Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 08:41 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Millenials if anything, feel powerless. They know the game is rigged against them, at least for now. That doesn't mean they are unaware, naive, or stupid.

Also, it's funny that the OP cited the 1968 political events in Chicago...how did that end up working out for the protesters?
Even in the 60's & 70's kids figured this out......all of us are just a number (vote) to the government.

There is just a time in life politics are not of interest, I agree with you does not mean they're unaware, certainly not all are stupid, many, but not all!

Cell phones and tattoos have taken the top priority to too many!

How many know how to change a flat, check their own oil, bake a cake or repair a hole in a piece of clothing......if times get tough what is the plan.......it's not rigged just for now, hard times may just be around the corner.

It's the parents of the millennial that failed to show their kid to be prepared for the best and worst in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 07:06 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
"Millennials sleep as their future crumbles "
And Baby Boomers were so Stoned, they didn't know what the hell was going on. Their favorite Musicians were such big Junkies they made Brittney Spears look like a poster girl for Home and Garden. This selective memories the Boomers have is not always there.

The problem I see with Millenials it their drug of choice is spending 60 Hours a week glued to video games.
You have to work at it to figure your way through life. If you choose to check out and play games, you're moving backwards. All generations start on the down side and work their way up. That's just the way it is. Most of us have nothing when we are starting out but we figure it out and get on with our lives. I fear the Millenials won't because they seem to be checking into a fantasy world that is quite addictive. It's time to get off of the couch and start working to better themselves so they're of value to someone who will pay for their skills. It's going to be painful as it is for every generation.

I grew up in the 70's and my classmates needed to get down off of their high before they could get on with their lives. Hopefully this is just being young and not realizing yet that the person who has the most control in your life is the one looking back from the mirror. There is a time in every generation where they want to throw their hands up because "the generations before us ruined it so we might as well quit" and then they grow up and get on with life. I just hope that gaming and internet addiction don't blind them to this simple truth.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:11 PM

491 posts, read 324,576 times
Millenials haven't failed anyone, the folks in power in the 80s and 90s did. They enacted policies that irreversibly changed the society millennials will inherit.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:37 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times
As a millennial I know the game is rigged and the elder generations have left our country in the worst state it has been in, in a long time. I know that 99% of politicians are crooks, liars, and base tyrants at heart and that the honest few will never be allowed to advance (see: Congressman Ron Paul). I know that the welfare state and neverending warfare my parent's and grandparent's generations lustily voted for has left our country in pretty bad shape. Over 100 years of the Federal Reserve and a fiat currency has severally degraded the dollar and creates a "bubble economy" where every couple years the banksters will destroy the financial system and get rewarded with top positions in the government and trillion dollar bail out packages while the rest of us get the shaft.

I will continue to engage the political system if I see a candidate I actually believe in like Ron Paul or even his son Rand. However in the coming years I will do my best to withdraw from the beast and become self sufficient. I want to become as independent as possible and secede from the the system as much as possible as I see increasingly it offers me nothing. I look at our government and see something I didn't ask for, I do not want, and I refuse to legitimize.

I don't really blame the Boomers, I'm sure my generation wouldn't have done any better. I don't really lament my lot in life either because no one gets any say in the hand their dealt and plenty of people have it a lot worse than I do. I just realize that there is nothing for me in the current system so I will make moves to free myself of it.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:49 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times
Good luck with that, Socalbound. I would suggest that you won't be able to do that in So Cal.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:13 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,093 times
Older people gripe about every new generation that comes along- it's just human nature. When we Gen-Xers were young, all this same complaining was directed our way. We grew up and so will the millennials. And then old people will complain about the post millenials.

Fact is though that young people these days have it MUCH harder than my generation did. And much harder than the babyboomers (current crop of complainers) did.

Older Millenials are in the prime of their lives right now... and younger ones are just getting there. They see the hateful rank hypocrisy of their parents' generation, and they're abandoning that world view in droves. Millenials are far more likely to vote left, far less likely to attend church, far less likely to hate people different from them. They're by far the most ethnically diverse and technologically savvy generation so far. When their day in the sun comes- and it's fast approaching (right now it's mine but that won't last ), the WORLD will change. You hateful, selfish old babyboomers who are still around... you won't recognize the outside world. America will be fundamentally transformed- it's already well underway.

So hold on to your hate and your cash while you can. Just like your lives... its days are numbered.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:32 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Good luck with that, Socalbound. I would suggest that you won't be able to do that in So Cal.
Yes I do have plans of moving next year probably to Oregon.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:35 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,261,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
Hey, what can I say? Kids born after 1965 are the "taken care of" generation. We've never had to fight for much. Mommy and daddy made all our booboos go away.
Speak for yourself.

Nobody made my booboos go away and I'm an X'er.

Perhaps you mean kids born after 1980...the start of the Millennial generation.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:37 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Makes sense, 40 is the new 30 and blaming is the new responsible.
40 is not a Millennial. They're Generation X. I never thought of Millenials being children of boomers since I'm a child of boomers and I'm 46. Then again, my parents were very young when they had my sister and I (started as teenagers). I guess the boomers who went to college probably waited a while to have kids.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:44 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
Hey, what can I say? Kids born after 1965 are the "taken care of" generation. We've never had to fight for much. Mommy and daddy made all our booboos go away.
Speak for yourself. I wasn't part of the "taken care of" generation. My parents divorced when I was an infant, and my mother raised us by herself. That meant daycare, poverty, and not getting to do a lot of things other kids got to do because we couldn't afford it. Daddy wasn't around much. I always thought of my generation as the one that was largely left alone by our parents because of divorce and women entering the work force. Maybe that was just my experience, but I had many friends going through the same things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies