Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 12:25 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,486,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
Not true, really. I have a savings account for emergencies, that gets added to on a monthly basis. I am far from rich, but have been living frugally for so long that that is very comfortable for me. (I do have a few somewhat expensive avocations), and lately, have been spending a bit more $$ that I ought to, buying musical instruments, but these are instruments that will keep or grow in value, and could be sold, in case of dire necessety!
You don't have to explain anything.

This thread was supposedly started "tounge in cheek"...yeah, right. 99% of "joking" is founded in truthiness.

Buy what you want to drive.

What's next?

How expensive is your couch? Your TV? What SIZE TV do you have and what does that say about you?

What kind of flooring do you have in your home? Bamboo or exotic hardwood? Carpet? Do you cut your lawn with a John Deere or a Craftsman or hire it out? What does that say about YOU (just kidding, really, it's all a joke, it's says nothing about you, but I'll tell you what I believe it does).

Do you have central vac or a Dyson or a Hoover upright? What does that say about you?

Do you have a pool? Inground? 20 x 40 Grecian, standard free-form or custom? Above ground? Blow -up pool with filter or kiddie $9.99 pool? What does that say about you? Nothing really, but I'll tell you what I believe it does.

Do you clean your own home or do your hire someone to do it for you? What does that say about you?

Do you have your kids in private or public? What does that say about you...?

How many kids do you have or not? What does that say about you...?

How do you invest? Where are your assets? What does that say about you?

Where do you buy your clothing? Khol's or Bloomingdale's? What does that say about you?

WHO CARES what the Jones's or the liberals or the conservatives or the whacked out fundies think of how anyone chooses to live their lives or what they drive, as long as it's not illegal or literally harming someone else. No one has to like it, but no one has to ask anyone else's permission either.

I drive what I drive because I want to.

I owe no one an explanation.

No one owes anyone an explanation yet I've seen more than a few, all for the OP's sake, who is only pretending not to have an agenda or a personal root cause for even starting the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 12:27 AM

10 posts, read 78,862 times
I rather go with type of Car i like. no more argument !!!!!!!

Old 07-01-2011, 12:28 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
I don't buy cars to make "statements." I frankly couldn't care less what other people think about what I drive.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:00 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,398,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I am sure that some people will say that I am not trying to make a statement...I bought for XY&Z reasons. Well here is my opinion.

Truck - A person that does not use a truck for business purposes is trying to say...that she is a redneck and proud of it. Message received.

Luxury Foreign CAr , BMW 7 series etc. - They want everyone to know that they have money, whether they actually have money or not.

Prius - the main statement is I am not a Redneck. They could also be saying I am environmentally conscious. They are not saying that I am practical, because despite the savings in gas you still have to pay more for the car than you save in gas.

Subaru Outback - You are saying I am liberal, but I like to get out there are have fun, whether you actually do or not.

Honda Accord - You are saying, that I don't care about status. I am more practical.

Suburban or Mega SUV - You are telling me people that you are an idiot. It does not matter if it will fit in a parking space and only gets 8 miles to the gallon. Usually driven by women who have Penis envy.

Mustang - Corvette - Modern day muscle car - What you are trying to tell people is that you are manly or a bad ass woman. What people actually receive is that you are probably compensating for having a small wanker or the fact that you are 5'2.

Thoughts.
I'm an idiot redneck with penis envy....woo-hoo...

Old 07-01-2011, 02:09 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
so you dont think taking 1000 tons of nickle from the ground in order to make the batteries is damaging the enviroment? how hypocritical of the enviro left.
I didn't say that, did I? I asked you to provide some good sources of information.

I have two hybrids, and green wasn't the primary factors for my purchases. The tax credits, fuel efficiency, and low-end torque were.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:16 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,947,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
You don't have to explain anything.

This thread was supposedly started "tounge in cheek"...yeah, right. 99% of "joking" is founded in truthiness.

Buy what you want to drive.

What's next?

How expensive is your couch? Your TV? What SIZE TV do you have and what does that say about you?

What kind of flooring do you have in your home? Bamboo or exotic hardwood? Carpet? Do you cut your lawn with a John Deere or a Craftsman or hire it out? What does that say about YOU (just kidding, really, it's all a joke, it's says nothing about you, but I'll tell you what I believe it does).

Do you have central vac or a Dyson or a Hoover upright? What does that say about you?

Do you have a pool? Inground? 20 x 40 Grecian, standard free-form or custom? Above ground? Blow -up pool with filter or kiddie $9.99 pool? What does that say about you? Nothing really, but I'll tell you what I believe it does.

Do you clean your own home or do your hire someone to do it for you? What does that say about you?

Do you have your kids in private or public? What does that say about you...?

How many kids do you have or not? What does that say about you...?

How do you invest? Where are your assets? What does that say about you?

Where do you buy your clothing? Khol's or Bloomingdale's? What does that say about you?

WHO CARES what the Jones's or the liberals or the conservatives or the whacked out fundies think of how anyone chooses to live their lives or what they drive, as long as it's not illegal or literally harming someone else. No one has to like it, but no one has to ask anyone else's permission either.

I drive what I drive because I want to.

I owe no one an explanation.

No one owes anyone an explanation yet I've seen more than a few, all for the OP's sake, who is only pretending not to have an agenda or a personal root cause for even starting the thread.
Do you feel better? You never answered the question. I guess you don't like what you car says about you. Based on your post, I would think it was something like an avalanche. What is the agenda of this thread. Most thought it was fun. I thought it was interesting.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Do you feel better? You never answered the question. I guess you don't like what you car says about you. Based on your post, I would think it was something like an avalanche. What is the agenda of this thread. Most thought it was fun. I thought it was interesting.
You never answered me about my cars. Does my car holdings make me a more well rounded person?

//www.city-data.com/forum/19747141-post202.html

Old 07-01-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You never answered me about my cars. Does my car holdings make me a more well rounded person?

//www.city-data.com/forum/19747141-post202.html
Are you the only one who drives these cars? That would make a difference. The mercedes is a very expensive car...I think over 90K. It is a beautiful car, but obviously not everyone can afford it, which makes it a status car, which means that you like the fact that other people know you have money. It is a hybrid, but you can get better gas mileage out of a lot cheaper vehicles so it does not have that much green value, but it gets additional status value for being more rare...hybrid mercedes.

If you are the only person that drives the other two cars, then you are also practical in that you don't want to put too many miles on the new car. It also means that you don't want to mess up the new car carrying crap around the city.

Based on all three types of cars. You have money, but probably not a small business owner, not a doctor...Probably an IT person. The other two cars are more in the dorky variety and the new expensive car altoghter screams socially awkward IT geek.

This is just my best guess. I am frequently wrong.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Are you the only one who drives these cars? That would make a difference. The mercedes is a very expensive car...I think over 90K. It is a beautiful car, but obviously not everyone can afford it, which makes it a status car, which means that you like the fact that other people know you have money. It is a hybrid, but you can get better gas mileage out of a lot cheaper vehicles so it does not have that much green value, but it gets additional status value for being more rare...hybrid mercedes.

If you are the only person that drives the other two cars, then you are also practical in that you don't want to put too many miles on the new car. It also means that you don't want to mess up the new car carrying crap around the city.

Based on all three types of cars. You have money, but probably not a small business owner, not a doctor...Probably an IT person. The other two cars are more in the dorky variety and the new expensive car altoghter screams socially awkward IT geek.

This is just my best guess. I am frequently wrong.
Lol.... I have a few businesses, one that is IT. Two which are franchise daycare centers, and another which is a staffing/recruiting service. So I'd fall in the small business category. All three vehicles are business vehicles which I solely drive. The only reason I have the Taurus (which recently replaced a 2001 Taurus that got totaled) is because it's the station wagon model and I need to haul large amounts of supplies for the schools. Frankly, I don't care about money.

Last edited by NJBest; 07-01-2011 at 09:01 PM..

Old 07-03-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Lol.... I have a few businesses, one that is IT. Two which are franchise daycare centers, and another which is a staffing/recruiting service. So I'd fall in the small business category. All three vehicles are business vehicles which I solely drive. The only reason I have the Taurus (which recently replaced a 2001 Taurus that got totaled) is because it's the station wagon model and I need to haul large amounts of supplies for the schools. Frankly, I don't care about money.
Well I got the IT part right. I am pretty good at this. No wonder I get paid for it. You obviously care about money or you would not start a for profit business. That is not a slam...most people care about money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies