtedly be almost entirely contained in small clusters around major population centers), even if Asians were 6.7% or even 20% of the population.

Are blacks better off in Canada? That is subjective.. here are hate-crime statistics...

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/85f0033...008017-eng.pdf

Quote:
Half of all racially-motivated hate crimes reported by police in 2006 targeted Blacks and nearly twothirds
Quote:
of religiously-motivated hate crimes were directed at the Jewish faith.

Take a look at this report....

http://www.policyalternatives.ca/sit...wing%20Gap.pdf

"In 2005, long before the Great Recession wreaked havoc on Canada’s employment scene, the unemployment rate for racialized workers in Ontario was high — 8.7 per cent — compared to the 5.8 unemployment rate for the rest of Ontarians.

Sexism and racial discrimination pack a double wallop for racialized women in Ontario, seriously hampering their earnings. They made 53.4 cents for every dollar non-racialized men made in 2005. "

Canada is not some kind of special place that is somehow free from the racial problems we have in America. The only difference in Canada is that minorities havn't rioted in the streets yet, demanding benefits and reparations, and blaming the white man for all their problems.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:05 AM

25,024 posts, read 27,822,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
My neighbourhood was diverse, something I really miss in the U.S. Nothing like walking through little India or Greektown on my way something and seeing and smelling all the wonderful food.
Lol, why everytime I see a liberal making a case for diversity, it ALWAYS boils down to restaurant choices? I guess that's what being diverse to a liberal is. Just different food

Old 06-24-2011, 04:06 AM

996 posts, read 1,889,598 times
Canada has a lot less minorities than us, plus they don't have an illegal immigration problem ( or if they do, not as bad as ours)

We have a more complex history, and a longer history with racial issues (Slavery, jim crowe, civil rights era, dirty south).

Also, immigration wise, the KKK was a major anti-immigrant force, and the overall negative opinion of immigrants during the 1850's-1920's.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:33 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,029,739 times
I'd say America and Canada are equal on racism. I heard Western Canada (Alberta area) has some racism and the region is segregated.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:22 AM

13,625 posts, read 20,679,789 times
Why is America so Hung up on Race Unlike Canada?

Canada is hung up on Race.

Canada had and continues to have strife with the Quebecois minority. Canada has lousy relations with their indigenous populations. Canada locked up their citizens of Japanese ancestry as did the USA. Tension with Muslims and others is not unheard of.

Canada, like the northern US, had no plantation economy and thus no slavery. So most blacks are there by choice. It helped that the British set up slavery in the southern US and their Caribbean colonies.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:42 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,688,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
One big reason is we owned slaves, they didn't.
Are you kidding?

Canada had slavery. They also used to treat their minorities like crap.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:48 AM

52,212 posts, read 33,986,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Lol, why everytime I see a liberal making a case for diversity, it ALWAYS boils down to restaurant choices? I guess that's what being diverse to a liberal is. Just different food
patronizing the local ethiopian restaurant seems to give many leftists a smug sense of social responsibility

Old 06-24-2011, 03:21 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,560,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post

The thing about race and Canada is, there just aren't enough actual minorities for it to be a major issue. Secondly, most of the minorities that do exist are recent immigrants, who tend to come in with work VISA's and are usually the cream-of-the-crop of their former countries. The vast majority of the minorites in Canada are Asians, who just don't contribute any real social problems(who can hate Asians really?). I doubt Americans would be nearly as racial if blacks represented only 2.5% of the population and hispanics were only 1% of the population(which would undoubtedly be almost entirely contained in small clusters around major population centers), even if Asians were 6.7% or even 20% of the population.
There you go proving my whole point about racism in America. What you basically just said is that America's whole racial problem is due to the fact that we have a large black and latino population which in your view is inherently inferior to other ethnic groups like Asians. The fact that you think this way (and I'm sure there are millions of other Americans who share this sentiment) is a clear example of why America will continue to have racial tension in its society.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:10 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,159,689 times
The liberals and the media is hung up on race. The liberals love to divide the people of this country to keep their power...the media can't get past 1965 civil rights act..they hate it when a minority gets ahead...that ruins their template....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies