Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 10:26 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT3 View Post
Yep. Ordinarily, the Miller experiment would be sufficient evidence to prove the hypothesis that oil and natural gas formed from inorganic matter. But where does that leave the evos and their theory of how life began? Did life begin as oil?
How'd you jump to that conclusion, Doctor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 10:31 AM

1,019 posts, read 590,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
From what I gather, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but the term "fossil fuel" means basically that unrefined oil is "rotten dinosaurs" to put it in the simplest, most elementary terms. Does anyone else find this absolutely absurd? Where and how did this line of thinking come about? Why is it only dead dinosaurs that become oil? Why doesn't your dead Grandma Gert become oil?

I'm sure that unfortunately I will be personally attacked as usual, instead of the actual thread topic, but if it is possible to avoid attacking me and discuss the actual subject, someone please explain to me this theory, because as of right now "fossil fuels" sounds as credibility as "flat earth."
There is no rotten dinosaurs in petroleum. It is composed of organic material in a body of water (usually ocean) settle to the bottom, creating layers many thousands of feed deep. The pressure creates a intermediate stone-like substance called kerogen, which then, in turn, under heat from the earth's mantle, undergoes a transformation to either gas or petroleum (crude oil). Such substances (gas and crude) only occur in areas once under deep whater for many millions of years.

The term "fossil fuel", which is just about any of the fuels we drill for or mine (petro or coal) are reasonably described by the term fossil fuels (as opposed to wood, which is not "fossil" in nature.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:34 AM

1,019 posts, read 590,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
Oil is not only from dead dinosaurs but from dead plants, animals, bugs, and all other organic matter.
Not at all true. that may describe coal fairly well, but not "oil".

Old 06-24-2011, 10:42 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT3 View Post
Ordinarily, the Miller experiment would be sufficient evidence to prove the hypothesis that oil and natural gas formed from inorganic matter.
It would?

Old 06-24-2011, 10:50 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
How about a simple experiment that we can all conduct.

Eats some beans and fart, what is that smell?

Gas.

Now when you fart, light a match.

What happens?

You get flames.

Why?

Methane!

The same principle component of.... natural gas!

So for anyone who believes that natural gas which is found, surprisingly alongside petroleum and coal deposits and thinks that such things are not comprised decomposed of organic material is nuts.

And Yes, You can try this one at home!

Old 06-24-2011, 10:55 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,589 times
The OP is a perfect example of the anti-education that is perpetuated by the religious right in this country.

Of course, how would a person believe where fossil fuels originate when they think the world is 6000 years old and they don't believe in evolution?

Old 06-24-2011, 10:56 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

Gas.

What happens?

You get flames.

Why?

Methane!

So for anyone who believes that natural gas which is found, surprisingly alongside petroleum and coal deposits and thinks that such things are not comprised decomposed of organic material is nuts.

I once saw someone combine these experiments, with hilarious results.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:01 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
The OP is a perfect example of the anti-education that is perpetuated by the religious right in this country.

Of course, how would a person believe where fossil fuels originate when they think the world is 6000 years old and they don't believe in evolution?
Rep to you.

Actually, this thread poses a good question. When and how does the "Intelligent Design" crowd believe fossil fuels were made???

Old 06-24-2011, 11:03 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words but a movie is worth millions.

YouTube - ‪VOTED #1 BEST: Fart - Human Blue Flame Thrower DIY‬‏

Old 06-24-2011, 11:05 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

Gas.

What happens?

You get flames.

Why?

Methane!

I wish that this would have been the first response to the ridiculous OP and the thread had ended at that point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies