Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 11:06 AM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
The OP is a perfect example of the anti-education that is perpetuated by the religious right in this country.

Of course, how would a person believe where fossil fuels originate when they think the world is 6000 years old and they don't believe in evolution?
Bravo! And she's also a perfect example of what happens when a person has too much time on her hands and needs a fulfilling hobby like, say, joining the Westboro Church.

The OP appears to be just another gadfly obsessed with stirring up trouble with blinders firmly in place and mind completely closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 11:09 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,007,828 times
Fuel up!

Old 06-24-2011, 11:12 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
From what I gather, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but the term "fossil fuel" means basically that unrefined oil is "rotten dinosaurs" to put it in the simplest, most elementary terms. Does anyone else find this absolutely absurd? Where and how did this line of thinking come about? Why is it only dead dinosaurs that become oil? Why doesn't your dead Grandma Gert become oil?

I'm sure that unfortunately I will be personally attacked as usual, instead of the actual thread topic, but if it is possible to avoid attacking me and discuss the actual subject, someone please explain to me this theory, because as of right now "fossil fuels" sounds as credibility as "flat earth."
For those of us who know that the earth is more than 6000 years old, the answer is quite clear.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:14 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. We do not turn into sludge or oil; you guys have bought the scam hook, line and sinker.
I think you are right, and I'm kinda like a scientist, ya know.

Let the biologists try to make a one ounce piece of coal out of an elephant with fern accoutrements.

Some mornings I just wake up with fossilized wood.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:15 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
I feel like Mr. Science.

Carbon

Carbon ( /ˈkɑrbən/) is the chemical element with symbol C and atomic number 6. As a member of group 14 on the periodic table, it is nonmetallic and tetravalent—making four electrons available to form covalent chemical bonds. There are three naturally occurring isotopes, with 12C and 13C being stable, while 14C is radioactive, decaying with a half-life of about 5730 years.[9] Carbon is one of the few elements known since antiquity.[10][11] The name "carbon" comes from Latin carbo, coal.

Under terrestrial conditions, conversion of one element to another is very rare. Therefore, the amount of carbon on Earth is effectively constant. Thus, processes that use carbon must obtain it somewhere and dispose of it somewhere else. The paths that carbon follows in the environment make up the carbon cycle. For example, plants draw carbon dioxide out of their environment and use it to build biomass, as in carbon respiration or the Calvin cycle, a process of carbon fixation. Some of this biomass is eaten by animals, whereas some carbon is exhaled by animals as carbon dioxide. The carbon cycle is considerably more complicated than this short loop; for example, some carbon dioxide is dissolved in the oceans; dead plant or animal matter may become petroleum or coal, which can burn with the release of carbon, should bacteria not consume it.[53][54]

Carbon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Chemical composition of Petroleum

In its strictest sense, petroleum includes only crude oil, but in common usage it includes all liquid, gaseous, and solid (e.g., paraffin) hydrocarbons. Under surface pressure and temperature conditions, lighter hydrocarbons methane, ethane, propane and butane occur as gases, while pentane and heavier ones are in the form of liquids or solids. However, in an underground oil reservoir the proportions of gas, liquid, and solid depend on subsurface conditions and on the phase diagram of the petroleum mixture.[7]

An oil well produces predominantly crude oil, with some natural gas dissolved in it. Because the pressure is lower at the surface than underground, some of the gas will come out of solution and be recovered (or burned) as associated gas or solution gas. A gas well produces predominantly natural gas. However, because the underground temperature and pressure are higher than at the surface, the gas may contain heavier hydrocarbons such as pentane, hexane, and heptane in the gaseous state. At surface conditions these will condense out of the gas to form natural gas condensate, often shortened to condensate. Condensate resembles petrol in appearance and is similar in composition to some volatile light crude oils.

The proportion of light hydrocarbons in the petroleum mixture varies greatly among different oil fields, ranging from as much as 97% by weight in the lighter oils to as little as 50% in the heavier oils and bitumens.

The hydrocarbons in crude oil are mostly alkanes, cycloalkanes and various aromatic hydrocarbons while the other organic compounds contain nitrogen, oxygen and sulfur, and trace amounts of metals such as iron, nickel, copper and vanadium. The exact molecular composition varies widely from formation to formation but the proportion of chemical elements vary over fairly narrow limits as follows:[8]

Petroleum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Composition by weight

Element Percent range

Carbon 83 to 87%
Hydrogen 10 to 14%
Nitrogen 0.1 to 2%
Oxygen 0.05 to 1.5%
Sulfur 0.05 to 6.0%
Metals < 0.1%

Is it sinking through yet?

Old 06-24-2011, 11:18 AM

1,167 posts, read 2,170,290 times
This was just a troll thread man. The majority of the threads on this forum are troll threads, flame bait, or just random ranting.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:19 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
Quote:
How? Why not your dead grandpa, or a that dead mouse you killed? You've been scammed.
Your dead grandmother could contribute to fossil fuel creation too, but the process involves many thousands of years. Has your grandmother been under the ground for thousands of years? Didn't think so. That's why you hear about creatures like dinosaurs involved in this, because they've been dead a really ling time. Specific regional geological circumstances also play a major factor.

You know, instead of immediately assuming that everything beyond your understanding is a "scam", you could try to educate yourself a bit about the topic. I'm no expert on this topic, but I do know that there is a lot of scientific evidence and research on this conducted by people far smarter and better qualified than you or me - which you could find in layman's terms from from multiple credible sources if you just did a simple Google search.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:20 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,129,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words but a movie is worth millions.

YouTube - &#x202a;VOTED #1 BEST: Fart - Human Blue Flame Thrower DIY&#x202c;&rlm;
The incident I witnessed actually resulted in injury, or depilation at least.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:27 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words but a movie is worth millions.

YouTube - &#x202a;VOTED #1 BEST: Fart - Human Blue Flame Thrower DIY&#x202c;&rlm;
I wonder if Hannibal had elephant flame throwers.

"One of his most famous achievements was at the outbreak of the Second Punic War, when he marched an army, which included war elephants, from Iberia over the Pyrenees and the Alps into northern Italy."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannibal

Don't let yourself be mooned by an elephant; they might have flint-spark tails.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:32 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,986,824 times
Quote:
How? Why not your dead grandpa, or a that dead mouse you killed? You've been scammed.
Yopu have to put the stuff way under ground to get it to turn into oil. Miles under ground. It takes a long time. A really long time. Put grampa ion the ground and weight for him get pushed under ground by plate tectonics then he will be fossil fuel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies