Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 05:55 AM

589 posts, read 376,466 times

Advertisements

The 1968 riots at the Democratic National Convention in Chicago remain vivid in my mind, as do so many marches and demonstrations by young people of that era, primarily protesting the Vietnam War and demanding civil rights for all.
Young Americans were politically naive in 1960 but at least willing to be engaged. Although I remember the various protests and marches, I was either squirrel hunting or putting a sharp edge on my sonic guitar-slaying skills, having not awakened to my “we the people” duties quite yet. Regrettably, I knew nothing about politics and, sadly, little of our nation’s history.

NUGENT: Millennials sleep as their future crumbles - Washington Times

I don't think Obama will be able to have them so easily this time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 07:08 AM

717 posts, read 898,336 times
Excuse us, Boomers, for not having the same passion for politics as you did. Maybe you should've turned off MTV and did some actual parenting.

We'll take the wheel when we're ready, but for now we're just comfortable blaming you for all our problems.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:15 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,784,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
Excuse us, Boomers, for not having the same passion for politics as you did. Maybe you should've turned off MTV and did some actual parenting.

We'll take the wheel when we're ready, but for now we're just comfortable blaming you for all our problems.
Makes sense, 40 is the new 30 and blaming is the new responsible.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:21 AM

717 posts, read 898,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Makes sense, 40 is the new 30 and blaming is the new responsible.
Hey, what can I say? Kids born after 1965 are the "taken care of" generation. We've never had to fight for much. Mommy and daddy made all our booboos go away.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:40 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,922,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
Hey, what can I say? Kids born after 1965 are the "taken care of" generation. We've never had to fight for much. Mommy and daddy made all our booboos go away.
I saw a picture of the insanity Glenn beck's book Arguing with Idiots was referring to with bikes. Back then you have a picture of a bike rider with just a helmet. Nowadays that same picture is outfitted with homing beacons, high visibility jacket, cell phone, pepper spray, and all manner of other ridiculous health and safety items.

Kids aren't allowed to have scraped knees anymore. If they do, then it's a lifetime of ingesting Ritalin and psychological counseling on how it was the sidewalk's fault that you fell and it's not your fault.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:13 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,228 times
I don't see what 'marching on washington' or any of that 1960's protest crap will do to make a real difference.

Personally? I work 50 hours/week and am putting myself through grad school at night so I can have a decent job and clean up the mess boomers left me. I have more productive things to take a week off and 'protest'.

Both democrats and republicans have screwed this country over in the last few decades. Government is not the solution, it is the problem. I don't want to protest and I don't want the government to try to fix anything. Everything the government tries to fix ends up broken even more. Leave me alone and let me provide for myself.

Sincerely, a 25 year old.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:33 AM

58 posts, read 52,431 times
I've never understood the ideas of everyone from a certain generation being pegged into such specific holes. I myself and most of my friends are in the 28 to 30 range (not sure what generation that is, I don't keep up on that), some of them have kids and none of them baby them into oblivion, we all have jobs that we work hard at, we all take responisibility for ourselves. It seems to me that the extreme cases always get the most attention. Most of the people I know in my age range are exactly what I described above. Every generation has its responsible people and its lazy people.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:06 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,321,055 times
Just like with the last civic (G.I.) generation of the 1920s and 1930s, they weren't really doing anything until the time of WWII began. That was when they put all of their energy into fighting and protecting our country.

Right now, the Millennials are the new civic generation. Both are coming of age during economic hardships and delaying marriage and living at home.

Both were becoming increasingly protected by society during childhood. With the GI generation, new playgrounds were created, scouting clubs (boys and girls scouts) and child labor laws were put in place.

With the Millennials, society had become more "child-centered", college has become a huge deal with this generation, new rules were put in place for children by mom groups and mothers against drunk drivers, society seems to now stigmatize people for spanking their kids which was something that was encouraged in the past. School uniforms have surged in popularity and school rules have become more strict to protect the children. Colleges now have to deal with helicopter parents to make sure their kids are "safe" while new at college.

So the lack of interest to protest may be due to their upbringing.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:10 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,316,014 times
Nugent is a scum bucket.

Always has been.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:13 AM

898 posts, read 827,555 times
Wow, with that brilliant comment it's no wonder you're so highly repped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies